Why did St. Pius V banish the Jews from the Papal States?

(August 1568); the banishment of the Jews from the ecclesiastical dominions except Rome and Ancona (1569);

From Wikipedia: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pope_Pius_V

I don't think he did . . St. Pius V may have given them (the Jews) a passage exit during WWII. (At least in theory)

Pius V lived loooooooooong before WWII

[quote="Wesley7, post:2, topic:264429"]
I don't think he did . . St. Pius V may have given them (the Jews) a passage exit during WWII. (At least in theory)

[/quote]

That would be Pius XII. Pius V was in the mid 1500's. I do not, however, have an answer to the OP's question.

~ Pius :knight1:

[quote="MartyrForJesus, post:1, topic:264429"]

[/quote]

I would see a real reference instead of a Wikipedia paragraph. In the same paragraph it is quoted that St. Pius V was responsible for "the dogmatic certainty of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary (November 1570)". The Dogmatic certainty was in 1854 (Pius IX).

[quote="Cristiano, post:5, topic:264429"]
I would see a real reference instead of a Wikipedia paragraph. In the same paragraph it is quoted that St. Pius V was responsible for "the dogmatic certainty of the Immaculate Conception of the Virgin Mary (November 1570)". The Dogmatic certainty was in 1854 (Pius IX).

[/quote]

I didn't even pick up on that! Good point!

~ Pius :knight1:

I haven't been able to find anything other then references to Hebraeorum gens Feb. 26, 1569. I can't find this document anywhere though...

Hmmm.... interesting stuff. Anyways, I'm off to bed. 2:40 AM and I got exams tomorrow.

God Bless.

Just one more episode in the long, ugly, tragic history of Christian antisemitism. The New Testament is full of verses--both veiled and explicit--blaming the Jews for murdering Christ--no need to recount those here.

If we take Jesus at his word: "Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do," this never should have happened. God's love and mercy extends to all human beings--Christians, Jews, Muslims, Buddhists, Hindus, and--yes--atheists. How God reconciles Himself to all souls in eternity only He, alone, knows, but my redemption depends upon following my Lord's commandment to love my neighbor as myself. This is one of the two Great Commandments.

The reign of Pius V was at a time when the Church saw itself under siege in many quarters, especially the Protestant Reformation, and from the Islamic Turks. Pius V also declared Elizabeth I a heretic in Regnans in Excelsis, which set-off retaliatory anti-Catholic measures in England.

This does not excuse the anti-Jewish actions of the Church, but it does provide some historical context for his actions.

Racial hatred and stereotyping are malignant. While the Church was not responsible for the Holocaust, the murder of the Jews can certainly be traced to Christianity's history.

That is an excellent point.

St. Pius V. had numerous challenges during his reign as Pope but I can not understand how the representative of God on Earth can fall into the anti-semitic views. I don't get that. He is a Saint, some say he spoke infallible on the mass, and yet this happens?

I can't get how we build beautiful cathedrals while the poor are dying on the street due to famine.

[quote="michaelmas, post:10, topic:264429"]
.............I can't get how we build beautiful cathedrals while the poor are dying on the street due to famine.

[/quote]

Is giving thanks to God and the salvation of the souls more important than a full stomach? Are the people dying of famine because the Church is building Churches or because we are so greedy that we rather use food to save money on gasoline? The food is there for everybody, it is just that people do not like to share and they prefer to go against the teachings of the Church.

The Jews were banish from other countries such as England, Spain, Germany, other countries. They never had full rights in Europe well into the 19th century.

[quote="hn160, post:12, topic:264429"]
The Jews were banish from other countries such as England, Spain, Germany, other countries. They never had full rights in Europe well into the 19th century.

[/quote]

That still doesn't answer the tough question as to why a Saint would do this. I am a fan of Pius V and what he did for the mass. What I am not a fan of is how God's representative could do this.

I understand the time and how Europe did not recognize these people but this is the Pope. He should be divinely lead and he is a Saint.

[quote="hn160, post:12, topic:264429"]

[/quote]

Edward I expelled the Jews from England in 1290. Oliver Cromwell allowed them to return in 1655. Allegedly this was because he thought that the exclusion of the Jews from England was delaying the Second Coming, as that could not happen until the Jews had been scattered to the "four corners of the earth". So not allowing them into England was impeding Biblical prophecy.

rossum

Here is the Catholic Ency article on Pope Saint Piux V.
oce.catholic.com/index.php?title=Pope_Pius_V%2C_Saint

[quote="puzzleannie, post:15, topic:264429"]
Here is the Catholic Ency article on Pope Saint Piux V.
oce.catholic.com/index.php?title=Pope_Pius_V%2C_Saint

[/quote]

it makes no mention of expulsion of the Jews, because

It was Paul IV, not Pius V, who expelled the Jews from the Pontifical States
[/FONT]http://oce.catholic.com/index.php?title=Jews_and_Judaism
this is the article, on Jews an d Judaism, in the Catholic Ency
since it is so long here is the specific quote

The early Roman pontiffs of the sixteenth century had Jewish physicians and were favorable to the Jews and the Maranos of their states. Time soon came, however, when the Sephardic Jews of Italy fared differently. As early as 1532, the accusation of child murder nearly entailed the extermination of the Jews of Rome. In 1555, Paul IV revived the ancient canons against the Jews which forbade them the practice of medicine, the pursuit of high commerce, and the ownership of real estate. He also consigned them to a Ghetto, and compelled them to wear a Jew badge. In 1569, Pius IV expelled all the Jews from the Pontifical States, except Rome and Ancona. Sixtus V (1585-1590) recalled them; but, soon after him, Clement VIII (1592-1605) banished them again partially, at the very moment when the Maranos of Italy lost their last place of refuge in Ferrara. Similar misfortunes befell the Jewish race in other states of Italy as the Spanish domination extended there: Naples banished the Jews in 1541; Genoa, in 1550; Milan, in 1597. Hence-forward, most Sephardic fugitives simply passed through Italy when on their way to the Turkish Empire.

Since by and large the discussion so far ignores historical context I suggest first reading the entire article, which is honest about the bitter experience of European Jewry, including the actions of various Popes in defending them against persecution by civil states, as well as the shameful actions of other Popes and church leaders. The "ancient canons" referred to are for instance the decress of the Fourth Lateran Council against Jews in the 13th c codifying some earlier actions.

[quote="michaelmas, post:13, topic:264429"]
That still doesn't answer the tough question as to why a Saint would do this. I am a fan of Pius V and what he did for the mass. What I am not a fan of is how God's representative could do this.

I understand the time and how Europe did not recognize these people but this is the Pope. He should be divinely lead and he is a Saint.

[/quote]

I too am scandalized that someone who would one day be declared a saint would do such a thing, but I think all we can say is that like all of us future saints are sinners too. Only one saint, I recall, was immaculately conceived.

I think the Jews were expelled from England because the king owed them too much money.

Pius V probably saw the Jews as a threat to the Christian faith of his subjects in the Papal States. That's not to defend such cruelty.

Zeal for the faith, sad to say, can be perverted, can become mixed and distorted by other less laudable motives. Why has anti-Judaism poisoned so much of Christian history? Because Christians envious of the success of Jews, greedy for the wealth of Jews, fearful of the Jews as a social other (i.e for merely being different) have justified their hatred on religious grounds. Christians have condemned Jews as deicides, forgetting (or perhaps in order to forget) that it is the sins of the whole human race, Christians included, that brought Our Lord to death on a cross.

[quote="puzzleannie, post:16, topic:264429"]
it makes no mention of expulsion of the Jews, because

It was Paul IV, not Pius V, who expelled the Jews from the Pontifical States
http://oce.catholic.com/index.php?title=Jews_and_Judaism
this is the article, on Jews an d Judaism, in the Catholic Ency
since it is so long here is the specific quote

The early Roman pontiffs of the sixteenth century had Jewish physicians and were favorable to the Jews and the Maranos of their states. Time soon came, however, when the Sephardic Jews of Italy fared differently. As early as 1532, the accusation of child murder nearly entailed the extermination of the Jews of Rome. In 1555, Paul IV revived the ancient canons against the Jews which forbade them the practice of medicine, the pursuit of high commerce, and the ownership of real estate. He also consigned them to a Ghetto, and compelled them to wear a Jew badge. In 1569, Pius IV expelled all the Jews from the Pontifical States, except Rome and Ancona. Sixtus V (1585-1590) recalled them; but, soon after him, Clement VIII (1592-1605) banished them again partially, at the very moment when the Maranos of Italy lost their last place of refuge in Ferrara. Similar misfortunes befell the Jewish race in other states of Italy as the Spanish domination extended there: Naples banished the Jews in 1541; Genoa, in 1550; Milan, in 1597. Hence-forward, most Sephardic fugitives simply passed through Italy when on their way to the Turkish Empire.

Since by and large the discussion so far ignores historical context I suggest first reading the entire article, which is honest about the bitter experience of European Jewry, including the actions of various Popes in defending them against persecution by civil states, as well as the shameful actions of other Popes and church leaders. The "ancient canons" referred to are for instance the decress of the Fourth Lateran Council against Jews in the 13th c codifying some earlier actions.

[/quote]

Pius V cite from the Britannica Encyclopedia

books.google.com/books?id=m2AgAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA154&lpg=PA154&dq=the+denunciation+of+the+%22dirum+nefas%22+(August+1568);+the+banishment+of+the+Jews&source=bl&ots=l1kXaI5Z78&sig=RMTzsxh_dNwe0_aMlr3rhvCI8Ew&hl=en&ei=9jXWTuusNoH3sQLYi-GFDw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=1&ved=0CB0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=the%20denunciation%20of%20the%20%22dirum%20nefas%22%20(August%201568)%3B%20the%20banishment%20of%20the%20Jews&f=false

Without researching further into deeper historical references this is where WikiPedia gets their information.

ON Saints being Sinners except 1, Mary the mother of our Lord, I agree. Saints are sometimes the best sinners as well.

[quote="MartyrForJesus, post:1, topic:264429"]

[/quote]

The Bull Hebraeorum gens ("The Jewish Race") 1569, of Saint Pius V, which expelled Jews from some of the Papal states, began with these words:

"The Jewish people fell from the heights because of their faithlessness and condemned their Redeemer to a shameful death. Their godlessness has assumed such forms that, for the salvation of our own people, it becomes necessary to prevent their disease. Besides usury, through which Jews everywhere have sucked dry the property of impoverished Christians, they are accomplices of thieves and robbers; and the most damaging aspect of the matter is that they allure the unsuspecting through magical incantations, superstition, and witchcraft to the Synagogue of Satan and boast of being able to predict the future. We have carefully investigated how this revolting sect abuses the name of Christ and how harmful they are to those whose life is threatened by their deceit. On account of these and other serious matters, and because of the gravity of their crimes which increase day to day more and more, We order that, within 90 days, all Jews in our entire earthly realm of justice -- in all towns, districts, and places -- must depart these regions."

The above is quoted in modern anti-Semitic works, including Catholic publications and the Stormfront Website.

The above is quoted in modern anti-Semitic works, including Catholic publications and the Stormfront Website.

No statement that is truly Catholic should include such remarks, that said the Pope of any era is fallible and is lead divinely regarding the doctrines of the Church. This document does not as I can see rise to such a level. Ant-semitic attitudes of these kind have infected both westenr and eastern Christianity at times.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.