Why did the catholic bible change Timothy 1:7

“For God has not given us a spirit of fear and timidity, but of power, love, and self-discipline”

vs

“God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but the Spirit of power and love and self-control.”

The spirit of fear is a important thing to list. Because God is not fear God is only love.

Why does the New American Bible leave this out?

If you know much about how spirits work. You would know the spirit of fear is not of God. God is only love. It bugs me also that there is also prayers that “invoke” the spirit of fear.

Prayer is a type of magic. Portals spirits to be present. “Invocation”

Although some might dispute with me saying this for lack of understanding of magic, and bias judgement towards it due to fear forced down by media, news, and stories of demonic possession. I know much knowledge on the subject of magic. Magic is not more grave a sin then having sex before marriage. Demonic possession due to magic only happens to those who have ignorance on the subject, and jump into it with spells from a 10 dollar grimoire bought on amazon or something.

It kind of bugs me that the catholic church does this. It’s already enough that ceremonial magic is happening during the mass. Although it is white magic. It is magic nonetheless.

So why for the change? Makes me wonder why the catholic church is subliminally instilling fear upon people.

What are you talking about??

2 Timothy 1:7

King James Version (KJV)

7 For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind.

2 Timothy 1:7

New Revised Standard Version Catholic Edition (NRSVCE)

7 for God did not give us a spirit of cowardice, but rather a spirit of power and of love and of self-discipline.

Sirach 1:11The fear of the Lord is glory and exultation, gladness and a festive crown.
12The fear of the Lord rejoices the heart, giving gladness, joy, and long life.†
13Those who fear the Lord will be happy at the end, even on the day of death they will be blessed. 14The beginning of wisdom is to fear the Lord; she is created with the faithful in the womb.

Isaiah 11: 2 The spirit of the LORD shall rest upon him:a spirit of wisdom and of understanding, A spirit of counsel and of strength, a spirit of knowledge and of fear of the LORD, 3and his delight shall be the fear of the LORD…

Proverbs 15:16 Better a little with fear of the LORD than a great fortune with anxiety

Psalms 115:11Those who fear the LORD trust in the LORD, who is their help and shield.

Psalms 103:13As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him.

Peace

Timidity is a synonym of fear. And there is only one Greek word in the original, so the NAB is a little more literal than the New Living Translation you cited, at least in this verse.

Prayer is a type of magic. Portals spirits to be present. “Invocation”

I don’t think your understanding of prayer is accurate. Prayer no more portals spirits to be present than a telephone call portals humans to be present. Spirits have free will and can’t be coerced by humans.

Although some might dispute with me saying this for lack of understanding of magic, and bias judgement towards it due to fear forced down by media, news, and stories of demonic possession. I know much knowledge on the subject of magic. Magic is not more grave a sin then having sex before marriage.

That’s a very grave sin, so the comparison doesn’t help you.

Demonic possession due to magic only happens to those who have ignorance on the subject, and jump into it with spells from a 10 dollar grimoire bought on amazon or something.

If you commit a mortal sin, such as magic, that opens the door for evil spirits to enter.

It kind of bugs me that the catholic church does this. It’s already enough that ceremonial magic is happening during the mass. Although it is white magic. It is magic nonetheless.

What is your evidence that magic happens during the Mass? Not every word that causes change does so by means of magic. In the Mass there is good evidence that the effects brought about by the priest’s words are due to the free action of God, not to magic.

Magic is attempting to manipulate the supernatural into obeying our will. While people do sometimes use prayer in this manner, it is wrong. Our prayers to God never FORCE him to do our bidding; rather, as we pray, we are communing with our Father and Lord, and becoming more conformed to His will.

On September 30, 1943, His Holiness Pope Pius XII issued his now famous encyclical on scripture studies, Divino afflante Spiritu. He wrote: “We ought to explain the original text which was written by the inspired author himself and has more authority and greater weight than any, even the very best, translation whether ancient or modern. This can be done all the more easily and fruitfully if to the knowledge of languages be joined a real skill in literary criticism of the same text.”

Early in 1944, in conformity with the spirit of the encyclical, and with the encouragement of Archbishop Cicognani, Apostolic Delegate to the United States, the Bishops’ Committee of the Confraternity of Christian Doctrine requested members of The Catholic Biblical Association of America to translate the sacred scriptures from the original languages or from the oldest extant form of the text, and to present the sense of the biblical text in as correct a form as possible.

The work of translating the Bible has been characterized as “the sacred and apostolic work of interpreting the word of God and of presenting it to the laity in translations as clear as the difficulty of the matter and the limitations of human knowledge permit” (A. G. Cicognani, Apostolic Delegate, in The Catholic Biblical Quarterly, 6, [1944], 389-90). In the appraisal of the present work, it is hoped that the words of the encyclical Divino afflante Spiritu will serve as a guide: “Let all the sons of the church bear in mind that the efforts of these resolute laborers in the vineyard of the Lord should be judged not only with equity and justice but also with the greatest charity; all moreover should abhor that intemperate zeal which imagines that whatever is new should for that very reason be opposed or suspected.”

New translations and revision of existing translations are required from time to time for various reasons.

1. For example, it is important to keep pace with the discovery and publication of new and better ancient manuscripts (e.g., the Dead Sea scrolls) so that the best possible textual tradition will be followed, as required by Divino afflante spiritu.

2. There are advances in linguistics of the biblical languages which make possible a better understanding and more accurate translation of the original languages.

3. And there are changes and developments in vocabulary and the cultural background of the receptor language. An obvious example of this is the abandonment in English of the second person singular (use of “thee,” “thou,” “sayest,” “hearest”), which had a major impact on Bible translations.

4. Other changes are less obvious but are nevertheless present. There have been changes in vocabulary; for example, the term “holocaust” is now normally reserved for the sacrilegious attempt to destroy the Jewish people by the Third Reich.

Concerns such as these are reflected in what Pope John Paul II spoke of as the “three pillars” of good biblical translation: “A good translation is based on three pillars that must contemporaneously support the entire work. First, there must be a deep knowledge of the language and the cultural world at the point of origin. Next, there must be a good familiarity with the language and cultural context at the point where the work will arrive. Lastly, to crown the work with success, there must be an adequate mastery of the contents and meaning of what one is translating”—and he praised the translation that “utilizes the vocabulary and idioms of everyday speech” (“le parole e le forme della lingua di tutti i giorni”). (From an address to the United Bible Societies, November 26, 2001.)

bible.com/versions/463

My understanding is that the Bishops were asked to revise the NAB. It was desirable to have a new translation that was based on the very earliest sources available (Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic) and to have a more literal translation.

:slight_smile:

What translation is this?
The Greek has only one word (cowardice), not two words (fear and timidity).

“God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but the Spirit of power and love and self-control.”

The NAB translation on the Vatican website uses the word “cowardice”, not “timidity”.

For God did not give us a spirit of cowardice but rather of power and love and self-control.
vatican.va/archive/ENG0839/__P116.HTM

:extrahappy: I’ve been waiting so long to use this quote!

“For this is what your folk would call magic, I believe; though I do not understand clearly what they mean; and they seem to use the same word of the deceits of the Enemy.” -Galadriel

Sure, it’s magical. But there’s still a vast difference between magic and what happens during the Mass. With magic, a person seeks to control spirits. He attempts to force them to do his own will. Contrast with the Eucharist, where the focus is always on God’s will being done, not our own.

Another difference is in who actually does everything. With magic, a person seeks to effect a change himself. Whereas with the Eucharist, it’s Christ acting on the bread and wine himself, just through the priest (who’s speaking in persona Christi).

The way I understand the verse 2 Tim 1:7
is that: When we have the same mind as God, we will have POWER when we pray,
when we have a heart after God’s own heart, we will LOVE others like He loves,
and when we align our wills with the will of God, we will live SELF-DISCIPLINED lives!
What comes before is just CHAFF.

By fear of the lord he met to hate all things evil. Not fear itself.

Which is important to keep that line of “spirit of fear” inside the text

eucharist is magic to call upon the spirit of jesus to fill ourselves with peace, forgiveness etc etc.

It is magic to change “himself”

Magic is everywhere. Your angels manifest your will.

Yeah, no, way off.

The Eucharist is the priest acting in persona Christi (so Christ acting through the priest) to consecrate the bread and wine. Except it’s not just calling on Jesus to fill ourselves with peace. Jesus is truly present in the Eucharist- Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity- under the appearance (or accidents) of bread and wine. Sure, it can fill one with peace. But to be able to so intimately receive our Lord is a lot more than just some hippie-dippie ideal of filling ourselves with peace. The Eucharist is our God present on Earth.

What is “magic”?

Is something miraculous “magic”?

Or is it merely an illusion?

If magic is an illusion, then isn’t that necessarily a lie?

Or is “magic” in regards to miracles the culmination of the perfect union between art and science?

Is the God of all creation a liar when He said that “unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood you do not have life in you”?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.