Why did the pope kiss the quran

traditioninaction.org/RevolutionPhotos/Images/055_popekissesKoran.jpg

isnt that heresey? I mean the koran claims jesus wasnt virgin birth

Here’s a link to a Jimmy Akin article that provides some insight.

PnP

Is this something that was discussed among your fellow Calvinists? The picture is ancient, for the Pope has been deceased for many years now. One word of caution - the website you pulled it from is heretical and is usually not permitted to be posted here at Catholic Answers. They waste no time in deliberately smearing the Catholic faith and her leaders at any chance they get. Some of the photos are actually altered, from what I recall reading from others who posted here.

What proof do you have that it is a Qur’an?

The worst case scenario is that he knew it was a Qur’an and kissed it as an ecumenical gesture. Blessed JPII certainly didn’t agree with it’s content insofar as it contradicts the truths of Christianity, as is made evident by anything he ever wrote.

It happened on May 14, 1999, at the Vatican.

Here’s an interview with Catholic Prelate Patriarch Raphael I Bidawid in *Catholic Culture *, who was present for the moment. He explains the kissing of the Qu’ran by the Pope.

“At the end of the audience the Pope bowed to the Muslim holy book, the Qu’ran, presented to him by the delegation, and he kissed it as a sign of respect. The photo of that gesture has been shown repeatedly on Iraqi television and it demonstrates that the Pope is not only aware of the suffering of the Iraqi people, he has also great respect for Islam.”

catholicculture.org/news/features/index.cfm?recnum=10415

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.