Why did they need Judas to deliver Jesus?

Why did they need Judas to lead them to Jesus and identify him? Jesus was well known and His ministry was public, right?

Thanks,
Michael

Jesus said to Pilate, "You would have no power over me unless it were given to you from above." And, "Therefore, he who handed me over to you has the greater sin."

So, I'm not sure but I think that betrayal was necessary, thus handing him over "from above".

Hi rc,

No iPhones, no tv, no newspapers, no posters. Jesus spent most of his time out of Judea, coming to Jerusalem only for the Paschal Feast. The majority of people would not have known what he looked like.

Verbum

[quote="rcwitness, post:1, topic:335385"]
Why did they need Judas to lead them to Jesus and identify him? Jesus was well known and His ministry was public, right?

Thanks,
Michael

[/quote]

Without a mole on the inside, another disciple could have easily pretended to be Jesus when they went to arrest him. They didn't exactly have police artists, detailed subject descriptions or journalism back then.

[quote="Verbum, post:3, topic:335385"]
Hi rc,

No iPhones, no tv, no newspapers, no posters. Jesus spent most of his time out of Judea, coming to Jerusalem only for the Paschal Feast. The majority of people would not have known what he looked like.

Verbum

[/quote]

Not to mention the fact that it was after sundown -- no lights.

[quote="rcwitness, post:1, topic:335385"]

[/quote]

I don't know much, but here's a thought:
Well first, in fear of the Romans, the Pharisees (or Sanhedrin?) needed to
arrest Jesus by night. Now Jesus and his Apostles were moving around a
lot, not easy to locate with certainty, and by night makes it harder. Judas
knew where to find Jesus, the Temple guards themselves might not have
been too familiar with Jesus' appearance, so they needed Judas for that
as well. Back to the Romans, why fear the Romans? I don't think Israel
under Roman occupation could go around enforcing their own laws, not
so sure about that, but for whatever the reason, it seems evident that it
all had to be done secretly. This might count as a conspiracy.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.