Why didn't God command his angels to do all the genocides in the old testament, instead of man?

Isaiah 37:36 New International Version (NIV)

36 Then the angel of the Lord went out and put to death a hundred and eighty-five thousand in the Assyrian camp. When the people got up the next morning—there were all the dead bodies!

I mean, I’m pretty sure any average person would cringe if they are to kill babies, for example, because it is not humane.

Why didn’t God just utilize his angels to do ALL the killing things?

Sometimes God wants it to be known that the death(s) came about by supernatural means, so as to leave no doubt that “I AM” came to deliver justice.

Hmm, and why not always use supernatural means then? Sorry, English is not my main language.

That would make them demonic angels !

because God wasn’t trying to teach the angels a lesson.

Are you implying that God wanted to teach Israel a lesson? What could be learned from a genocide?

I think the answer you seek can be found in Deuteronomy 9:1-12.

So GOD would get the blame and the GLORY, not man

Can you rephrase it please? I don’t get it.

God by sending His Angels rather than commanding His chosen people was sending the message that “I GOD am in charge”…

God in His perfect Wisdom did not want future generations to either get the Blame or the possible Glory, for His acts of Divine Providence.

God Bless you,
Patrick

We do not know the answer. It was God’s prerogative. What we do know is that God cared for His people and did the necessity to protect and provide for them out of His covenant with them - that He would be their God and they would be their people.

According to some theories, the Assyrian army did a mediocre job of laying siege to Jerusalem. The casualties that they incurred were likely from disease and cholera.

The Romans did a much better job in my opinion.

That also. We have to see it from the aspect of ancient warfare. It was a kind of biological warfare, where after a long siege, diseases would inevitability seep in.

The Romans were brutal and more systematic in destroying their enemies to ensure that they would never rise up again to trouble the empire. They certainly did a thorough job in doing that.

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.