Why didn't God create us all to be full of grace, like Mary?

Hi,

I posted this as part of another posting, but not sure it was answered:

In my Catholic NAVARRE BIBLE commentary it mentions St. Thomas Aquinas, “God allows evils to be done in order to draw forth some greater good” And St. Thomas also mentions, “Oh happy fault which gained for us so great a redeemer”. Then Romans 5:20 is mentioned.

** What is the commentary saying about God not creating us all, like Mary? Why didn’t He create us all to be full of grace and free from original sin (assuming Adam and Eve weren’t full of grace)? I heard true freedom isn’t having the freewill to choose sin, but to choose love. **

I know we aren’t called to sin in order to bring forth good, or do more good… or else, i don’t think the good done isn’t really good in the first place, right?

This is in response to the title of your thread, It's from the autobiography of St. Therese of the Child Jesus,

"I often asked myself why God had preferences, why all souls did not receive an equal measure of grace. I was filled with wonder when I saw extraordinary favours showered on great sinners like St. Paul, St. Augustine, St. Mary Magdalen, and many others, whom He forced, so to speak, to receive His grace. In reading the lives of the Saints I was surprised to see that there were certain privileged souls, whom Our Lord favoured from the cradle to the grave, allowing no obstacle in their path which might keep them from mounting towards Him, permitting no sin to soil the spotless brightness of their baptismal robe. And again it puzzled me why so many poor savages should die without having even heard the name of God.

Our Lord has deigned to explain this mystery to me. He showed me the book of nature, and I understood that every flower created by Him is beautiful, that the brilliance of the rose and the whiteness of the lily do not lessen the perfume of the violet or the sweet simplicity of the daisy. I understood that if all the lowly flowers wished to be roses, nature would lose its springtide beauty, and the fields would no longer be enamelled with lovely hues. And so it is in the world of souls, Our Lord’s living garden. He has been pleased to create great Saints who may be compared to the lily and the rose, but He has also created lesser ones, who must be content to be daisies or simple violets flowering at His Feet, and whose mission it is to gladden His Divine Eyes when He deigns to look down on them. And the more gladly they do His Will the greater is their perfection.

I understood this also, that God’s Love is made manifest as well in a simple soul which does not resist His grace as in one more highly endowed. In fact, the characteristic of love being self-abasement, if all souls resembled the holy Doctors who have illuminated the Church, it seems that God in coming to them would not stoop low enough. But He has created the little child, who knows nothing and can but utter feeble cries, and the poor savage who has only the natural law to guide him, and it is to their hearts that He deigns to stoop. These are the field flowers whose simplicity charms Him; and by His condescension to them Our Saviour shows His infinite greatness. As the sun shines both on the cedar and on the floweret, so the Divine Sun illumines every soul, great and small, and all correspond to His care—just as in nature the seasons are so disposed that on the appointed day the humblest daisy shall unfold its petals."

Hope this somehow helps.
God bless!

[quote="Amphigoree, post:2, topic:314938"]
This is in response to the title of your thread, It's from the autobiography of St. Therese of the Child Jesus,

"I often asked myself why God had preferences, why all souls did not receive an equal measure of grace. I was filled with wonder when I saw extraordinary favours showered on great sinners like St. Paul, St. Augustine, St. Mary Magdalen, and many others, whom He forced, so to speak, to receive His grace. In reading the lives of the Saints I was surprised to see that there were certain privileged souls, whom Our Lord favoured from the cradle to the grave, allowing no obstacle in their path which might keep them from mounting towards Him, permitting no sin to soil the spotless brightness of their baptismal robe. And again it puzzled me why so many poor savages should die without having even heard the name of God.

Our Lord has deigned to explain this mystery to me. He showed me the book of nature, and I understood that every flower created by Him is beautiful, that the brilliance of the rose and the whiteness of the lily do not lessen the perfume of the violet or the sweet simplicity of the daisy. I understood that if all the lowly flowers wished to be roses, nature would lose its springtide beauty, and the fields would no longer be enamelled with lovely hues. And so it is in the world of souls, Our Lord’s living garden. He has been pleased to create great Saints who may be compared to the lily and the rose, but He has also created lesser ones, who must be content to be daisies or simple violets flowering at His Feet, and whose mission it is to gladden His Divine Eyes when He deigns to look down on them. And the more gladly they do His Will the greater is their perfection.

I understood this also, that God’s Love is made manifest as well in a simple soul which does not resist His grace as in one more highly endowed. In fact, the characteristic of love being self-abasement, if all souls resembled the holy Doctors who have illuminated the Church, it seems that God in coming to them would not stoop low enough. But He has created the little child, who knows nothing and can but utter feeble cries, and the poor savage who has only the natural law to guide him, and it is to their hearts that He deigns to stoop. These are the field flowers whose simplicity charms Him; and by His condescension to them Our Saviour shows His infinite greatness. As the sun shines both on the cedar and on the floweret, so the Divine Sun illumines every soul, great and small, and all correspond to His care—just as in nature the seasons are so disposed that on the appointed day the humblest daisy shall unfold its petals."

Hope this somehow helps.
God bless!

[/quote]

That's awesome!

[quote="Amphigoree, post:2, topic:314938"]

Hope this somehow helps.
God bless!

[/quote]

Perhaps I need to read more things like this so to have peace and not ask so many questions. Thank you for sharing. God Bless You!
Brian

[quote="GodHeals, post:1, topic:314938"]
Hi,

I posted this as part of another posting, but not sure it was answered:

In my Catholic NAVARRE BIBLE commentary it mentions St. Thomas Aquinas, "God allows evils to be done in order to draw forth some greater good" And St. Thomas also mentions, "Oh happy fault which gained for us so great a redeemer". Then Romans 5:20 is mentioned.

** What is the commentary saying about God not creating us all, like Mary? Why didn't He create us all to be full of grace and free from original sin (assuming Adam and Eve weren't full of grace)? I heard true freedom isn't having the freewill to choose sin, but to choose love. **

I know we aren't called to sin in order to bring forth good, or do more good... or else, i don't think the good done isn't really good in the first place, right?

[/quote]

The comments by St. Thomas are paradoxical. Only God can bring good out of evil.

[quote="RobbyS, post:5, topic:314938"]
The comments by St. Thomas are paradoxical. Only God can bring good out of evil.

[/quote]

What do you mean?

I asked God this very question after I came from confession.

I heard that it took one to wound us all and one to heal us all…it happened this way beacuse whether we believe it or not…we are ALL one in God.

God bless

God DID create humanity in a state of sinlessness, but our first parents abused their freedom and rebelled from God.

I suggest you read the following, in its entirety (excerpts from the Catechism of the Catholic Church):

386 Sin is present in human history; any attempt to ignore it or to give this dark reality other names would be futile. To try to understand what sin is, one must first recognize the profound relation of man to God, for only in this relationship is the evil of sin unmasked in its true identity as humanity's rejection of God and opposition to him, even as it continues to weigh heavy on human life and history.

387 Only the light of divine Revelation clarifies the reality of sin and particularly of the sin committed at mankind's origins. Without the knowledge Revelation gives of God we cannot recognize sin clearly and are tempted to explain it as merely a developmental flaw, a psychological weakness, a mistake, or the necessary consequence of an inadequate social structure, etc. Only in the knowledge of God's plan for man can we grasp that sin is an abuse of the freedom that God gives to created persons so that they are capable of loving him and loving one another.

388 With the progress of Revelation, the reality of sin is also illuminated. Although to some extent the People of God in the Old Testament had tried to understand the pathos of the human condition in the light of the history of the fall narrated in Genesis, they could not grasp this story's ultimate meaning, which is revealed only in the light of the death and Resurrection of Jesus Christ. We must know Christ as the source of grace in order to know Adam as the source of sin. The Spirit-Paraclete, sent by the risen Christ, came to "convict the world concerning sin",by revealing him who is its Redeemer.

389 The doctrine of original sin is, so to speak, the "reverse side" of the Good News that Jesus is the Savior of all men, that all need salvation and that salvation is offered to all through Christ. The Church, which has the mind of Christ, knows very well that we cannot tamper with the revelation of original sin without undermining the mystery of Christ.

The preceding is a very beautiful and succinct explanation, IMO. Specifically, we should not tamper with God's will and plan of salvation, and wishful thinking about being born sinless, as it makes us proud to think that we might not need a Savior, in Jesus Christ.

closed #9

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.