Why Didn't I Punch That Kid

Yesterday we had a free day in math class. We could do anything we wanted and no math problems. I didn't have much to do so I drew a picture of Jesus. I'm pretty good at drawing, especially when it comes to drawing Jesus. The kid sitting behind me said "who's that?!?"
"Jesus -duh :)" I replied
"Wow, that's pretty good!" he says, and now other kids want to see it. So it gets passed down my row, then the row to the right of me. Then the kid sitting to the right of me asks "do you want this?" I considered it a moment and thought, well, I draw Jesus all the time; and thought maybe he'd like to have it. I responded, "nah."
He then spits in the picture's face, and with it soaked with snot and saliva he throws it down to the ground and starts to stomp on it saying:
"I - love - Jesus - at - the - bottom - of - my - FOOT." (Every dash is a stomp.)
I was shocked to hear that this little episode sent giggles through the classroom. As the kid picks up the picture off the ground, which is now torn down the middle due to it's abuse, he noticed I looked a little distraught over the fact that he just smashed a picture of my Savior's face in. He then asks me with what sounded like either anoyance or anger,
"how do you even know He exists?" And before I can even fathom a response he gets up to throw whats left of the picture away.
The kid behind me probably saw my disapointment or whatever that feeling was, and asks:
"Oh, is it because it took you a long time to draw it?"
"Huh?" I replied.
"Is that why you're upset, because it took you a while to draw it?"
That made me mad. It took me less than ten minutes, maybe even five, to draw that picture. "NO!" I responded. "I'm upset at the fact that he just curb stomped a picture of Jesus!" :mad:
sigh I don't know what really to make out of this little incident. I kinda think I know how Peter felt when he denied Christ. Or any disciple that witnessed the mocking of our Savior's death. Of course, on a much smaller scale.

Responses, comments, and anything else you want to post. Go ahead.

First off I am very sorry to hear that you had to go through such an experience! I understand what it is like to be a christian student in a very non christian world, I am 20 and a college student, in my class of 30 students 3 of us are christian and all 3 of us are catholic! So thankfully we have a nice little support group. We notice anti christian (especially anti catholic) comments on a daily basis, yes we get offended but we have found one of the best things you can do is to pray for those who are ignorant! Also if you are able to you can calmly explain why Jesus means so much to you and why you found it so offensive when your peer decided to stomp on our lords face. If they say that they don’t believe in him tell them that is Ok because he believes in them!
All the best to you and I will keep you in my prayers.

Rob

wow that's really sad :(

I would have been upset too.

Just pray for them.. that's all we can do.

God bless

I’m in the same situation… I’m also at university and hear anti Catholic stuff all the time.

I’ve found it doesn’t help to debate or to get angry…but just pray for people and remember how important they are to God. And it’s important to be good witnesses…to always treat others with love because they’ll notice God in us, and that will draw them closer to Him. I fail at this a lot though :frowning:

God bless

Yeah, the world is not with God. The Bible clearly states throughout it’s pages and remains true to this day. Sometimes the hypocracy of the other side is amazing. I get complaints from atheists and democrats (usually liberal democrats) about how the religious right wingers are such bigots.
(no offence to any democrats, but atheists usually side in that party. I’m an independant for now. I can’t even vote yet.)

You are wise. Arguing only sparks more arguing. And no reason or logic can surpass an ignorant bias. And no, you don’t fail at anything. It is your job as a Christian to share the gospel and God’s love. If they’re not won over then Romans 10:18 says,

But I ask: Did they not hear? Of course they did: “Their voice has gone out into all the earth, their words to the ends of the world.”

I’m so sorry you had to go through that. Rather than attempting to answer questions like “how do you know He even exists?” on the spot, try and tell him in as kind a manner as possible that you’d be happy to talk with him later.

If you ever feel up to practising apologetics, I recommend reading Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis and the famous Summa Theologica of St. Thomas Aquinas. You are in my prayers.

where in the gospel does Jesus tell his followers to punch out people who persecute him? what does he tell them? blessed are you when they persecute and utter all manner of calumny against you, because they persecuted the prophets and they will persecute me.

I think it is time for the substitute teacher to be gone and your regular math teacher to get this class back to studying math. Report the incident to the administration, it is against the law and against policies of every public school I ever heard of to disrespect any religion in this way. Where was the teacher while this was going on? somebody filled with that much anger sounds greatly in need of more help than another student can provide.

[quote="MrZetterlund, post:1, topic:177168"]

sigh I don't know what really to make out of this little incident. I kinda think I know how Peter felt when he denied Christ. Or any disciple that witnessed the mocking of our Savior's death. Of course, on a much smaller scale.

[/quote]

I think you reacted in the best way possible, under the circumstances. Hitting the other guy would not have been a good witness for Christ, for sure. It's better to always be the reasonable one, when you're in an argument, and hitting is never a reasonable response.

As far as what to say to the guy when he asks you how you know Jesus exists, I've always liked Billy Graham's response to that question - "Well, He was there when I talked to Him just this morning, and I have no reason to think He's disappeared since then." :)

But I doubt the guy would have listened to anything you had to say, anyway. He will account for his actions to Christ, in person, one of these days. All you can do, really, is pray for him.

[quote="atman, post:6, topic:177168"]
I'm so sorry you had to go through that. Rather than attempting to answer questions like "how do you know He even exists?" on the spot, try and tell him in as kind a manner as possible that you'd be happy to talk with him later.

If you ever feel up to practising apologetics, I recommend reading Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis and the famous Summa Theologica of St. Thomas Aquinas. You are in my prayers.

[/quote]

Hey! My one listed friend on this website! :)
Thanks for this, I have actually been looking toward practicing apologetics. Thanks, God Bless.:thumbsup:

[quote="puzzleannie, post:7, topic:177168"]
where in the gospel does Jesus tell his followers to punch out people who persecute him? what does he tell them? blessed are you when they persecute and utter all manner of calumny against you, because they persecuted the prophets and they will persecute me.

I think it is time for the substitute teacher to be gone and your regular math teacher to get this class back to studying math. Report the incident to the administration, it is against the law and against policies of every public school I ever heard of to disrespect any religion in this way. Where was the teacher while this was going on? somebody filled with that much anger sounds greatly in need of more help than another student can provide.

[/quote]

Well, it's important to remember I DID NOT punch the kid out. Though I strongly felt the urge to. The regular teacher was there, we had a free day cause we're out all of next week for thanksgiving break. I do apreciate your concern, but reporting to the administration would probably only make matters worse. I'd never win him over to Christ if he wanted to beat me up the next week for getting him a conduct refearl.(sp.)
I doubt he did it out of anger, but rather to entertain his peers. The teacher didn't take any notice for some reason. :shrug: Than you though. :thumbsup:

[quote="jmcrae, post:8, topic:177168"]
I think you reacted in the best way possible, under the circumstances. Hitting the other guy would not have been a good witness for Christ, for sure. It's better to always be the reasonable one, when you're in an argument, and hitting is never a reasonable response.

As far as what to say to the guy when he asks you how you know Jesus exists, I've always liked Billy Graham's response to that question - "Well, He was there when I talked to Him just this morning, and I have no reason to think He's disappeared since then." :)

But I doubt the guy would have listened to anything you had to say, anyway. He will account for his actions to Christ, in person, one of these days. All you can do, really, is pray for him.

[/quote]

There was no argument, anyway. If there was, I would have pwned him. :D
The kid who asked why I was mad isn't the same person who stomped Jesus.
(I wasn't so sure if that was clear in my post.) Thank you, & God Bless. :thumbsup:

That has to have been an incredibly frustrating experience. I know it's easier said than done, but try to put it behind you. You're going to spend a few nights laying awake, fuming, and fantasizing about all the things you would've liked to have said and done to the kid, but just do your best to move past it and try not to take it personally.

If it makes you feel any better, just this morning I had to deal with an unbelievably rude woman who was in charge of hiring people for this job I had applied for. I finally got a hold of her after leaving two messages, neither of which she replied to, her self-righteous excuse being she couldn't find my application ( :confused: ). The whole time I felt like I was talking to a high school cheerleader in charge of a sweet sixteen party. Granted I lost my temper and said somethings I probably shouldn't have, but by that time she had been so rude and unprofesional that even if she had offered me the job right there on the spot I probably wouldn't have taken it.

So, if it helps at all, know that you're not the only one dearly wishing that they could have punched someone in the face

No, I understood that the other kid wasn’t the same kid that stomped on the picture. He was just dumb - dumb isn’t offensive, and you can usually fix it with information - which by the way I think you did quite well.

I was focused on the other kid - the one that wrecked your picture.

[quote="apromisemade, post:11, topic:177168"]
That has to have been an incredibly frustrating experience. I know it's easier said than done, but try to put it behind you. You're going to spend a few nights laying awake, fuming, and fantasizing about all the things you would've liked to have said and done to the kid, but just do your best to move past it and try not to take it personally.

If it makes you feel any better, just this morning I had to deal with an unbelievably rude woman who was in charge of hiring people for this job I had applied for. I finally got a hold of her after leaving two messages, neither of which she replied to, her self-righteous excuse being she couldn't find my application ( :confused: ). The whole time I felt like I was talking to a high school cheerleader in charge of a sweet sixteen party. Granted I lost my temper and said somethings I probably shouldn't have, but by that time she had been so rude and unprofesional that even if she had offered me the job right there on the spot I probably wouldn't have taken it.

So, if it helps at all, know that you're not the only one dearly wishing that they could have punched someone in the face

[/quote]

lol. I'm not that distrought. I don't feel bad so much for what I went through, but for what I didn't go through. I felt so useless to just sit there and watch this kid act out in disrespect against the Most High. Kinda like when you're watch the Passion and you think, "man, I should go back in time and do something.." But I wasn't certain to what reacting would have gotten me. The clasroom had too much anti-christian support.
Basically like Peter sitting in the room watching Jesus being acused and punched with no room to speak up. I feel like I should have spoken up.
I'm sorry to hear about your unprofessional experience with miss cheered alot in highschool, though. Good luck with finding the job you want. :thumbsup:
We all fly off the handle sometimes. I think it's uncommon for me not to. :o

God Bless.

lol. I’m not that distrought

Oh good :slight_smile: . I’m glad. I think I was probably just picturing how I would’ve responded since I’m the sort of person that can brood over things if I’m not careful.

I totally can relate to the whole POTC example. When my stepdad and I watched it together he just kept talking about how he wanted to go back and take that lash to one of the Roman soldiers.

Thanks for the words of sympathy by the way. I just try to remind myself I’m probably not the only person she’s treated this way and therefore probably not the only person she’s made so angry. Oh well, it takes all sorts I guess.

[quote="apromisemade, post:14, topic:177168"]
Thanks for the words of sympathy by the way. I just try to remind myself I'm probably not the only person she's treated this way and therefore probably not the only person she's made so angry. Oh well, it takes all sorts I guess.

[/quote]

I'm glad to hear it's resolved. :D Sometimes, the best way to handle the people who are the headaches of this world is to pop open some Ibeprofen and say a prayer. :thumbsup:

[quote="MrZetterlund, post:1, topic:177168"]
Yesterday we had a free day in math class. We could do anything we wanted and no math problems. I didn't have much to do so I drew a picture of Jesus. I'm pretty good at drawing, especially when it comes to drawing Jesus. The kid sitting behind me said "who's that?!?"
"Jesus -duh :)" I replied
"Wow, that's pretty good!" he says, and now other kids want to see it. So it gets passed down my row, then the row to the right of me. Then the kid sitting to the right of me asks "do you want this?" I considered it a moment and thought, well, I draw Jesus all the time; and thought maybe he'd like to have it. I responded, "nah."
He then spits in the picture's face, and with it soaked with snot and saliva he throws it down to the ground and starts to stomp on it saying:
"I - love - Jesus - at - the - bottom - of - my - FOOT." (Every dash is a stomp.)
I was shocked to hear that this little episode sent giggles through the classroom. As the kid picks up the picture off the ground, which is now torn down the middle due to it's abuse, he noticed I looked a little distraught over the fact that he just smashed a picture of my Savior's face in. He then asks me with what sounded like either anoyance or anger,
"how do you even know He exists?" And before I can even fathom a response he gets up to throw whats left of the picture away.
The kid behind me probably saw my disapointment or whatever that feeling was, and asks:
"Oh, is it because it took you a long time to draw it?"
"Huh?" I replied.
"Is that why you're upset, because it took you a while to draw it?"
That made me mad. It took me less than ten minutes, maybe even five, to draw that picture. "NO!" I responded. "I'm upset at the fact that he just curb stomped a picture of Jesus!" :mad:

[/quote]

The kid seems very sure of himself, very sure that Jesus doesn't exist (or at least deserves ridicule). Ask him to provide justification for his sentiments. Almost any answer he produces should be refutable. (I haven't encountered an unbreakable one yet).

All kids involved should have a detention at the very least, with me they’d have multiple ones: Disrupting class (1); Destroying property that did not belong to them (2); Disrespect (3). There was no call for it, and there is no reason for it to be accepted in the classroom. As a teacher I probably can’t drop the hammer for the fact they destroyed a picture solely on its subject matter, but I can slam them on the other things. In fact, I would probably push for an “intimidation” violation. Public schools you can’t (at least here) do anything that is considered trying to intimidate someone based on sex, race, RELIGION, sexual preference…you get the picture. Here that would be a nice 3-day vacation with zeroes for any and all work missed.

Oh, believe me. If we had a debate HE’D GO DOWN. But there was no discussion. And a simple question as to “how one can be so sure of themself” would only burden me. There is too much atheist support in that class. I wouldn’t find myself met with actual arguments but rather the usual insults such as your delusional, flying speghetti monster, ect. I can make a good case against all of this, but not without the hurling insults and ridiculing crudness some of my shallower outcast classmates. There’s this one guy who used to be my friend (but now appearently we aren’t,) in my class who’s atheist. He finds some reason to sit at our table and talk down on religion. Any time you argue with him or his side-kick they just try and make God look like a phsychotic primitive nut case and Jesus Christ like a pedifile. It’s sad, but this is how these deluted people think.

[quote="Lutheranteach, post:17, topic:177168"]
All kids involved should have a detention at the very least, with me they'd have multiple ones: Disrupting class (1); Destroying property that did not belong to them (2); Disrespect (3). There was no call for it, and there is no reason for it to be accepted in the classroom. As a teacher I probably can't drop the hammer for the fact they destroyed a picture solely on its subject matter, but I can slam them on the other things. In fact, I would probably push for an "intimidation" violation. Public schools you can't (at least here) do anything that is considered trying to intimidate someone based on sex, race, RELIGION, sexual preference....you get the picture. Here that would be a nice 3-day vacation with zeroes for any and all work missed.

[/quote]

Well, you wouldn't be able to nail him for #1 since nothing productive was being done in the classroom, nor was the teacher teaching. It was just a free day off. You probably can't nail him for #2 since I said I didn't want it when he asked. You probably can't nail him for #3 either, since it was done out of ignorance and not out of disrespect for me.
However, he would be faced with some disciplinary action I'd imagine. Nothing serious, though.

I would be tempted to do the same thing to him that he did to the picture and while stomping him tell him that I love him from the bottom of my shoe. Maybe that’s a bad response or maybe not but I would still be seriously tempted. Maybe the irony of it would get through his head.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.