Why didn't Jesus ever encourage his own worship?

Why didn’t Jesus ever encourage his own worship? If he is supposed to be the literal begotton son of God, why didn’t he ever make this explicitly clear to us, even after his death and resurrection?

Was Jesus the literal son of God, in that God is literally his Father, or is it better to describe him as a son of God, seeing as we are all supposed to be sons and daughters of God?

From viewing all of your posts, you badly need a copy of Catholicism for Dummies. Excellent book that will answer most, if not all of your questions about the faith. I highly recommend it.

[quote="xvFIRESTORMvx, post:1, topic:341901"]
Why didn't Jesus ever encourage his own worship? If he is supposed to be the literal begotton son of God, why didn't he ever make this explicitly clear to us, even after his death and resurrection?

[/quote]

He did say "Nobody comes to the Father except through me." How exactly do you mean 'encourage his own worship'?

Literally. The. Son. Of. God.

Jesus also said “Before Abraham was, I AM.”

The reason the Jews crucified Him was because they heard Him forgive the sins of others, and they said it was blasphemy, that only God can forgive sins.

When He gave us the Eucharist, He gave us the most extraordinary way of worshiping Him.

God is pure Spirit, and there are three Persons in One God. The Second Person of the Blessed Trinity became Incarnate to redeem us. The First Person (Father) calls Jesus His Son.

I second the advice for you to get the book "Catholicism for Dummies". Also the Catechism of the Catholic Church is online.

Jesus is literally the Son of God. Baptized persons are adopted sons and daughters.

Jesus (the name given to him after his incarnation) is the logos the second person of the trinity.

I think the beginning of the book of Genesis or the Beginning of the Gospel of John can help you more fully understand this. If you think of Jesus being the Word in the creation account it will be clear that Jesus is God.

I hope you come to a better understanding of the Catholic faith

God bless

"For God so loved the world, as to give his only begotten Son; that whosoever believeth in him, may not perish, but may have life everlasting." - John 3:16

[quote="po18guy, post:2, topic:341901"]
From viewing all of your posts, you badly need a copy of Catholicism for Dummies. Excellent book that will answer most, if not all of your questions about the faith. I highly recommend it.

[/quote]

I would also suggest and I think may be a better way to approach learning about the faith is go talk to a priest about the questions you have about the Church. While he may not be able to sit down with you and have hours of discussion, I hope and suspect that a priest will be ready and willing to explain the faith to you OR find someone who can help you better understand the faith.

While you will find the answer at CAF I think you will have a better experience with a priest.\

Please note: I'm talking to the OP not the person I responded to

He was setting an example for us. And certain revelations came with certain times. If he came out and said he was God from the beginning he would have been crucified before he could teach, perform miracles, institute the Eucharist, etc. Everything had to be done in a certain time.

Jesus is the Only Begotten Son of God.

From the D-R:

John 1:18
No man hath seen God at any time: the only begotten Son who is in the bosom of the Father, he hath declared him.

John 3:16
For God so loved the world, as to give his only begotten Son; that whosoever believeth in him, may not perish, but may have life everlasting.

John 3:18
He that believeth in him is not judged. But he that doth not believe, is already judged: because he believeth not in the name of the only begotten Son of God.

1 John 4:9
By this hath the charity of God appeared towards us, because God hath sent his only begotten Son into the world, that we may live by him.

John 1:14
And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we saw his glory, the glory as it were of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.

Jesus is the Second Person of the Trinity. The Trinity is one God in three Persons.

What is a Person?

A rock has no persons; it is inanimate.

An animal has no persons; it lacks a rational soul.

A human being has one person, composed of a physical body and a rational soul.

God has three Persons, composed of Divinity. The three Persons of God share one will, one mind, and one divinity.

The names of the three Persons of God are the Father (called by many names, including Adonai, Yahweh, Jehovah, etc.), the Son (Jesus) and the Holy Spirit.

The Father is the Origin. Jesus is the Word that proceeds from the mouth of the Father creating and holding in existence all that exists, both visible and invisible. He took on human form and nature in the womb of Mary (thus, He is one Person with two natures: human and divine) and was born, lived, and died to save us from our sins. He rose again from the dead to make it possible for human beings to go to Heaven.

The Holy Spirit is the Person of the love between the Father and the Son. He is also the soul of the Catholic Church.

Another reason for His condemnation as a "blasphemer" was because when He was before the Sanhedrin for trial, he was questioned "in the Name of God" (which a Jew of that could not refuse to answer) "Are you the Son of the Living God?" He answered them saying "I AM". Since "I AM' was the Holy Name of God, given to Moses originally, this was the equivalent of saying "I AM THE HOLY GOD", which to any devout Jew of that time (or this time) would be the worst kind of blasphemy. He continued by telling them they would see Him coming "In Glory" in the future.

If He had told the Disciples to "worship" Him during His ministry, they would all have been stoned by anyone who saw this, and His ministry would not have ended in Jerusalem, but would have resulted in the death of all of them in any town in Israel, by stoning.

By the way: Several years (perhaps as many as 20 - 50 years) after His Crucifixion, the Elders of the Jews (I believe those who took refuge in Egypt), declared that His trial was illegal for several reasons, and declared that Sanhedrin which condemned Him "a bloody Sanhedrin". One of the things they did which was illegal, was to arrest and judge him AFTER SUNDOWN, which was illegal under Jewish Law, since all trials in front of the Sanhedrin, which was the Jewish "Supreme Court", were required to be held in the daytime! If I am wrong in this, please correct me, but this is what I was told by an Orthodox Rabbi, who gave me a book in which the decision of the later Elders was noted. (Declaring that Sanhedrin & trial as illegal).

Philippians 2:5-11

Have this attitude in yourselves which was also in Christ Jesus, who, **although He existed in the form of God, did not regard equality with God a thing to be grasped, but emptied Himself, taking the form of a bond-servant, and being made in the likeness of men.* Being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself by becoming obedient to the point of death, even death on a cross. For this reason also, God highly exalted Him, and bestowed on Him the name which is above every name, so that at the name of Jesus every knee will bow, of those who are in heaven and on earth and under the earth, and that every tongue will confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.*

God became flesh in Jesus Christ to show us how to truly serve God, not to make us bow before Himself. Rather, He used his own human life and death as a model for our own: to teach us that he who gives his life up for God shall be exalted, and that death will not have the final say; that his life shall not have been lived in vain.

But it was clear, nonetheless, to his fellow Jews that He claimed to be God; after all, they killed him for it. It is clear to us, because He communicates this to us through the Church He established, and in the Scripture and Tradition which that Church has given us.

[quote="catholictiger, post:10, topic:341901"]
I would also suggest and I think may be a better way to approach learning about the faith is go talk to a priest about the questions you have about the Church. While he may not be able to sit down with you and have hours of discussion, I hope and suspect that a priest will be ready and willing to explain the faith to you OR find someone who can help you better understand the faith.

While you will find the answer at CAF I think you will have a better experience with a priest.\

Please note: I'm talking to the OP not the person I responded to

[/quote]

And, RCIA is starting about now.

I can think of three ways that Jesus is the Son of God. Jesus has both an essential divine nature and miraculously-conceived, accidental human nature. With respect to his divine nature, which has always existed, Jesus is the one and only, eternally-begotten Son of God. With respect to his human nature, which came into existence about 2000 years ago, Jesus is the one and only, temporally-begotten Son of God because his human nature was miraculously conceived, begotten by the power of God and not by man. Also, with respect to his human nature, Jesus is a son of God as all beings with rational human or angelic natures are sons and daughters of God.

Jesus, as the only begotten Son, literally has the same exact body/substance as the Father. It is better to approach him as God because:
-when you passionately want to be completely one with Him, you will soon begin living the experience of unending joy with unbreakable peace for all!
-if you only approach him as a son of God, just as the rest of us, then his word has no more truth than any of the rest of us. Which means when Saul said to kill Christians for blasphemy, he was equally truthful as Jesus saying love your enemy, as I have loved you. This line of thinking leads one to chaos and confusion.

Thanks for the interesting food for thought!

As Dorothy said - I second the advice for you to get the book “Catholicism for Dummies”. Also the Catechism of the Catholic Church is online.

I wouldn’t be without either. However, the Catholicism for Dummies is a lighter read. God bless and guide you on your journey of faith

:blessyou:

Hello,

I give you my best understanding that I got through intensive seeking PLUS >>

Jesus was the national God of the Israelites who was not shared with any other nation
until Grace came and Gentiles were added into the Israelite 'religion.'

He sent the Apostles to preach the good news and to publicise his FULL identity.

See Peter below and think like an Israelite regarding the Scriptures of Isaiah.

Acts.2
[36] Therefore let the entire house of Israel (all Israelites) know assuredly,
That (the Lord) GOD has (previously) made that same Jesus, whom ye have crucified,
BOTH (the Israelite) LORD (our national God)
and (now in our lifetime) Christ. (the Lord GOD’s anointed/ the Father’s anointed)

I truly hope that helps.

StraitGate Sheep.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.