Why didn't Jesus simply state, "I am God"?

Why didn’t Jesus simply state, “I am God”? That would have removed all the confusion.

He did.

John 8:58

Jesus replied: In all truth I tell you, before Abraham ever was, I am.
:slight_smile:

He did.

John 8:58 Jesus said to them, “Amen, amen, I say to you, before Abraham came to be, I AM.”

John 10:30 “The Father and I are one.”

So, is he **indirectly stating **that he is God by using God’s name “I AM” ? Why didn’t he state it directly?

Non-Christians respond to this saying that they are one in purpose, just as two people can have one purpose.

[quote=iaskquestions]So, is he **indirectly stating **that he is God by using God’s name “I AM” ? Why didn’t he state it directly?
[/quote]

If Joe says, “I am Joe,” is that an indirect statement?

If Jesus says, “I AM,” how is this an indirect statement? What name do you think God gives for Himself when Moses asks His name?

It doesn’t make sense to me, the way the statement has been phrased.

Suppose I replace “I AM” with “Joe”, it becomes -

“Amen, amen, I say to you, before Abraham came to be, Joe.”

That statement sounds pretty absurd.

Jesus didn’t ever say, “I am I AM”.

How do you know Jesus never said “I am God”?

See Exodus Chapter 3 where Moses is asking God who He is.

Moses then said to God, 'Look, if I go to the Israelites and say to them, “The God of your ancestors has sent me to you,” and they say to me, “What is his name?” what am I to tell them?'
14 God said to Moses, ‘I am he who is.’ And he said, 'This is what you are to say to the Israelites, “I am has sent me to you.” '
15 God further said to Moses, 'You are to tell the Israelites, “Yahweh, the God of your ancestors, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac and the God of Jacob, has sent me to you.”

That pretty much sums it up because he was speaking to Jews who would know what he meant.

John 8:52-58

52 The Jews said, 'Now we know that you are possessed. Abraham is dead, and the prophets are dead, and yet you say, "Whoever keeps my word will never know the taste of death."
53 Are you greater than our father Abraham, who is dead? The prophets are dead too. Who are you claiming to be?'
54 Jesus answered: If I were to seek my own glory my glory would be worth nothing; in fact, my glory is conferred by the Father, by the one of whom you say, 'He is our God,'
55 although you do not know him. But I know him, and if I were to say, ‘I do not know him,’ I should be a liar, as you yourselves are. But I do know him, and I keep his word.
56 Your father Abraham rejoiced to think that he would see my Day; he saw it and was glad.
57 The Jews then said, 'You are not fifty yet, and you have seen Abraham!'
58 Jesus replied: In all truth I tell you, before Abraham ever was, I am.
59 At this they picked up stones to throw at him; but Jesus hid himself and left the Temple.

He might have said it, but non-Christians won’t accept that as proof! :slight_smile: They want to see it in scripture (they will not accept Tradition).

I wonder, though, why would non-Christians (as opposed to Fundamentalist Protestants) require Scriptural proof since they don’t accept Scripture (at least the New Testament, if they are Jews) as inspired in the first place? :shrug:

To prove to us (Christians) that our scripture is not God’s word. Muslims always ask this question, “Where did Jesus say that he is God (give me the scriptural reference)?”

iaskquestions: Did you read my post (#9)? Does that answer it? I am wondering if you are asking the questions just to ask the question or are you seeking an answer and that answer is not sufficient. God was already asked by Moses on His name and I do not see why God the Son would have to answer it in a different manner to the Jews. They knew exactly what Jesus meant by His answer.

But they are being disingenuous when they ask that, because they believe our scriptures are corrupt anyway.

As sebest pointed out in post #9, God states His name for Moses: “…before Abraham came to be, I AM.”

So we learn that God’s name is I AM.

Then Jesus uses that name, I AM, for Himself:

58 Jesus replied: In all truth I tell you, before Abraham ever was, I am.
59 At this they picked up stones to throw at him; but Jesus hid himself and left the Temple.

Context is key–see the people stoning Jesus “at this”? Why do you think they stone Him “at this”? At this refers to what? And why does it deserve stoning?

In the Jewish culture in which he lived, he could not have made such a direct statement. The conclusion of his divinity was something that had to be demonstrated before being stated. All Jews knew that YHWH could not be imaged in bodily form. How could Jesus have explained to them his possession of the divine nature while also possessing a human nature? Some things must be demonstrated before they can be realized or acknowledged.

And in finally stating “Before Abraham was I AM,” he claimed for himself the divine name, thereby certainly claiming divinity and they understood him as doing so.

Our faith is also a test. It’s never been right or just for man to deny God’s existence but we do so and, I believe, rather than revealing Himself distinctly now He instead draws us, seeking to elicit faith from us-the knowledge of God- which pride has succeeded in smothering. God’s asking us if we will recognize His face when He shows it- through His Son. This allows for a certain amount of ambiguity-the possibility of doubt-and places some of the onus back on man as to whether or not we’ll believe and express that belief in word and deed. By Jesus’ being man, a question can easily pose itself, Who is He to say He’s God? But by His actions and the nature He revealed, we simply have a hard time denying it.

The answer doesn’t satisfy me, because it seems absurd (gramatically). Read post #6.

Could they be angry with him for saying that he existed before Abraham existed? Could that be a possible cause for stoning?

Well good luck finding your answer…which I gave to you based on Sacred Scripture and you found the grammar in Sacred Scipture absurd. Are you truly a Catholic? Do you expect God to answer questions exactly in the context you want?

Your name is iaskquestions, but I am wondering doyouseektheanswer?

God Bless! :slight_smile:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.