Why differentiate between Catholic and "Bible Christians"?

Why is it that Karl differentiates Christians between catholic and “Bible Christians”? What other way are we suppose to be? Are we not supposed to be following the teachings of the bible? Or is the Catholic Church the ultimate authority.

I am proud to tell you that I am a “Bible Following Christian” and as a result I know I have a place in heaven. I am not saying that Catholics don’t have a place in heaven; I cannot know their hearts, only Jesus knows. If you want to know where you stand as a catholic or any other Christian, I suggest you study Revelations 2 & 3 in depth.

Keep your mind open and try to follow the seven churches on a historical pattern. For example, the Church in Ephesus would be in about 100 AD. If you try to put this in any other historical pattern it would not work. I suggest that you really look at this in depth if you want to know where you stand. For those who say that the book of Revelation is not as important as other books, think again. The first 3 chapters are written to seven churches… It praises some churches and it is a warning to others. By the way, these churches also existed and were dug up by Sir Ramsey. Revelation is a book about the past, present, and future. This is why it says; Write the things which thou hast seen, and the things which are, and the things which shall be hereafter; Rev 1:19. Jesus is speaking to John. Come on people read and investigate everything for yourselves. The end exhortation to every church is “ He who has an ear, let him hear what the spirit has to say to the churches”

May you find the truth.

Catholics use the term “Bible Christians” because that’s what many non-Catholic Christians want to be called. In fact, before my conversion to the Catholic faith, I used to call myself a “Bible Christian”, someone who believed that God’s word is only what is written (sola scriptura).

Catholics, on the other hand, believe what the Church has always taught, that scripture is to be read and interpreted within “the living Tradition of the whole Church" (CCC 113). Scripture and Tradition together convey the Word of God (*Dei Verbum * 10). But when you take a “bible alone” view, you are taking for granted something which cannot be proved. God’s word is not confined to only what is written (Psalm 33:6, John 1:14, 2 Peter 1:21).

And no verse in Scripture supports the idea that the Bible is our only rule of faith. We see in Scripture how the oral teaching of the apostles is considered the word of God, and we are told to hold fast to their traditions that are not written down (2 Thess 2:15, 1 Cor. 11:2). The Bible never teaches that all we need to know is explicit in the Bible. If that were so, then why isn’t the word Trinity found in Scripture, or the word Incarnation, or why isn’t there a listing in Scripture of all 27 books that make up our New Testament canon? The Catholic Church determined the canon.

Catholics know where they stand: They stand on the God’s word that says that the Church is the pillar and foundation of truth (1 Tim 3:15), whoever hears it, hears Jesus himself (Luke 10:16), and it is the court of final appeals (Matt 18:17).

I ask you to investigate the true doctrine of the Catholic Church, and not to rely on what you now believe to be Catholic doctrine. You belong in the Catholic Church for one reason, and that is because the Catholic Church is the Church Jesus Christ established on earth, and it contains the fullness of revealed truth.
God bless you!

Further reading:
Dei Verbum

Antiquity and Universality of the Catholic Faith The Commonitory of Vincent of Lerins,(5th Century)

Scripture and Tradition

The Apocalypse

Hunting the Whore of Babylon

Structure and flow time of Revelation

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.