Why do 7th day adventists consider Catholic Church "the whore of Babylon"?

This sect has some other peculiar beliefs. Anybody know much about this religion?

Seventh-Day Adventists are sola scriptura Protestants who are Trinitarians and perform what the Catholic Church regards as valid baptism. IOW, they are legitimate Christians, not a sect, even though they believe only in the teachings of the Bible and observe Saturday as the Sabbath rather than the Lord’s Day (Sunday).

Anti-Catholicism seems to be their main doctrine. I think it stem from their belief the Catholic Church abrogated Saturday as the Sabbath. It gives them an excuse to exist.

Seventh-Day Adventists are trinitarian? I didn’t know that.

Yes, they are, unlike the JW’s and the Mormons.

The 7DA began with the preaching of William Miller in the early 1800s and were once known as “Millerites.”

They are the spiritual ancestors of the Jehovah’s Witnesses, with whom they share some secondary tenets, although on major points (such as the Trinity) the two organizations have diverged.

Although they are “Biblical Protestants” and have valid baptism as was pointed out, the 7DA have several atypical theological positions, which set them apart from other Protestants and far from the Catholic Church:

1). Insistence on “the Sabbath” **(Seventh Day) **as the day of worship; belief that Sunday worship is a deviation from Scripture and is an invention of the CC.

2). Insistence on the imminent return of our LORD (Adventist). This is their foundational principle. Miller and his followers waited in white robes for our LORD’s coming in 1843.

3). Belief, based on Psalm 146 (“man’s spirit departs…his thoughts perish”) that the human soul “sleeps” in death, and is only restored at our LORD’s appearance. (This is where the JWs got it). They claim, again, that the CC suppressed this “truth” so as to teach the doctrine of Purgatory; as obviously if we sleep in death there can be no Purgatory.

4). Because to their mind the CC suppressed “Scriptural truths” such as Sabbath-keeping (without which there can be no salvation) and soul-sleep (so that it could sell release from Purgatory), the 7DA holds that the CC is the whore of Babylon. They understand the Babylon of the NT to be the city of Rome.

ICXC NIKA

While they make this claim, their definition of trinitarian is slightly modified from the orthodox one, if I am not mistaken.

Thanks for this clear explanation. Do you know if modern SDA’s still hold to all the tenets formulated by the original Millerites?

I think the Mormons are getting away from identifying “the whore upon the waters” in their scripture as the Catholic Church, which used to be taught directly. So the 7DA will probably, and the JW hopefully will, mollify their teachings about the Catholic Church.

Good question, and I am not sure.

However, at the time of the departure of JW founder CT Russell in 1877, they were known as “Second Adventists.” It would seem that the “Seventh Day” aspect of the faith was picked up at a later time.

ICXC NIKA.

Back to the OP’s original question:

Because they believe what they have been taught, without studying things out for themselves. “Mama taught it, and we bought it.”

There is much information here:

catholic.com/tracts/seventh-day-adventism

This and other, similar topics are covered in the book, “Handbook of Christian Denominations”, by Frank Mead, finished posthumously by S.S. Hunt - due to Mead’s untimely death. The latest edition I have heard of is 10 tho’ I’d “love to hear” of a later.

Perhaps a library near you has a copy.

Thanks for the link.

It seems their theological justification behind the belief that the Catholic Church is the whore of babylon seems pretty sparce.

Interesting how current 7da’s don’t seem to give it a second thought that the previous claims that Jesus’ 2nd coming never came to pass. One would think that their whole belief structure is somehow flawed if their founder/mystic made such unfounded predictions!!

How do you know this to be the case?

Jon

OTOH psychological studies starting with Leon Festinger’s “When Prophecy Fails” and leading to his (cognitive) dissonance theory, reveal that when a prophecy does NOT take place as predicted, believers generally become STRONGER rather than weaker in their faith, because otherwise they would have to admit to themselves they are fools for having invested so much time and energy toward their beliefs. Instead of losing their faith, they rationalize why the prophecy did not occur at the predicted time, such as incorrect mathematical calculation, and await the next prophecy with renewed energy and conviction.

I would suggest that a group which suggests that Christ had a “conditional deity” & was capable of vice as well as virtue…
…Is NOT Trinitarian - & if that’s Trinitarian then Jehovah’s Witnesses would also qualify as being Trinitarian.

–delusional thinking

Not really, as JW expressly deny the Trinity, and 7DA do not.

Moreover, don’t we hold that our LORD was "capable of vice", in that He was tempted?

ICXC NIKA

It’s one thing to openly deny the Doctrine of the Trinity, which the JW’s certainly do…
…And it’s another to proclaim to accept the Doctrine then proceed to re-define it to the point it isn’t.
…That’s what I’m saying.

Also, we ( Catholic teaching ) condemns that capable of vice despite the real fact He was tempted…
…He was tempted ‘by’ or ‘of’ the Devil to demonstrate He couldn’t or wouldn’t sin.
…I.e. that He was really the Christ.

John 14,29
And now I have told you before it come to pass, that, when it is come to pass, ye might believe. Hereafter I will not talk much with you: for the prince of this world cometh, and hath nothing in me. But that the world may know that I love the Father; and as the Father gave me commandment, even so I do. Arise, let us go hence

Jesus was explicit in other Scriptures that everything the Law & the Prophets said about Him…
…HAD TO BE fulfilled, it was impossible for any of those things not to happen.
…Had Christ been capable of vice & participated in it such as the SDA’s and JW’s teach.

Would what the Law and Prophets said about the Christ taken place?

The SDA’s teach that the Catholic Church is the whore of Babylon and teach the doctrines of Antichrist…
…However by asserting Christ could have lost His own Salvation and been annihilated by the Ultimate God ( The Father ).
…SDA’s actually teach the doctrine of Antichrist themselves.

Catholics believe, in keeping with Sacred Scripture & Sacred Tradition that Christ was ‘God Manifest’…
…That God became man w/out ceasing to be God.
…That God “took on” or “added” a human nature to His Devine Nature.

Also, if Jesus, as Scripture tells us was “the fullness of the Godhead bodily”…
…What kind of God would it be that could fail due to “internal faults”?
…Such as violating His own Holy Law, denying Himself, etc.

Such things are certainly the teachings of Antichrist - exactly as Scripture tells us.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.