Why do Atheists always try to convince us there is no God?

Probably everyone here in this forum have had the typical endless discussions with Atheists who say the same things over and over again.:banghead:
I can understand why a Christian tries to convert an Atheist. The Christian wants to save the Atheist and bring him back to God.
What does the Atheist get out of it?

Also, I never really try to convince Atheists while most Atheists I know either try to debate with me or make fun of my faith.

I have had a fair crack at debating with atheists on Youtube. I have also experienced atheists making fun of me because of my faith. I am not sure why they are so vehement in trying to convince us, however. All I know is that they are.

Maybe they really do feel that believers are deluded and need saving from a make-believe cuckoo-land. I think it could be a hidden-rebellion against the God who is in them and who is speaking to them. Maybe in their pride they are resisting God as He speaks to them in their consciences because they want to do things their way. Convincing others may be a way of convincing themselves that they are right. Maybe they are in despair over their lifestyle and feel that rejecting the idea of God is the best way to ease their pain.

I have never had a problem with atheist because I don’t believe in them.

He’s trying to convince himself, and if he convinces you, then it helps him sleep a little easier at night.

I suppose they could say the same about us, but that’s my take.

:confused:
Can you explain this a bit more?

I think a lot of it’s just a reaction to you guys trying to convince them that there is one.

Yes, I think there is truth to that. Believers cast doubt and some may even want to know why we believe (even if they sometimes don’t admit it).

I personally don’t try to convince anyone while atheists and other non-believers really go out of their way in order to try to spark an argument with me just based on the fact that they know I believe in God. I know what I’m talking about because my father is one of these Nietzsche quoting atheists who is convinced that only he knows the truth.
Sadly, guys like Nietzsche went insane and my father still is a bitter pessimist who can’t find any inner peace at the age of 77.

Never met one.

Right. I suspect there may be unease at around 4am when one contemplates what comes next.

i recently had to end a 2 month debate with a very intellegent atheist. he made some good points, but was severely flawed blinded on alot of others, and kept saying the same thing toward the end over and over again, not to mention was getting arrogant, so i spoke one last time then abandoned the argument.

they’re afraid because they don’t want it to be true, they’re afraid of Truth.

I think atheists react to the more irrational fundamentalists rather than Catholics in particular. Stories like this one make them shake their heads and try to apply reason to stop the damage being done from this type of nonsensical “magical thinking”.

health.yahoo.com/news/ap/med_measles_outbreaks.html

I have quit(spelling?) a few actually.

Are you asking for help with spelling? If so, try:
I have – quite a few, actually.

But I believe the point is that atheists claim that there is no God and no supernatural world because they haven’t experienced anything to convince them of such realities. That is the same kind of thinking as denying the existence of people one hasn’t met, then trying to talk those who do know them out of believing their own experience.

Hi folks! I just wanna suggest that you might be painting atheists with too broad a brush. I was an atheist for most of my adult life, and I never felt like arguing the issue with anyone. Occasionally I would feel frustrated that people seemed so eager to overlook the possibility that they were deluded, but that was before I understood anything about faith. It was only when this frustration resulted in my having weekly dinners with my Catholic mom that I got a glimpse of real faith and was given grace and conversion by the Holy Spirit. Other than that, the only times I argued for atheism with believers were when they drew me in against my will.

But I believe the point is that atheists claim that there is no God and no supernatural world because they haven’t experienced anything to convince them of such realities. That is the same kind of thinking as denying the existence of people one hasn’t met, then trying to talk those who do know them out of believing their own experience.

Almost. Also, for an atheist, the person/s about whom an atheist would ask that you analyze your experience more closely are people whom it would in principle be impossible to have met. They are not of the same category of someone who could exist but might not. For an atheist, they cannot exist even in principle, so any claims to have met them would be met with concern, and honest concern at that. People on these forums are too hard on atheists in general, and especially after the militants have given them such a bad name.

God Bless

Jon Winterburn

I understand. I used to be an atheist too. Though this past summer I have encountered such arrogant mean spirited atheists like never before. Weird.

Go to YouTube, see how many more jerks like that you’ll run into. Honestly, what I wouldn’t give to ban every single anti-religious video on that site (that along with every ridiculous street preaching fundamentalist vid that fuels the fire in these guys) :mad:

And here I was thinking freedom of speech was one of our greatest rights.

Because the atheist is afraid that there is.

:wink: :slight_smile: :smiley: In South Africa, such discrimination is illegal, at least that which is unwarrented by human rights, such as many things on the internet from “free speech” countries.:wink: :rolleyes: :thumbsup: :cool: :thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.