Why do bad things happen to good people?

Why do bad thing happen to good or innocent people?
My little brother was struggling with the idea of demons when he was 8, 9 and 10 years old. He was tortured with this with many nights and days of screaming and crying. He is 18 now but definitely doesn’t want anything to do with the church or God because He doesn’t understand how an all-loving God could allow that to happen to him.

My sister just got into a major car accident breaking her collar bone, ribs, hip and other bones. She keeps asking Why me? Why me?

What do we believe as Catholics, is the reason God permits or makes happen, these types of things?

Thanks for your work. I am a Catholic Missionary in Honduras, Central America. I have a two year commitment and have already been here one year. I listen to the podcasts while I clean clothes. Thank you!

These links should be helpful for understanding why bad things happen to innocent people and how God’s love is present through tragedy. If you have any further questions or concerns that are not answered by these links, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:
Why does a loving God allow children to suffer and die?

Why Bad Things Happen to a Good God by Fr. John Dowling
Why did God allow the Asian earthquake?
[God is Love]

How big of a role does free will actually play?
What is the Church’s teaching on God’s plan for everyone?
What is the interplay of Free Will, random chance, and root causes?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.