why do Catholic priests not yell and scream like non Catholic Preachers?

why do Catholic preachers dont yell and scream like non catholic Preachers during preaching a sermon?

[quote="sdtouchton, post:1, topic:210125"]
why do Catholic preachers dont yell and scream like non catholic Preachers during preaching a sermon?

[/quote]

well I don't know any non-Catholic preachers who do that, although some do have a forceful energetic speaking style. Perhaps in their training Catholic priest learn more effective methods of delivering a homily.

I’ve always felt that the Catholic Mass is the most reverant and beautiful ceremony known to man.

Unlike some fiery Protestant preacher, the Priest is not the show. We are there to give thanks, worship and receive the Body and Blood of Jesus.

Protestant preachers are in a show. Catholic priests are offering the sacrifice.

Imagine for a second, the Catholic Mass as a play. Written, directed, and starring the Son of God. We want great preaching, but it isn't why we worship. The center of the show is Christ in the Eucharist. The priest has a big job, preaching is a part, but his main job is the consecration of the hosts into the body, blood, soul and divinity of Christ.

Catholics attend Mass to receive Christ into their bodies, and to hear the Word of God in Sacred Scripture.

Our Mass is divided into two parts. The Liturgy of the Word and the Liturgy of the Eucharist.

We have multiple songs and responces throughout Mass based on the Psalms or Sacred Scripture, a reading from the Old Testament, one from the New Testament outside of the Gospels and one from the Gospels. Two of our main prayers into the Act of Contrition and the Nicene Creed.

[/quote]

Catholics and Protestants go to church for very different reasons. Catholics go to worship God in the presence of Christ, and Protestants go to pray together and to learn or get some motivation for being good.

When we are in the Presence of Christ and worshipping God, we are focusing on God. We are reverent before our awesome Creator. Imagine if you had the chance to see Christ Himself; would you pay attention to some guy ranting and raving over on the side there? No, you would be totally focused on Christ, right?

Now, imagine that Christ were speaking to you, but in a way that might be difficult for you to understand, and someone were quietly talking nearby, explaining or translating what He was saying. You would listen to that man because he was clarifying what was happening, but your attention would still be directed towards Christ, no?

this may be a little odd of an analogy, but I suspect you might be fairly young. Suppose you went to a rock concert, you might look at the screen which shows close-ups of the musicians, but you would probably pay no attention to a person nearby who was screaming about how everyone should go to the rock concert, right? You might even find him rather distracting.

When Catholics go to church, the bread and the wine become the Body and Blood of our dear Lord Who died for us on the Cross and thus redeemed us. We don't know how this happens, but you can see it in St John 6, and in the story of the Last Supper. So we are in the very Presence of God at church, so of course we would not pay much attention to someone else.

[quote="Charlie_Zeaiter, post:4, topic:210125"]
Protestant preachers are in a show. Catholic priests are offering the sacrifice.

[/quote]

That's a sweeping statement, and a put down.

Some Catholic priests are as dead as a doornail uninspiring. One good thing is the Homily is generally short.

Some Protestants are inspiring and awesome. Unfortunately, they tend to go on and on.

[/quote]

I disagree, ive been to numerous Protestant services, and have yet to find a stereotypical preacher. I have however found very fire and brimstone priests. Its all about the individual, not the denomination.

You definitely aren't in my diocese! LOL:p

[quote="puzzleannie, post:2, topic:210125"]
Perhaps in their training Catholic priest learn more effective methods of delivering a homily.

[/quote]

There is already plenty of drama in the sacrifice of the mass itself. There is no need for a priest to be theatrical in his reflections on the Gospel. Having said that, there is a need for the priest to be well prepared and thoughtful in delivering his homily. Any priest who allows his congregation to fall asleep during one of the critical junctures of the mass is failing in his ministry.

And the predictible reply you should receive soon is, “it’s not about the homily, learning, or preaching, it’s about the Eucharist” in which your standards for expecting some food for thought and good preaching are minimized in favor just of worship alone. You’re right about the brevity of Catholic sermons. I can count on my left hand how many insightful, good ones I’ve heard in Catholic parishes over these many years. In the Anglican churches I’ve attended, I’ve heard plenty…I don’t mind if they go “on and on” as long as they’re worth it. Like a Lord of the Rings movie, I like the length if it’s quality! Now I’m in the mood for Frodo, Gimli, and Aragorn! :stuck_out_tongue:

why do Catholic preachers not yell and scream like non catholic Preachers during preaching a sermon?

[/quote]

Because the Holy Spirit speaks louder than anyone can ever yell, like in last Sunday's Gospel reading. :)
[BIBLEDRB]Luke 13:22-30[/BIBLEDRB]

Wow....the simplicity of the answers is dazzling. For a group (Catholics) so in love with oral tradition there is no understanding of how speaking techniques impact the preaching of various regions and cultures. And, be aware that some protestants will leave a mass thinking the priest must not feel very strongly about what he was saying since he spoke so softly and barely made eye contact. Now, I know that isn't the case. And, my good Catholic friends also know that the "amen corner" at the nearby predominantly African-American baptist church doesn't exist to be part of a show but rather because those in attendance feel it and believe with every fiber of their hearts and souls.

I've heard homilies that lasted 10 minutes that felt like hours. I've heard 90 minute sermons that felt like the blink of an eye. I've seen young pastors and priests look like old, feeble men after five minutes in the pulpit. I've seen an 82 year old pastor attack a sermon like a man 1/4 that age and leave the college grad and the grade school child both feeling they'd been talked to on their own level.

....and there is always Father Pfleger

Some of the best preachers are the old-timers! These newbies can be so banal and corney! Being in the Catholic Church in central california you get mostly foreigners because we have such a priestly shortage. We need to have a giant screen with subtitles like in Mel Gibson's passion film. Wow, tough to understand these guys, bless their hearts!

[quote="Lutheranteach, post:13, topic:210125"]
Wow....the simplicity of the answers is dazzling. For a group (Catholics) so in love with oral tradition there is no understanding of how speaking techniques impact the preaching of various regions and cultures. And, be aware that some protestants will leave a mass thinking the priest must not feel very strongly about what he was saying since he spoke so softly and barely made eye contact. Now, I know that isn't the case. And, my good Catholic friends also know that the "amen corner" at the nearby predominantly African-American baptist church doesn't exist to be part of a show but rather because those in attendance feel it and believe with every fiber of their hearts and souls.

I've heard homilies that lasted 10 minutes that felt like hours. I've heard 90 minute sermons that felt like the blink of an eye. I've seen young pastors and priests look like old, feeble men after five minutes in the pulpit. I've seen an 82 year old pastor attack a sermon like a man 1/4 that age and leave the college grad and the grade school child both feeling they'd been talked to on their own level.

....and there is always Father Pfleger

[/quote]

Hmm, don't recall the words 'Jesus yelled/screamed' ever appearing in scripture.

Sure, people were moved by what He said, and still are. But it would seem that it was a matter of pure and evident spiritual power and authority. Which, as Paul points out in the following quote, is vastly different from ability as an orator:

"When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power." (1 Cor 2: 1-5)

No one who proclaims the Gospel needs to shout.
God's truth and inspiration speaks for itself.

[quote="LilyM, post:15, topic:210125"]
Hmm, don't recall the words 'Jesus yelled/screamed' ever appearing in scripture.

Sure, people were moved by what He said, and still are. But it would seem that it was a matter of pure and evident spiritual power and authority. Which, as Paul points out in the following quote, is vastly different from ability as an orator:

"When I came to you, brothers, I did not come with eloquence or superior wisdom as I proclaimed to you the testimony about God. For I resolved to know nothing while I was with you except Jesus Christ and him crucified. I came to you in weakness and fear, and with much trembling. My message and my preaching were not with wise and persuasive words, but with a demonstration of the Spirit's power, so that your faith might not rest on men's wisdom, but on God's power." (1 Cor 2: 1-5)

[/quote]

Matthew 12:17-21
17] This was to fulfill what was spoken by the prophet Isaiah:
18] "Behold, my servant whom I have chosen,
my beloved with whom my soul is well pleased.
I will put my Spirit upon him,
and he shall proclaim justice to the Gentiles.
19] He will not wrangle or cry aloud,
nor will any one hear his voice in the streets;
20] he will not break a bruised reed
or quench a smoldering wick,
till he brings justice to victory;
21] and in his name will the Gentiles hope."
:)

"Father Pfleger"

I saw him on the news, preaching to his congregation, trying to act as if his mother and father were both black.

He sounded like he was trying to instigate a riot.

[quote="Barbkw, post:18, topic:210125"]
"Father Pfleger"

I saw him on the news, preaching to his congregation, trying to act as if his mother and father were both black.

He sounded like he was trying to instigate a riot.

[/quote]

This man is an embarrassment. Seriously. Here is a quote from one of his... "services" (youtube.com/watch?v=KjMWbQ7UXOE)::)

I got what Mary didn't have, I have intimacy again with the Fatheeeeeeeer!

Ya, okay :rolleyes:

You should have met our former pastor :wink:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.