Why do Catholic Schools not have very good religious programs?

[quote="Corki, post:18, topic:220172"]
BTW, if you have a priest wearing dark blue as a liturgical vestment ( a prohibited color if you are in the US), it's no wonder the kids are confused. :(

[/quote]

Yes, indeedy.

I have to say, the religious ed my kids are getting in our parish school is really, really good. But our bishop specializes in education (which is way tuition is low, too).

I know that our superintendent of schools had a difficult time finding an orthodox curriculum for our kids. Many of the ones on the market are NOT good. He only found two curriculum that he was willing to give to the teachers and settled on "Jesus Our Life" from Ignatius Press. It's very good, but we also have very committed teachers who make sure our kids understand concepts.

[quote="TheRealJuliane, post:13, topic:220172"]
True, there aren't enough nuns to staff schools any more and the ones that are in schools, are frequently lesbian and always liberal.

:mad:

[/quote]

and you know they are lesbians how? This is a horrible generalization.

1KE,

Thank you! You read my mind and posted here just what I was thinking!

And really, I am getting really tired of the Catholic school bashing that goes on here, on a Catholic site.

I think, as with any school, if you feel that a certain subject is not as strong as it could be -- instead of cursing the dark, how about lighting a candle?

The parents are a child's first and best teacher. If you want their religious ed to be deeper and broader, then get them books to read at home, and/or donate books to the classroom. Talk with the teacher about possible "field trips" (perhaps to the church where the Pastor could give them a guided tour and talk about all the names of the items, vestments, etc). Get appropriate videos and movies about religious topics.

These things are all things that I would do if I felt any subject wasn't strong enough or my child was struggling -- social studies, science, math, reading.

My kids have been in school for long enough that I know -- the school will never please all of the people, all of the time. If a person feels that they could do a better job on a particular subject, no one is stopping them from going ahead and doing it at home.

A school can not be all things to all people, and to go around saying that ALL Catholic schools are full of ****** teachers, lesbians, and secret closet liberals because you feel that they aren't "orthodox enough" is just disgusting to me.

welcome home!

in the first place it is perhaps unfair to judge all Catholic schools by your experience, admittedly limited, with one.

in the second place I am unsure how, in the context of Mass, one can judge the children’s knowledge of the faith. If you mean they are put on the spot by being asked direct questions, perhaps they are just shy and don’t respond well in such situations.

in the third place, you are a wise parent to do all you can to assess the school’s academic offerings as well as the quality of the religious education before placing your daughter there. I wish more parents were as vigilant. The best advice I can give to a parent planning to place their child in Catholic school, and in parish RE programs also, is to get involved yourself in some capacity. Your school has a PTO that is a great place to start, so is volunteering as an aide or any way that lets you keep in touch with RE.

“Fluff and stuff” was what our parish school used for class. The last school year my daughter had an actual instruction book was in second grade when she was preparing for her first communion. Since then it was hand outs and crafts. Last year her religious education was the last 15 minutes of the day. It certainly felt like it was Catholic in “name only” but it certainly wasn’t for the rich kids. The school is barely meeting its financial obligations and they are desperate for students. This year, my daughter is in the CCD program at our parish and she has learned more about the Catholic faith than the last two years combined.

It may feel like there is a lot of bashing of Catholic schools here at CAF, and sometimes it may be unwarrented. BUT, there are families that have also had very bad experiences with Catholic schools and sometimes it does need to be talked about. I accepted that my daughter was going to get a good education at our parish school because I bought the whole line of thinking that Catholic schools are great and the best option for any Catholic family. Its not always the case and I wished I had challenged that line of thinking more. I would have pulled my daughter out of the parish school a lot sooner than we did.

I am with 1ke in believing a lot of the these issues have to do with the parents. But it also has to do with the kids themselves.

I am an Asst DRE as well as an 8th grade/Confirmation catechist in the South. A majority of the 1,300 kids in our program do not attend Catholic School while many of the them who have relocated from 'up North' have in the past. There are two girls in my class that I can count on to successfully answer questions. One had previously attended Catholic School and the other had not. I feel it takes more than a 'program' to get the kids to answer the questions. Many of them are not brave enough to answer a question - especially in front of their friends. I know a couple of teens who were home-schooled with the Baltimore Catechism but do not answer questions because they are shy.

Oh, the "other" girl that did not attend Catholic School is my daughter (had to slip that in) and she inherited my lack of stage freight.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.