Why do Catholics consecrate the Eucharist everyday?

Coming from a Protestant background, we only done it 4 times every year.

My mom wants to know why we do it all the time.

Thank you.

The Eucharist is far more central to Catholic worship than it is to the worship of some Protestant groups. There is a longstanding history to our practice – the two earliest descriptions of Christian worship we have, in the Didache and in one of Justin Martyr’s Apologies, describe the Eucharist being celebrated every Sunday right alongside prayers and Scripture readings. Those are both second century at the latest, and the Didache might have been composed in the first century, even before some of the New Testament books.

Now, why do we do that? Well, there are several aspects or facets to the meaning of the Eucharist, and (to Catholics, at least) they all combine to suggest we should celebrate it as often as possible

In its “commemorative meal” aspect, it’s something we believe we should do every time Christians gather together for worship.

In the related “nourishment for the journey of life” aspect, it’s something we want to receive as often as we can. (Remember, we don’t believe the Eucharist is just a commemoration, but a spiritual food that actually gives grace to strengthen us in our Christian walk.)

In its most important aspect (and one often overlooked by Protestants), the Eucharist is itself the ultimate act of Christian worship. The New Covenant is based on a single, perfect sacrifice (Jesus’ offering of Himself on the cross), but God has graciously given every generation of Christians the opportunity to participate in the offering of that one sacrifice (and in the consumption of the sacrificed Lamb) via the Eucharist. As prophesied by Malachi, the age has come when all the Gentile nations from east to west will worship God with a pure and perfect sacrifice.

It’s that last factor that helps explain why the Mass is now offered at least daily, and why priests can and do offer Mass even when they are alone. The Sunday gathering with prayers and songs and Scripture and a sermon/homily to help us apply that Scripture to our lives is a vital part of Christian living, but when it comes to giving God the worship He is due, the greatest thing we can do is to join in offering the Son’s sacrifice to the Father, and our own lives along with it.

Thanks to the magic of time zones, the Mass at this point in history is literally perpetual. With the exception of Good Friday (when no Masses are offered), there is a Catholic Mass being offered somewhere on Earth at every moment – “from east to west” or “from the rising of the sun to its setting” in the most complete and literal sense.

Catholic saints have said (with some exaggeration, no doubt, but I still like the idea) that if the Mass were suddenly to cease, the world would feel the loss even more keenly than if the Sun suddenly went out.

Usagi

Since the ONE ETERNAL Sacrifice of Christ fulfills all the foreshadowing sacrifices of the OT, this includes the DAILY sacrifice of the lamb in the OT Jewish ritual. I believe there is also a prophecy in one of the Minor Prophets that points to the daily sacrifice which prophetically referred to the Sacrifice of the Lamb of God Jesus Christ.

We sin daily, so we should expect a daily Sacrifice, right?

Just remember that the daily Sacrifice of the Eucharist is the SAME eternal Sacrifice of Christ on calvary, so Christ is not being sacrificed anew.

Blessings,
Marduk

From Acts 2… 42And they were persevering in the doctrine of the apostles, and in the communication of the breaking of bread, and in prayers.

43And fear came upon every soul: many wonders also and signs were done by the apostles in Jerusalem, and there was great fear in all.

44And all they that believed, were together, and had all things common.

45Their possessions and goods they sold, and divided them to all, according as every one had need.

46And continuing daily with one accord in the temple, and breaking bread from house to house, they took their meat with gladness and simplicity of heart;    47Praising God, and having favour with all the people. And the Lord increased daily together such as should be saved.

The Eucharist is the center of Christian life…since the earliest converts…who met everyday and broke bread everyday…breaking bread is the earliest description of the mass.

So it is rooted in the traditions and practices of the earliest Christians…and I would say, also past of Apostolic teaching.

You have received some good responses … I have a question for you …

Why did you have your communion service four [4] times a year? …

Why not daily?

Why not weekly?

Why not monthly?

Why not only once a year?

Bi-Monthly or Bi-yearly?

All of the above are found and practiced in the fractured Christian community … I am sure that they all have their reasons and methods of justifying the same …

I am interested in what you think and if you ever asked yourself that question?

And then there is Malachi 1:11

mdcpensive1

:thumbsup: Yes - the Catholic Mass is the fulfillment of this prophecy. :slight_smile:

The daily celebration of the Eucharist may also be related to the words of the Lord’s Our Father Prayer, where he said to pray, “Give us this day our supersubstantial bread.” (Matthew 6:11 DRV)

It may also be related to the manna that the Israelites ate daily during their 40-years sojourn in the desert. Jesus draws a parallel between that manna and himself in John 6.

As revelation 4 and 5 indicate, worship in heaven is ongoing, daily and nightly and without ceasing…

I fail to understand why the body of Christ (the church) on earth should behave any differently than the body of Christ which is in heaven… after all, it is ONE body in ONE church… dedicated to eternally and continually worshipping God.

Yes, Malachi 1:11 and also Luke 11:3

*Malachi 1:11 For from the rising of the sun to its setting my name is great among the nations, and in every place incense is offered to my name, and a pure offering; for my name is great among the nations, says the LORD of hosts.

Luke 11:3 Give us each day our daily bread.*In the latter, “bread” can take on more than one meaning - the Eucharist, and also our daily needs.

:thumbsup: I did not consider this…thanks for pointing this out.

From Rev 4…

1 After this I looked, and there before me was a door standing open in heaven. And the voice I had first heard speaking to me like a trumpet said, “Come up here, and I will show you what must take place after this.” 2 At once I was in the Spirit, and there before me was a throne in heaven with someone sitting on it…8 Each of the four living creatures had six wings and was covered with eyes all around, even under its wings. Day and night they never stop saying:

“‘Holy, holy, holy

is the Lord God Almighty,’**

who was, and is, and is to come.”**

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.