Why Do Catholics Focus so much on Mary?

Hi! :wave:

Since the feast/solemnity of the Immaculate Conception is about to be upon us, I was curious as to why Catholics focus so much on Mary? :confused:

I was always taught that Christianity was about Jesus! :slight_smile:

With all of the Protestant Churches I have gone to, there is barely a mention that she even existed.

I was always taught that only Jesus was sinless. I know that Catholics argue that she was “full of grace” per the bible.

Doesn’t the bible say that all of us have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God? Since Jesus is God it makes sense that he would be sinless. It seems like a bit of a contradiction here. All have sinned and fallen short of the glory of God, yet Mary was full of grace?

Also, if she is the Queen of Heaven does that make God her husband? Sounds like Mormonism.

And why do people believe in the Marian apparitions? Did Juan Diego really exist? I thought that once you died, you were not able to come back from the afterlife.:hmmm:

Hi :slight_smile:

First, Immaculate Conception means that Mary herself was conceived without sin. Secondly, everything that Mary does is focused on her Divine Son Jesus. When we pray to her, we are asking for intercession… our worship is for God alone. And lastly, in the Old Testament, the Queen to the King was always the King’s Mother.

The Marian apparitions are summed up in Mary’s role as Mediatrix.

Mediatrix? I am not very familiar with that term. Does that mean that praying to Mary forgives sins?

Actually, Catholics don’t “focus” on Mary at all. To Protestants, who have an aversion to Mary and her prerogatives, it may seem like it though. But that is on you not us. You might also say we “focus” on the Sacraments, or the Mass, or the Pope, or the Priesthood, or whatever else your Protestant denomination is uncomfortable with.

You have a very shallow understanding of the bible, and the Davidic Kingdom’s Queen Mother, and her place. See Solomon’s mother for an idea.

:frowning:

Alex,

I recommend your start with reading all the the short articles on this site on Mary. They answer all your questions.

Per forum rules, one topic per thread. You’ve asked a number of questions. After reading the articles, come back with some specific questions, with a different thread per topic. One on immaculate Conception, one on Queenship, etc.

Start here:

catholic.com/tracts/browse/Mary

Thank you. :thumbsup:

The queens of the Old Testament were always the mother of the king, not the wife of the king.

-Tim-

That is to say, the queens of the Davidic Kingdom, of whom Jesus is the successor and eternal king.

[2Sam 7:12 When your days are fulfilled and you lie down with your fathers **I will raise up your offspring after you who shall come forth from your body and I will establish his kingdom 13 He shall build a house for my name and I will establish the throne of his kingdom for ever 16 And your house and your kingdom shall be made sure for ever before me your throne shall be established for ever]

[Lk1:31 And, behold, **thou shalt conceive in thy womb, and bring forth a son, and shalt call his name JESUS. 32 He shall be great, and shall be called the Son of the Highest: and the Lord God shall give unto him the throne of his father David: 33 And he shall reign over the house of Jacob for ever; and of his kingdom there shall be no end.] If Jesus is son of David and king in David’s line then his mother is Gebirah, queen mother in the Davidic Kingdom.

[1Chron29:23 Then **Solomon sat on the throne of the LORD as king instead of David his father, and prospered; and all Israel obeyed him. 24]

[1Kgs2:19 Bathsheba therefore went unto king Solomon, to speak unto him for Adonijah. And **the king rose up to meet her, and bowed himself unto her, and sat down on his throne, and caused a seat to be set for the king’s mother, and she sat on his right hand.] Soloman the son of David set a throne for his mother as did all those sons of David and kings in David’s line from Soloman on.

Jer 52:1 Zedikiah was twenty-one years old when he became king, and he reigned eleven years in Jerusalem. his mother’s name was Hamutal, daughter of Jeremiah of Libnah. See also 2Kgs8:26, 2Kgs21:1.

[Jer 44:9 Have you forgotten the wickedness committed by your fathers and by **the kings and queens of Judah and the wickedness committed by you and your wives in the land of Judah and the streets of Jerusalem?]
[Jer 13:18 Say to **the king and to the queen mother, Come down from your thrones, for your glorious crowns will fall from your heads. 19 The cities in the Negev will be shut up, and there will be no one to open them. All Judah will be carried into exile, carried completely away.] see 2Kings25:1-26.

Despite the wickedness of some of the kings and queen mothers. Jeremiah calls both the king and queen mother’s crowns glorious. No prophet ever spoke against the office of queen mother.

Mk10:40 But to sit on my right hand and on my left hand is not mine to give; but it shall be given to them for whom it is prepared.

[1Kgs8:20 And the Lord hath performed his word that he spake, and **I am risen up in the room of David my father, and sit on the throne of Israel, as the Lord promised, and have built an house for the name of the Lord God of Israel. 21 And b]I have set there a place for the ark, wherein is the covenant of the LORD, which he made with our fathers, when he brought them out of the land of Egypt.] Christ the king and Son of David sets a place for the Ark, Mary. His mother, queen mother, in the new regenerated spiritual kingdom of David, spiritual Israel.

[Rev 11:19 And **the temple of God was opened in heaven and there was seen in his temple the ark of his testament and there were lightnings and voices and thunderings and an earthquake and great hail. Rv12:1 And there appeared a great wonder in heaven a woman clothed with the sun and the moon under her feet and upon her head a crown of twelve stars 2 And she being with child cried travailing in birth and pained to be delivered]

The woman, Rv12:1 is a person=Mary, symbolic of the Church, Old and New Covenant people of God. Twelve stars, universal queen, queen mother. The red dragon, Rv1:3, is a person and symbolic of governments and orgainizations that persecute the Church throughout the ages. The man child, to rule all nations, Rv12:5, is a person=Christ. [Symbolic of all persons. JPII The Gospel of Life. Chapter 104.]

[Lk22:28 Ye are they which have continued with me in my temptations. 29 And ** I appoint unto you a kingdom, as my Father hath appointed unto me; 30 That ye may eat and drink at my table in my kingdom, and sit on thrones judging the twelve tribes of Israel. 31 And the Lord said, Simon,Simon, behold, Satan hath desired to have you, that he may sift you as wheat: 32 But I have prayed for thee, that thy faith fail not: and when thou art converted, strengthen thy brethren.]
The kingdom, on earth, the Church where we eat and drink at the Lord’s table, Mass. Peter is First Minister as he is given the keys to that kingdom. Peter, who’s faith Christ prayed would not fail is to strengthen his brethren and all the sheep and lambs, Jn21:15-17. That would be all the brethren including the other apostles. Peter is universal pastor and his faith is guaranteed by Christ. Christ the king, holds the keys by right, and delegates his authority, with those keys, to his First Minister, [Isa 22:19-22 & Mt 16:13-19]. That Kingdom is for all people in all places and all times. Christ is universal, catholic, King and his mother is universal catholic, Gebirah=Queen Mother in the regenerated spiritual, universal Davidic Kingdom.

With all the masses being said all over the world, how can one say that Catholics just focus on Mary…That being said, we should love our Blessed MOther because Jesus loved her too. When CHrist died on the cross, he left His Mother to St. John’s care and because of that early traditions have always given her reverence.

Too much analysis leads to paralysis…Our Lord loved His mother and so should we…Another great man we should look up to is St. Joseph

catholic.com/magazine/articles/hail-mary-conceived-without-sin
This should help with the sin concern.

catholic.com/magazine/articles/how-can-mary-be-god’s-mother
This should help with the mother of God concern

Most Protestants deny that the church is supposed to be the continuing Davidic Kingdom and therefore the entire message got tossed out along with the Sacraments, etc. Most see it as a “me, Jesus and the Bible”…

Much more than that but again, invincible ignorance is out there among them and we have to see to it that our faith is not dragged through the mud by them, because they don’t know any better.

Alex is asking questions because he wants to understand better. To say he has a very shallow understanding of the bible sounds uncharitable.

1 Like

I cannot speak for other catholics, but I focus so much on Mary because I want to be like Jesus and Jesus put Mary first before all of the rest of His creation.

therefore, I also put Mary first out of all of God creatures.

there are additional reasons. I know Jesus listens to Mary and honors her requests of Him. consequently, I ask Mary to bring my requests to Jesus.

I believe Jesus hears my prayers, but I do not believe all prayers are equal in efficacy.

The Church is a community and those who have passed on before who are no longer here on this plane of existence still can intercede for us via prayer just as you can pray for me or vice versa. Hence the prayer to Mary or the Saints.

Mary did not cease being the mother of Jesus when He ascended and I know He still honors her as His mother. After all, one of the Ten Commandments say something about honoring parents. I do not see any reason why God does not follow His own commandments.

What I do not understand is why Protestants go on and on about the noble calling of motherhood and then turn around and ignore the Mother of God. Some Protestants go as far as calling Mary a mere incubator. :mad:

What makes the mother of a fallen human much more worthy of honor than the mother of God?

:thumbsup:

They say that the Church is misogynistic and patriarchal. Then they say that we focus too much on Mary and we shouldn’t do that either. So which is it? Seems to me like we’ve got it exactly right.

Here is a prayer that the Marian Fathers of the Immaculate Conception (and confraternity members) pray regularly, which contains a request for intercession and grant from God the Father:

V. Glory to the Father and to the Son and to the Holy Spirit:
R. As it was in the beginning, is now and will be forever. Amen.
V. In Your Conception, O Virgin Mary, You were Immaculate.
R. Pray for us to the Father whose son, Jesus, you brought forth into the world.
Let us pray.
[INDENT]Father, You prepared the Virgin Mary to be the worthy mother of Your Son.
You let her share beforehand in the salvation Christ would bring
by His death, and kept her sinless from the first moment of her
conception. Help us by her prayers to live in Your presence
without sin. We ask this in the name of Jesus the Lord.
R. Amen.
V. The Virgin Mary’s Immaculate Conception
R. Be our Health and our Protection.[/INDENT]

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.