Why Do Catholics Focus so much on Mary?

Catholics are not obliged to believe in any apparition. Apparitions are known as private revelation]. Catholics are only obliged to believe in the gospel once delivered to the saints by Christ. We call that public revelation.

Did Juan Diego really exist I can’t prove that. I can only go on what has come down through books and the constant tradition as lived out in Mexico for centuries. That’s also the only way I can show Julius Caesar existed.

As far as coming back from the afterlife, I assume you are talking about Mary not Juan. I don’t recall any scripture or teaching that tells us one can’t come back, by God’s grace, and appear to someone. Moses and Elijah appeared with Christ at the transfiguation. Where did you get this thought? Hope this helps

1 Like

In short - because she made more for Jesus than any one else. :hug3:

Many good things can be said of the Blessed Virgin Mary from many different angles from the sources of divine revelation, that is, from Sacred Scripture and Sacred Tradition.
I will just mention a few here. Firstly, Jesus Christ did not appear on the earth out of the blue as an adult man. By God’s will and the divine plan of the redemption of the human race, the eternal Son of God became incarnate for the salvation of the human race in the womb of the Blessed Virgin by her free assent to the message of the angel Gabriel at the Annuciation. Jesus Christ took flesh through the power of the Holy Spirit in the womb of Mary for the salvation of the human race. Mary freely cooperated with God’s will in His plan for the salvation and redemption of the human race. And Mary together with St Joseph raised Jesus. Thus the Catechism of the Catholic Church says " “In a wholly singular way she cooperated by her obedience, faith, hope, and burning charity in the Savior’s work of restoring supernatural life to souls. For this reason she is a mother to us in the order of grace.” (#968).

And (CCC#494): As St. Irenaeus says, “Being obedient she became the cause of salvation for herself and for the whole human race.” Hence not a few of the early Fathers gladly assert. . .: “The knot of Eve’s disobedience was untied by Mary’s obedience: what the virgin Eve bound through her disbelief, Mary loosened by her faith.” Comparing her with Eve, they call Mary “the Mother of the living” and frequently claim: “Death through Eve, life through Mary.”

And (CCC#488): “The Father of mercies willed that the Incarnation should be preceded by assent on the part of the predestined mother, so that just as a woman had a share in the coming of death, so also should a woman contribute to the coming of life.”

Mary’s cooperation in the divine plan of salvation did not end with the incarnation of Jesus Christ or at her death. We find our Blessed Lady at the foot of the cross at Jesus’s crucifixion uniting her sufferings with that of Jesus to the Father for the redemption of the human race “And a sword will pierce your own soul too” (Luke 2:35). On the cross, Jesus gave us Mary to be our mother. So, the CCC#969 says " “This motherhood of Mary in the order of grace continues uninterruptedly from the consent which she loyally gave at the Annunciation and which she sustained without wavering beneath the cross, until the eternal fulfilment of all the elect. Taken up to heaven she did not lay aside this saving office but by her manifold intercession continues to bring us the gifts of eternal salvation … Therefore the Blessed Virgin is invoked in the Church under the titles of Advocate, Helper, Benefactress, and Mediatrix.”

And again " Jesus is Mary’s only son, but her spiritual motherhood extends to all men whom indeed he came to save: “The Son whom she brought forth is he whom God placed as the first-born among many brethren, that is, the faithful in whose generation and formation she co-operates with a mother’s love.”(CCC#501).

If we meditate and contemplate on all this and on Mary’s role in the divine plan of salvation, we can see why the Catholic Church and catholics should honor and love our Blessed Mother, as Jesus did, with special devotion. We honor, esteem, and love her out of gratitude and thanksgiving as well as because of the role she plays in our spiritual lives as Mother of divine grace. Mary loves us much more than we can return her love for us to her. The fourth commandment of God is “Honor thy father and thy mother.” God is our Father and Mary is our spiritual mother. The Scripture says “like one who stores up treasure, so also is he who honors his mother” (Sirach 3:4). And “those who provoke their mother are accursed by their Creator.” (Sirach 3:16).

Mary is God’s masterpiece of creation, His most perfect creature and the one who is like God more than any other creature. When we honor and love our Blessed Mother, we are also honoring He who created her, that is, God. We are honoring He, the Artist, who made such a beautiful creature.

ewtn.com/library/ANSWERS/MARYMEDI.HTM << here’s a good explanation of what Mediatrix means. :slight_smile:

Also, I failed to explain in my post #2 that we are in no way obliged to believe in the Marian apparitions. I think this explains it beautifully >> forums.catholic.com/showpost.php?p=11948126&postcount=2

We focus on her because she is the MOTHER OF GOD. Let that sink in. God was in her very own WOMB for 9 months. She gave BIRTH to GOD. She literally RAISED the LORD our GOD. (capitalized for emphasis. Let it sink in - exactly who she is). The other reason we focus on her is because she loves us and we love her.

On to your other questions:

Protestants don’t ever mention her because a devotion to Mary is a known sign of God’s approval. God does not approve of heresy, although He still loves protestants.

Our Mother was conceived without sin, set apart from all other humans, because she was to be the Mother of our Lord Jesus Christ - God. All have sinned does not include the Mother of God. She never sinned. You have to understand that she is quite a bit distinguished from the rest of the human race.

Our Mother is not God’s husband. She is His Mother. She is the Queen of Heaven because she is above all in Heaven except God. She is His highest created being.

Read the writings of St. Ignatius of Antioch if you are doubting Catholicism. He was martyred around 100 AD and wrote letters on the way to being eaten by lions for Christ. Those letters teach Catholicism. Read about the early Church Fathers.

If you are having trouble understanding our Mother, read the writings of St. Louis De Montfort.

Our Mother is well known for defeating heresy. Ask her to help you.

I salute you. I love you
I salute your Guardian Angel (I love you. Please help)

Mother please help. I love you

Holy Spirit please help God in Jesus Name I pray. I love you
Father please let your will be done. I love you. In Jesus Name I pray.
Jesus I trust in you. I love you. In Jesus Name I pray

St. Gabrielle the Archangel please help. I love you.

Christianity is about and would not exist without Jesus who saves. Christianity is also the people of God saved by Jesus. The only focus on Mary are those great things God has done to her, as scripture tells us. Have you never read that scripture and asked yourself, what great things has God done to Mary? I list them as Immaculate Conception, mother of God, perpetual virgin, assumption, mediatrix, queen mother, ark of the covenant among others. If you have any questions on my list let me know.

Yes that is the same when I was Protestant. Despite the clear fact scripture tells us all generations will call her blessed and God has done great things to Mary. Sadly almost all Protestant denominations put themselves outside of those generations as though she was kicked to the curb when Christ was born. I thank God, I now belong to the generations that call her blessed. I consider it a sure indication of the one visible Church Christ is building.

[Lk1: 41 And it came to pass, that, **when Elisabeth heard the salutation of Mary, the babe leaped in her womb; and Elisabeth was filled with the Holy Ghost: 42 And she spake out with a loud voice, and said, Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb.43 And whence is this to me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?44 For, lo, as soon as the voice of thy salutation sounded in mine ears, the babe leaped in my womb for joy.45 And blessed is she that believed: for there shall be a performance of those things which were told her from the Lord.46 And Mary said, My soul doth magnify the Lord, 47 And my spirit hath rejoiced in God my Saviour. 48 For he hath regarded the low estate of his handmaiden: for, behold, from henceforth all generations shall call me blessed.49 For he that is mighty hath done to me great things; and holy is his name.]

Jesus honored his mother. Are you saying we should not HONOR her?

Jesus loved his mother so much, he preformed the miracle at Cana at her request.

Mary was sinless at her Conception because NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE WITH GOD. The Messiah could NOT be born of a sinner.

The Seven Sorrows of Our Lady

1. St. Simeon’s Prophecy
  2. The Flight into Egypt
  3. The Loss of Jesus in the Temple
  4. The Meeting of Mary and Jesus on the Way to Calvary
  5. The Crucifixion and Death of Jesus
  6. The Piercing of the Side of Jesus, and His Descent from the Cross
  7. The Burial of Jesus.

Why Devotion to the
Heart of Our Mother in Her Sorrows?

Because Jesus wants this devotion.

“Jesus Christ Himself revealed to Blessed Veronica of Binasco,
that, He is more pleased in seeing His Mother compassionated than
Himself.

” He said to her: ‘My daughter, tears shed for My Passion are
dear to Me; but as I loved My Mother Mary with an immense love, the
meditation on the torments which She endured at My death is even
more agreeable to Me.’

“Wherefore the graces promised by Jesus to those who are devoted
to the dolors of Mary are very great.”

fatima.org/essentials/requests/devotion_of_seven_sorrows.pdf

Hi Alex:

At least in terms of personal sin, the unborn & infants haven’t sinned either, but this doesn’t make the verse in Roman inaccurate per se. Also, the Catholic teaching is that Mary was preserved from original sin as a special act of God at the moment of her conception. On the unique role of the Theotokos, the example that has been used by Christians since ancient Roman times is that rather than being saved by falling into a pit of muck and then pulled out, she was saved by being steered clear of the pit before falling in, but she was most certainly saved.

The Holy Spirit is called Mary’s spouse sometimes, but this is an expression of her role and not a literal sacramental marriage, which wouldn’t be possible anyway since God is pure spirit, and marriage can only occur between a man and a woman. Mary’s lawful spouse was the patriarch, St Joseph. She is the Queen of Heaven due to being the mother of our Lord. Everything about Mariology in Catholicism is because of her unique relationship to her divine Son.

Apparitions are the glorified saints that have a particular purpose when appearing on Earth, and Our Lady in particular has come to her children many times. This shouldn’t be concerning because there are several instances within the Bible of this occurring, such as with Elijah & Moses, or with Jesus himself post-Resurrection, or with the angels. Catholics don’t believe that God ceased to be a God of miracles after the time of the apostles. In a sense, we continue to live in “Biblical times” to the present day, in that God continues to be an active agent in the world that defends us from evil and steers his people towards their final destination of Heaven. The age of heroes continues to the present day and will continue in the future as well. The successors of the apostles continue to forgive sin, drive out demons, and liberate the world from the prince of darkness.

God bless.

Message Of World-Wide Importance

Devotion to the Sorrowful and Immaculate Heart of Mary

This Message was confided by Our Lord to Berthe Petit, a humble Franciscan Tertiary, born on January 23, 1870, at Enghien, Belgium:

“Teach souls to love the Heart of My Mother pierced by the very sorrows
which pierced Mine.” (December 25, 1909)

At the Holy Hour (March 25, 1912) the Blessed Virgin spoke thus: “I have called myself the Immaculate Conception. To you I call myself Mother of the Sorrowful Heart. This title willed by my Son is dear to me above all others. According as it is spread everywhere, there will be granted graces of mercy, spiritual renewal and salvation.”

brizek.com/prayer/pieta.htm

Have you attended a Mass yet? Our Lady barely features, it’s all about Jesus and the Mass is the Highest Form of Worship in the Catholic faith.

Below are some reasons:

1. She is the first Christian ever

2. We honor her as Our Lord and Saviour honors her as his mother. Honor they parents.

3. She is the Ark of the New Covenant.

I encourage you to watch the video below. It’s short and concisely explains in simple language the role of Our Lady. As an adult convert it blew away all my doubts and questions regarding her.

youtube.com/watch?v=kUdYeYy3NQA

1. Jesus was fully human and fully divine. Two sides of the same coin. He was sinless by nature. Mary was not sinless by nature, she was sinless due entirely to the “grace of God”.

2. In the ancient Davidic Kingdoms of Israel, the Mother of the King is the Queen. The Kings wife is not the Queen. No, the King is not married to his mother, his wife played a part but the role of the Queen has always been given to the mother of the King. Sacred Scripture should not be interpreted or read in a vacuum. Historical, political, cultural and social norms should also be taken into consideration.

3. Catholics are not required to believe in Marian apparitions. Having said that, if Catholics want to follow or believe Marian apparitions they are only allowed to believe/follow the apparitions that have been approved by the Vatican. e.g. Medjugorge is not approved by the Vatican, I will not visit there until it is, it may never be approved. Mind you many Catholics are disobedient and visit there and believe Mary is appearing in a bread loaf or a tree.

You may see/hear/read some things from all sorts of Catholics now that you are investigating coming over. DO NOT BELIEVE ALL OF IT OR TAKE IT ON FACE VALUE. Talk to your Priest. Browse this site (not this forum, the other tabs on top). It has excellent answers. Listen to the podcasts, CA apologists use plain language to explain some oftentimes huge theological and philosophical questions posed in Sacred Scripture.

If still in doubt go here www.vatican.va

Welcome to the Tiber Tribe.

People who came back from the dead in the Bible :

The widow of Zarephath’s son (1 Kings 17:17–24)

The Shunammite woman’s son (2 Kings 4:18–37)

The man raised out of Elisha’s grave (2 Kings 13:20–21)

The widow of Nain’s son (Luke 7:11–17)

Jairus’ daughter (Luke 8:52–56)

Lazarus of Bethany (John 11)

Various saints in Jerusalem (Matthew 27:50–53)

Tabitha (Acts 9:36–43)

Eutychus (Acts 20:7–12)

Jesus (Mark 16:1–8)

1 Like

This is a wonderful post.

Alex,

Juan Diego is a canonized saint. Yes, he existed.

With regard to private revelations, those that are approved by the Church are okay to believe. No, we aren’t required to believe them; but that doesn’t mean that they can be informative and inspiring.

The symbols in the image of Our Lady of Guadalupe, as understood by the Aztec culture, caused approximately eight million of them to be converted to Christianity. Here is a site that explains more:

catholiceducation.org/en/culture/catholic-contributions/the-tilma-s-symbolism.html

Because we believe she, like all saints (Matthew 10:41) is entitled to honor, but special honor because she is also the mother of God. If you read carefully about this subject you’ll find the Church is VERY clear that Mary IS ONLY holy BECAUSE OF JESUS.:slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much!! :extrahappy:

This thread has done so much to inform me about Mary’s role in my life as a Catholic. :egyptian:

Yes I am still in RCIA so I will have many questions. :o

My only question now is this – I was reading an article on Wikipedia that said that Juan Diego and St. Catherine of Alexandria were basically legends. I realize that documentation is hard to come by but I was just wondering why it says that some scholars doubt the existence of these two saints. :confused:

Juan Diego, a Vatican source:

vatican.va/news_services/liturgy/saints/ns_lit_doc_20020731_juan-diego_en.html

St. Catherine of Alexandria

Although contemporary hagiographers look upon the authenticity of the various texts containing the legend of St. Catherine as more than doubtful, it is not therefore meant to cast even the shadow of a doubt around the existence of the saint. But the conclusion reached when these texts have been carefully studied is that, if the principal facts forming the outline are to be accepted as true, the multitude of details by which these facts are almost obscured, most of the wonderful narratives with which they are embellished, and the long discourses that are put into the mouth of St. Catherine, are to be rejected as inventions, pure and simple.

Clugnet, L. (1908). St. Catherine of Alexandria. In The Catholic Encyclopedia. New York: Robert Appleton Company. newadvent.org/cathen/03445a.htm

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.