Why do Catholics leave Jesus "on the Cross" & Protestants do not?

Why do Catholics leave Jesus on “the Cross” & Protestants do not?

Feel good factor.

We don’t leave Jesus on the cross. A crucifix is a depiction of Jesus on the cross–that is quite a difference. If you took a picture of your child at the beach, does that mean your child is still at the beach because the picture shows the child at the beach? Of course not. Are the 4 Presidents actually on Mt. Rushmore, or are their images depicted on Mt. Rushmore?
That argument is one of the silliest ones I have heard. In addition, the empty cross is not a symbol of the Resurrection. The empty tomb is. Jesus did not rise from the cross–someone took down His dead body. He rose from the grave, not the cross.

People use images all the time to remind them of someone or something. And that is what a crucifix is. And if we can have an image of dead Presidents or famous people to remind us of them, why can’t we have an image of Jesus, who was a real person as well as being God?

The cross is empty because Jesus is no longer there. Yes, he suffered and died on that Cross for the sins of the world and our crucifixes remind us of that. What our empty crosses remind us of is that Jesus’ work is finished. He was taken down from that Cross, laid in a tomb, did His Victory Tour in Hell, rose from the dead on the Third day and after forty days He ascended to the Father’s Right Hand. All that remains is His parousia and the resurrection of the dead ( and the coming Kingdom of God).

Because it is a simple of what Christ did for us on the cross. It is a more powerful symbol than simply two blocks of wood that look like a cross. We don’t think Christ is still on the cross rather he overcome death by the cross. Every time we see Christ on the crucifix we are reminded of what he did for us.

That’s silly. Do you take baby Jesus out of the manger because he’s no longer there?

Churches should have a crucifix. Especially Lutheran ones. 1 Corinthians 1:23 “We preach Christ crucified.”

Because it’s too difficult to wear an “empty tomb” around your neck, or hang on a church wall? lol

But really, this is one issue that I totally “get” now; what good is an empty cross? An empty cross is meaningless as far a theology is concerned. A crucifix is meaningful, and an empty tomb is meaningful, but an empty cross… not so much IMO. A cross on its own is good to symbolize Christians/Christianity so it has use as an identifier, but as a worship aid or meditation aid… I don’t know any more. :shrug:

We are though a resurrection people and need to remember that. He died and HE ROSE,

Depends whether you reject Easter in favour of Good Friday…

By the way, the header is rather … we are all Christians, HATE that label you use lke that as if the P word means a lesser species.

I learned my deep faith , in the Church of England and it was strong and full and of Jesus… there was more kindness there than I see here often.

The one I love is the Risen Christ … But at one church in one county they erect the one they had been given out at the back near the toilets…

The crosses of the two thieves are empty too…

So Easter did nto happen? Only Good Friday… well I differ. Easter happened and JOY! Jesus ROSE,
Without that we have no faith do we? Had He not risen? NO Easter, no faith,

OK> over and out from me before I revert! :wink: At ttimes I feel tempted believe me…

PS I am in Ireland where we have the Celtic Cross… Love that…

brand differentiation

its easier to include on a flag , shield, helmet

Cheaper; easier to make and adorn a building

here is my view of across the street:
Catholic boarding houses from the 1800s
**with Crosses
google.com/maps/@38.9317216,-74.9162578,3a,75y,337.82h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sYZoPWKkysGRpsOgbFpW1ng!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

its just a symbol: right?

In my personal opinion either one is perfectly acceptable. one depicts the sufering and death and another the resurrection, both are vital to the message of Jesus.

In addition, maybe that a crucifix necklace or earrings may be heavier or have parts that may catch on clothing or other objects ( my hair gets tangled around earrings easily), and may not be really practical, although I am sure it could be done.

Some Catholics focus on His suffering, some Protestants focus on redemption.

Most Catholics focus on both. They know you have to go with Jesus through Good Friday to arrive at Easter. A crucifix (cross) without Jesus on it is not complete.

I can see your point, although I don’t want to arrive on Easter morning to Jesus still up there.

Most churches have a large crucifix or empty cross at the front of the church, this is really Impossible to change back and forth. My church covers the empty cross on Good Friday with a black cloth and then removes it Easter Morning.

Patrick, I think your question makes a presumption that doesn’t fit. Many Protestants do not take Jesus away from the cross - rather we emphasize His act there. Lutherans and Anglicans especially have crucifixes.

Here is the chapel at the world’s largest Lutheran university:

And Lutheran churches that do not have a large crucifix will almost certainly have an altar or standing crucifix visible somewhere in the sanctuary. Take this one from Trinity Lutheran in Danville, IL:

The point is that we have both. Silly or not ( I guess the world would regard our Gospel as " foolishness?"), that’s the best explanation I can come up with. The empty cross symbolizes Christ’s death and resurrection. The crucifix serves as a reminder of the price Jesus Christ paid for our salvation. Did Jesus remain a Baby forever? Yes, " we preach Christ and him crucified" ( 1 Cor. 1:23) but, let us not lose track of this very important lesson that we learn from the Epistle to the Romans, chapter 4, verses 13 through 25:
The Promise Realized Through Faith
13 For the promise to Abraham and his offspring that he would be heir of the world did not come through the law* but through the righteousness of faith. **14 For if it is the adherents of the law who are to be the heirs, faith is null and the promise is void. 15 For the law brings wrath, but where there is no law there is no transgression.

16 That is why it depends on faith, in order that the promise may rest on grace and be guaranteed to all his offspring—not only to the adherent of the law but also to the one who shares the faith of Abraham, who is the father of us all, 17 as it is written, “I have made you the father of many nations”—in the presence of the God in whom he believed, who gives life to the dead and calls into existence the things that do not exist. 18 In hope he believed against hope, that he should become the father of many nations, as he had been told, “So shall your offspring be.” 19 He did not weaken in faith when he considered his own body, which was as good as dead (since he was about a hundred years old), or when he considered the barrenness of Sarah’s womb. 20 No unbelief made him waver concerning the promise of God, but he grew strong in his faith as he gave glory to God, 21 fully convinced that God was able to do what he had promised. 22 That is why his faith was “counted to him as righteousness.” 23 But the words “it was counted to him” were not written for his sake alone, 24 but for ours also. It will be counted to us who believe in him who raised from the dead Jesus our Lord, 25 who was delivered up for our trespasses and raised for our justification.**** biblegateway.com/passage/?search=Romans+4&version=ESV

I understand our Evangelical Catholicism, Steido and I agree as to the necessity of the crucifixes in our churches, but I also posit the importance of being reminded ( even on Friday, the Day of the Sorrowful Mysteries) that death had no hold on Jesus and that His trip to Hell was indeed a victory tour. It’s all in the catechism, all in the catechism… my goodness, what are they teaching young people these days?*

I believe Jesus is left on the cross because every mass is a Sacrifice.

Both are used in Catholic iconography. The crucifix is mostly for liturgical rites, such as the Mass. Indeed, the rubrics say that one be visible to the congregation, if I’m stating it correctly. Catholic parishes, schools, hospitals, etc. OTOH, have a simple cross atop their buildings. Both are used for devotion. The crucifix is a focal point for meditation on Christ’s sufferings and death for our sins, while the “empty” cross symbolizes that we are take up our own cross to follow Christ, which is why some religious orders wear a simple cross instead of a crucifix. It is, as in most things Catholic, both/and not either/or. :slight_smile:

:thumbsup:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.