Why do Catholics not celebrate the OT Holy Days

I am new to the Catholic faith. Because the Catholic faith is such an Orthodox one, I am suprised they don’t celebrate the Jewish holidays as Jesus did when he walked this earth. Please explain. Sincere thanks!:coffeeread:

Yes we’re orthodox (without the capital o - capital o Orthodox are a different group of Christians altogether), but we’re orthodox Christians, not orthodox Jews.

This debate was had and settled in Acts of the Apostles - we are not bound by Jewish law in regard to festivals any more than we are in regards circumcision or dietary law.

Having said that, in a very important sense we do celebrate a lot of the Jewish festivals, just in a different style perhaps.

What is Easter if not Passover taken to its logical conclusion, after all? The two festivals are most explicitly linked in scripture and in the way we celebrate them.

As for Yom Kippur - why only spend one day a year atoning for our sins? We have the 40 days of Lent which are similarly a penitential season and serve the same purpose.

Channukah? Festival of lights? Funny it happens around Christmas. We certainly celebrate Jesus the eternal, miraculous and unfailing light of the world coming among us at Christmas. See the similarities?

Thank you, I will read the book of Acts again… it’s been years since I’ve read it, and I just ordered a Catholic bible that’s on the way.

I know that the Catholic church is not the Orthodox church, and I know that they are not Orthodox Jews. However, someone in my family brought the question up, and I thought they had a good point… Jesus did celebrate the Jewish Holy Days, so why don’t Catholics (or most Christians for that matter). Thanks again for your response, and I will definitely take your words to heart (and closely read the book of Acts again).

The Church does celebrate two Jewish holy days that have been fulfilled:

Passover–as the Resurrection of the Lord.

Pentecost (Shavout)–as the Descent of the Holy Spirit.

Galatians makes it plain that if you accept “circumcision”–shorthand for Jewish practices–Christ will do you no good.

“Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ.” (Colossians 2:16-17)

The rituals and festivals of the Old Covenant merely foreshadowed what we celebrate in the New Covenant - the real thing. For example, circumcision foreshadowed Baptism (Col. 2:11-12). But circumcision was only symbolic, Baptism gives Christ’s saving grace. Here’s more:

catholic.com/thisrock/1990/9012apl.asp

catholic.com/thisrock/2008/0812btb.asp

Thanks, These two articles are very thorough! :thumbsup:

Hi rloremland, there is a set of 22 CD’s Called the Bible and the Mass: The Jewish Roots of Christian Liturgy, by Dr. Brant Pitre. In one of the CD’s he discusses Jesus and the seven Jewish Feasts and how Jesus fulfilled each. www.Catholic-Productions.com.

I haven’t ordered them yet, but I do have some of his other CD’s he is really very orthodox and presents the material very well.

OH, that’s easy. If we celebrated OT holidays, we’d be jewish!!! ask me another!!! LOL

Go to a store called Pauline’s. The Daughter of St. Paul. I’m pretty sure there’s a store in your area.

Jesus celebrated the Jewish Holy Days because He was Jewish.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.