Why do Catholics wear crucifixes?

I was wondering why Catholics who wear a cross around their neck always have Jesus on the cross? When I see Protestants wearing crosses, they never have Jesus on the cross. They tell me it is because Jesus has been resurrected. Could you please give me the Catholic position?

There is nothing wrong with wearing an “empty cross,” but Catholics ordinarily prefer crucifixes because it reminds them of Jesus’ sacrifice, and of how we must continue to pray that the graces won by that sacrifice will be applied to us and bring us eventually to heaven. As a side note, while many Protestants say that an “empty cross” symbolizes the Resurrection of Christ, actually an empty cross merely symbolizes that the cross isn’t currently being used. There is nothing about an empty cross, in and of itself, to indicate the Resurrection. A better symbol of the Resurrection is the empty tomb.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.