Why do Christians refuse to let gay people get married?

To be clear I am not asking why the church does not support or condone gay marriage, that I know, what I am trying to ask is why some Christians (certainly not all) insist that other people must follow the rules of Christianity even if they aren’t christian. I’m sure that most Christians would find it ridiculous if Muslim groups asked the government to ban the sale of pork because their religion doesn’t allow it. Because no one should be forced to follow the rules of someone else’s religion. But on the subject of gay marriage it doesn’t seem to be enough that Christians don’t support gay marriage they want everyone in the country, christian or otherwise to be forced to follow the rules of their religion. So my question why is that, or am I totally off base here? This has been on my mind recently and I really appreciate any response to this.

The following link should help answer your question. If you have any further questions, please contact Catholic Answers directly.

Recommended Reading:

Why should American Catholics be opposed to gay marriage?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.