Why do Christians say the name of YHWH?

I notice that many Jews, even today, will not name or even spell out the name of their Lord–YHWH. When they must spell out His name, they usually put in dashes and do not entirely spell out the word.

I am curious: when did Christians begin more freely saying the name of YHWH aloud? Why do Christians not feel the same concern as do many Jews?

Because Jesus has shown us the face of the Father in his face, thus making God accessible to everyone.

I would speculate that the major religions, and the Christian subdivisions, want to distinguish themselves from each other in as many ways as possible.

Consider how some protestant churches encouraged their members to stay home on Christmas, even though it was a Sunday. That served a couple purposes in getting attention, for sure, and for distinguishing themselves from Catholics – for sure – who require Sunday and Holyday Mass attendance.

There’s probably a technically more precise answer to the title question.

In the first place, Catholics never discouraged reverence for the name of God.

Catholics are fully engaged in the Ten Commandments. None of them have been repealed.

Recall that even Jesus criticized the Pharisees and Scribes for putting unnecessary burdens on Jewish believers. Whatever the technical explanation is, I’m sure it comes down to an assessment that the Jewish observance was “overboard” to begin with.

And, from the gospels, Jesus was surely critical of the Jewish leaders for obeying the Law in form only, not with and from their hearts.

Last, the New Testament doesn’t seem to dwell on that point. The previous poster noted that the Law was fulfilled in Jesus. It is IN HIM, and WITH HIM, and THROUGH HIM that all honor and glory goes to the Father, in the unity of the Holy Spirit.

The name of Jesus is no less holy than YHWH.

[quote=Madaglan]I notice that many Jews, even today, will not name or even spell out the name of their Lord–YHWH. When they must spell out His name, they usually put in dashes and do not entirely spell out the word.

I am curious: when did Christians begin more freely saying the name of YHWH aloud? Why do Christians not feel the same concern as do many Jews?
[/quote]

this is because it is a jewish superstition which believes it’s “blasphemy” to say the name of god (even in prayer). it’s nothing other than superstition and actually is a late development, which wasn’t around during the apostolic Christian times.

Because God has revealed to Christians that He is our Father, and we are His children.

closed #6

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.