Why do doubts always seem to plague me during the Liturgy of the Eucharist?

Hi everyone. During the Liturgy of the Eucharist, I am often plagued with doubts about the Real Presence of Christ in the Eucharist. This really bothers me. I mean, I definitely believe in the Real Presence very strongly and in fact, I rarely doubt the Real Presence except during the Liturgy of the Eucharist. What is up with that? :shrug::confused:

Perhaps the devil is tempting you.

God sometimes permits such temptations because they can strengthen your faith if you resist them.

As long as you reject them, they are not really doubts (i.e., not sinful), but rather “difficulties” or “temptations.” It is very meritorious when you struggle against them. Be strong! This gives you an opportunity to say to Jesus something like, “No matter what I am feeling right now, I reject these doubtful feelings, and I truly believe in Your presence here in the Eucharist.”

Lord, I believe. Help my unbelief.

This is a prayer I offer up when in doubt and often God will answer it and my doubt will vanish.

Some may call me crazy, but…

In 1999 I want to early Saturday morning mass… During the Eucharist prayer, at the time when the priest asks the Holy Spirit to descend upon the gifts (the bread and wine) “Epiclesis”… The priest’s hands lit up much like the burning bush that Moses saw.

When mass was over, I asked others if they saw the hands on fire. No one did except me, but then I’m the only one who prayed about my unbelief… A week later I asked another priest about what I saw. His answer was, “You saw the hands of Christ. (Persona Christi) When the priest is praying the Eucharistic prayer, he is taking on the person of Christ.” So, what I saw were the hands of Christ transforming the bread and wine into his body and blood, not the priest’s hands…

Pray the prayer “Lord, I believe – Help my unbelief” and I’m sure God will answer.

Satan always attacks that which is most holy. Whether it be the Church, marriage, love, Sacred Scripture (and in particular its meaning) or presence of our Lord Jesus Christ in the Eucharist, Satan is always trying to separate us from the Truth.

I heard someone say that it’s at that precise time the devil likes to attack the faithful.

Sounds like Satan is trying to sow the seeds of doubt. Pray for Grace and read Sacred Scripture!

Read John 6 again; "I am the living bread which came down from heaven; if any one eats of this bread, he will live for ever; and the bread which I shall give for the life of the world is my flesh." (JN 6:51). Sounds like the real flesh that hung on the Cross for the life of the world.

In John 6:66 we find the only time where some disciples leave Jesus, if He was only speaking figuratively He would have clarified.

In St Paul’s 1st Letter to the Corinthians he says **“Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord.” **(1 Cor 11:27).

Also the early Church and early Church Fathers all believed in the Real Presence.

Sancta Maria, Mater Dei, Ora Pro Nobis Peccatoribus!

Mark

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.