why do i cry only in catholic churches?

I grew up going to a different denomination however i feel drawn to Catholicism. I have never been baptized and was curious why it is i only cry in Catholic churches. i have been to others and have no such problem. I feel like a child and am embarrassed to attend regularly because of this…any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank You :slight_smile:

You are probably being affected by the Real Presence of Christ in the tabernacle–the golden box usually located at the front of the church on or near the altar. It sounds like he is drawing you to himself. :slight_smile:

When I was a little girl my first visit to a Catholic church was in the Cathedral of St. Paul in St. Paul, MN. Quite an introduction, yes? But it wasn’t the building that awed me as I entered. I could feel “Someone” was “at home” there. I could sense him calling to me, and it frightened me–the same way many of the people in the Bible were overcome with holy fear in the presence of angels or of the Lord himself.

Later, I would visit Catholic churches to pray, even though I was a staunch Protestant. There was some undefinable ambience, as I expressed it at the time, that emitted holiness and peace. I was only later, when I started attending a Catholic parish with the view toward becoming Catholic that it hit me–I was sensing the same thing I did as a little girl in the Cathedral. I didn’t even know it was the Real Presence yet–not until I accidentally heard the expression and realized it was the Eucharist that was being referred to.

Anyway, sorry for the long post, but I just wanted to share with you that your experience is perfectly normal. God calls each of us in ways that will best alert us to his presence and his desire for our souls. Consider it a blessing that you are so affected, but don’t expect it to last or to be the foundation of belief. It’s just a little love note from God, who is calling you into a deeper relationship with him and his Church. God bless you.

Only the Catholic Church has the Real Presence of the Lord – the Eucharist in the tabernacle. Tears are normal when we are in the presence of the Lord.

hey, don’t worry , icry and have cried too in the church as well… espiecally because of personal issues t, in the church im able to cry and its agood crying, one that is healing… its a good thing

Maybe God is calling you to the Catholic Church!

From what you said, it sounds like Jesus is touching you in some way only in the catholic churchs. What do you think that might mean? It dosen’t hurt to find out. Keep going.
He will tell you if you keep visiting them and say “speak Lord, for your servant is listening.”

May God bless and keep you. May God’s face shine on you. May God be kind to you and give you peace.

It might just be because you are in the physical presence of Christ in Catholic Churches. You have heard about communion. Well, once the bread is consecrated by the priest, it becomes the Body, Blood, Soul and Divinity of Christ - our Lord made present to us. That alone could easily bring tears. It does to me.

Truthfully, the Holy Spirit is calling you to learn more about the faith. Those tears may be sorrow for your sins (good!) as well as perhaps a certain regret that you are not yet baptized (not so good). Have you thought about checking into inquiry (RCIA) classes at a local parish? There is no obligation at all.

As well, I can highly recommend that you obtain a copy of Catholicism for Dummies. This is a highly regarded introduction to the beliefs and practices of the Catholic faith, as well as the reasons behind them.

Happy you posted this. Thank you for sharing this awesome experience. Isn’t it a great feeling when God speaks to us. Especially when we take the time to listen.

I am converting right now to the Catholic Church. I tear up and cry a lot too. Especially after my history of churches who were into entertaining and educating people verses TRULY worshiping God.

The mass is beautiful, it is meant to help us realign with God. It is not superficial or entertaining, it is humbling and passionate.

I cry every time we sing the Gloria, and often other times.

O Lord God, Lamb of God, Son of the Father: you take away the sins of the world, have mercy on us. You take away the sins of the world, receive our prayer.

Don’t be embarassed, your emotion, if anyone notices, would be very touching to any Catholic in the room.

If this only happens when you go into a Catholic Church, it sounds like you are experiencing the gift of tears of the Holy Spirit. I’m a convert to the Catholic faith. And the first time I ever went to a Catholic Mass, I didn’t cry, but I did experience a feeling of what I believe was an outpouring of the Holy Spirit on me. It’s important to realize that this isn’t something we should expect. In fact, one rarely feels anything when going into a Catholic Church. I think this feeling happens more at the beginning when converts or reverts are first being called by the Holy Spirit to the Catholic Church and less frequently the longer one is a Catholic. At least that has been my experience. As we mature in the faith we start to realize that faith is not a feeling but an act of our will to be faithful to God’s will. We begin to walk by faith and not by feelings.

I think this feeling happens more at the beginning when converts or reverts are first being called by the Holy Spirit to the Catholic Church and less frequently the longer one is a Catholic. At least that has been my experience. As we mature in the faith we start to realize that faith is not a feeling but an act of our will to be faithful to God’s will. We begin to walk by faith and not by feelings.

Yet, even as a cradle Catholic, I often do cry at the reception of Christ in the Eucharist. I dont sob but i do tear and feel like weeping, although I do contain myself. So, it isnt just the emotionalism of being a new convert that causes such an effect. It is the weekly call to conversion in Christs presence at the Mass. My tears are tears of joy for His mercy and His love for us that is so great he would humble Himself to be physically present with us in the form of bread and wine. There is a wonderful reason to cry tears of joy during the Mass - Jesus Christ is with us! He gives us His grace and mercy for all our sins every week, every day if we wanted. What could be more worthy of tears of joy?!

God bless you for sharing!

Thank You Everyone for your support. I am so glad that I chose to post this and without fail my brothers and sisters were there for me. Thank you again I appreciate all of your responses it has brightened not just my day but my path to Christ. Everyone have a blessed weekend and know you helped a lost sheep back on the path back to our Shepherd :slight_smile:

I had a very similar experience. I was a life-long Protestant, and had been reading about the Catholic Church for several months. I wanted to attend a mass just to see what it was like. When the priest consecrated the host, I started to cry. For several months after that, I kept attending my Protestant church on Sunday mornings, but was drawn back to Mass in the afternoons. And I was moved to tears almost every week. Eventually, I realized that God was leading me to the Catholic Church, and I was confirmed about a year ago. In hindsight, I think the emotion was a grace I needed at that time, to help me in my faith journey. And it was just for a season, at the time when I needed it. Hope this helps.

I still feel this way quite often. It is one of the ways that I knew that the Catholic church was my real and only home.

Interestingly, when I was searching and attending other churches, I often felt like I could not quite get enough oxygen…I’m not sure what the reason was, but it was very unpleasant!

Growing up LDS I never really felt very much during the sacrament meetings. Coming into to Catholic faith, it’s like my heart sings with joy. I always feel teary during mass, more so during the consecration of the Eucharist. I really feel Gods presence. I truly believe that when you open up your heart to God, you really feel his love.

I am Catholic and I am also brought to tears often during Mass. I didn’t know that other people experienced this as well. For me, it usually happens during the “Gloria” or the consecration of the Eucharist. This doesn’t happen during every Mass but when it does I know that God is there in our midst. I feel such joy and I fight to control the tears. Sometimes I go to Mass and I actually ask God to help me to feel his presence and he never fails me. I feel blessed when this happens. I believe we can all feel God’s presence, open your heart to him, ask him to help you to feel his presence. You may not tear up right away but keep praying for it.

God bless everyone.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.