Why do I have to be Christian?

What is your best response to :“Why do I have to identify as Christian or a follower of Jesus? Can’t I just live a good moral life and love others?”

Dear friend,

No one HAS to follow Christ. He doesn’t force Himself on us. Even a sincere atheist needs the help of Jesus Christ (whom through not fault of his own, has no faith in) to live to some degree, a morally good life. Without His help there is no hope for anyone. He is God and yet He suffered and died for us. He shows us that love is measured by sacrifice. We know how much we love by how willing we are to put ourselves out for the ones we love. What more could we want Him to do? He is the ultimate good that everyone desires, even if one is not aware of it. God designed us for union with Him. As St. Augustine tells us, He created us for Himself and our hearts are restless until they rest in Him.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.