Why do Mormons claim to be Christians?

Or go to a used book sale. We had one recently near where I live at the local library as a fund raiser. I noted 4 or 5 copies of the Book of Mormon for sale for a dollar or two each.

I do have an Android phone, so I’ll see what I can do. I can also go online and read it. I don’t like doing that because I don’t like reading books off of electronic devices, but also because it gets in my search history and I get ads for the LDS church.

Two of my sisters used to have copies, I can ask one of them. (Neither of them are Mormon). I don’t think they still have them though.

Why waste the money when you can get them for free? Nothing against used books. But you can’t beat something that is free and the money can go for other books that will be enjoyed by all.One friend went to a library used book sale and got a 4 volume set of books that is normally priced at $60 for $10. He couldn’t pass up that deal.

You may need to change your settings. Strangely and thankfully, I haven’t had that issue.

I prefer paperback books. Just a preference. I don’t pay a whole lot for most of them anyway.

Okay, so, I think another reason may be, that, in casual conversation, Mormons talk a lot about Jesus. But I’ve also seen writings that say LDS are prohibited from having a personal relationship with him. I’ve also seen contradictory statements.

There’s noting like the feel and smell of a real book, that’s for sure. Unfortunately, I had to switch to Kindles when my mother came out of rehab in 2012 after having hip surgery and was told she had to get rid of many of her books. Yes, she had that many. Still has a lot. Waits for Lent to get rid of a few. I then buy the electronic version so she can continue to enjoy them.

I believe the LDS wanted to appear more mainstream when they were preparing for the winter Olympics. Because of the international make-up of the athletes and other personnel. They even changed a couple of their alcohol restrictions to accommodate the international guests.

They have attempted to appear more like Christians ever since.

Do you think the LDS church is going to go in the same direction as the Community of Christ, and basically become a Protestant denomination that uses the Book of Mormon?

Oh my gosh! I forgot about that.

They’ll go back to their usual when ther spotlight’s off them.

Will you be watching the Winter Olympics?

In my experience, they don’t like the word “Protestant.”

Ok, by your logic Muslims are Christians now. I guess Baha’i’s are Christians too. We should also include Rastafarian’s in the definition as well. All these groups profess belief in Christ to some extent. Yet they acknowledge their doctrinal differences and don’t call themselves Christians. Interestingly, I’d say all these groups are more probably more orthodox than Mormonism because, unlike Mormonism, they are actually monotheistic.

Christ explicitly laid down the definition of a Christian when he said to the disciples, “Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” (Matthew 28:19).

Yes, heaven forbid you call anyone Christian who considers Christ as their Savior and centers their life around his teachings. If you did that then you would have to include all sorts of religions!

Since the above is unacceptable then continue to take your private interpretation and apply it globally, branding others as non-Christian for not being Trinitarians. And if that’s not enough then you can call them a cult.

But I ask you, is that the gospel of Jesus Christ? If it is then you can use that as another reason to brand me non-Christian. Meanwhile I’ll continue to revel in the peace of Christ.

I can call a dog a cat if I redefine what a cat is. Mormons have changed the definition of Christ. So go ahead and call yourselves Christian. I never cared much for that quarrel, anyway.

Is a person a Christian if he believes Christ is the redeemer of the world and he centers his life on following Jesus? If you say that is not enough, or try to define how to interpret Jesus’s teachings and thus restrict those who are “Christian” then you need to consider who has redefined the term.

Like I said, it’s not a quarrel that I really care about. You can define Christ however you want. I have not restricted anybody.

Like I said earlier, I just think it’s funny how your church claims ownership of the term Mormons but you don’t like Christians claiming their name.

Remember when President Hinckley said there’s no such thing as a fundamentalist Mormon? Hahaha …

Many Rastafari’s claim Christ as saviour, so do Messianic Jews. Are they Christians? (some Messianic’s may be Christians but most Messianics don’t consider themselves to be Christian nor follow Christian practices). This is not a “private definition.” The Trinity is the most fundamental Christian doctrine. Very few orthodox Christians who understand their faith would consider Mormons to be Christians. In fact, this even goes beyond just Mormon non-belief in the Trinity, I mean, Mormonism also proclaim God as a man who has his own goddess wife! Mormonism proclaims there are other gods that exist in the universe and that we too can become gods as well! Mormons openly admit to the worship of 3 gods! This, to most Christians, is utter blasphemy! Please, I don’t mean that in an offensive way, I am just trying to inform you.

Anyway, the Catholic Church does not consider any non-Trinitarian sect to be Christian. That includes Mormons, Jehovah Witness’s, Christadelphians, Chrisian Scientist, Oneness Pentecostals, Socinians, and any Unitarian sect.

And yes, it is the gospel of Jesus Christ.

“Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit” - Matthew 28:19

“Let this mind be in you which was also in Christ Jesus, who, being in the form of God, did not consider it robbery to be equal with God, but made Himself of no reputation, taking the form of a bondservant, and coming in the likeness of men. And being found in appearance as a man, He humbled Himself and became obedient to the point of death, even the death of the cross. Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name, that at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those on earth, and of those under the earth, and that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father.” - Philippians 2:6-11

In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was in the beginning with God. All things were made through Him, and without Him nothing was made that was made. In Him was life, and the life was the light of men. And the light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it. There was a man sent from God, whose name was John. This man came for a witness, to bear witness of the Light, that all through him might believe. He was not that Light, but was sent to bear witness of that Light. That was the true Light which gives light to every man coming into the world. He was in the world, and the world was made through Him, and the world did not know Him. He came to His own, and His own did not receive Him. But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God, to those who believe in His name: who were born, not of blood, nor of the will of the flesh, nor of the will of man, but of God. And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth. (John testified concerning him. He cried out, saying, ‘This is the one I spoke about when I said, ‘He who comes after me has surpassed me because he was before me.’’) Out of his fullness we have all received grace in place of grace already given. For the law was given through Moses; grace and truth came through Jesus Christ. No one has seen God at any time. The only Son, who is at the Father’s side, has made him known.” - John 1:1-18

Yes, but Mormons do not center their life around Jesus, they center their life around Joseph Smith. If you centered yourself around Christ and his teachings, you’d acknowledge him as God the Son.

All in all, Mormons worship different deities than Christians do. Elohim has nothing to do with Christianity, he is a foreign god that was made up by Joseph Smith. He has nothing to do with Christianity, but every thing to do with Mormonism. How can Mormons be Christians when they worship non-Christian gods?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.