Why do Mormons evangelize in the manner that they do?

From Journal of Discourses:

How long is that race to endure the dreadful curse that is upon them? That curse will remain upon them, and they never can hold the Priesthood or share in it until all the other descendants of Adam have received the promises and enjoyed the blessings of the Priesthood and the keys thereof. Until the last ones of the residue of Adam’s children are brought up to that favourable position, the children of Cain cannot receive the first ordinances of the Priesthood. They were the first that were cursed, and they will be the last from whom the curse will be removed. When the residue of the family of Adam come up and receive their blessings, then the curse will be removed from the seed of Cain, and they will receive blessings in like proportion.

Nothing to do with race?

How are the missionaries assaulting anyone? If someone is not interested, that is the end of it. Catholicism expects folks like me to return to the church and those who have not converted at all needs to do just that because Catholicism exists.

What was Joseph allegedly told about which Church to join and why?

Do you believe that the Catholic Church is an abomination in God’s sight?

Do you believe that it’s leaders are all corrupt?

Do you believe that Catholics priests draw near to God with their lips, but their hearts are far from Him, that they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof?

He was told not to join any of the churches at the time, including Catholicism. The reason was the churches had some of the characteristics of the Church of Jesus Christ, unfortunately no church was the church authorized by Jesus Christ.

I personally have issues beyond the fact that Catholicism does not meet the characteristics of the true church.

It you are speaking of Catholicism, its leaders comes to its conclusion about its doctrine through councils/etc not revelation from God.

I believe that priests made the choice to be such — not called as Jesus Christ called his apostles — they did not call themselves to the apostleship. I guess they preach what they are told to preach.

I presume they do it that way because it works. The Mormons are very pleasant and will occasionally do a good deed for somebody like help clean up a yard or something. Sometimes they send out the guys in threes and I understand some young women now go on their own missions separate from the men.

Why don’t you just say you don’t care to answer my questions?

What you said:

“He was told not to join any of the churches at the time, including Catholicism. The reason was the churches had some of the characteristics of the Church of Jesus Christ, unfortunately no church was the church authorized by Jesus Christ.”

What Joseph Smith said:

“I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: “they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.”

Typical Mormon skirting the truth

I just put in my words ---- I am happy you went to lds.org It is says it all ---- if the Catholic church was what if professes, then I submit that Joseph Smith would have been told to join it as the answer to his prayer.

Like Blacks and the priesthood which came through “negative revelation”? They said, OK God, this is what we are going to do unless you tell us not to. And thus came the decision to give the priesthood to Blacks. Because God said nothing.

My guess is that you’re going to simply ignore my last several posts because you have been conditioned in the LDS cult mindset to just dismiss anything that conflicts with what you’re told to believe.

I hope you prove me wrong.

You are wrong and ignorant. How dare you come to the view you have — you can believe whatever you want.

You are afraid of the truth. I post quotes from LDS sources and you can’t handle it.

I can the handle the truth revealed by the Holy Ghost. If the LDS sources are accurate, I am fine with them. – I ignore the continued efforts by folks such as yourself who enjoys attacking my church.

They proselytise.

Once again, you have tens of thousands of missionaries throughout the world who “enjoy” attacking my church every day. But it’s different if I point out the problems with your church.

I didn’t say it was. An affair is when Joseph Smith was making a “transaction” with Fanny Alger in the barn. That’s why Oliver Cowdery called it “a dirty, nasty, filthy affair.”

Okay, so let’s talk a little bit more about polygamy from your standard works.

Jacob 2:

23 But the word of God burdens me because of your grosser crimes. For behold, thus saith the Lord: This people begin to wax in iniquity; they understand not the scriptures, for they seek to excuse themselves in committing whoredoms, because of the things which were written concerning David, and Solomon his son.

24 Behold, David and Solomon truly had many wives and concubines, which thing was abominable before me, saith the Lord.

25 Wherefore, thus saith the Lord, I have led this people forth out of the land of Jerusalem, by the power of mine arm, that I might raise up unto me a righteous branch from the fruit of the loins of Joseph.

26 Wherefore, I the Lord God will not suffer that this people shall do like unto them of old.

D&C 101:4 (1935):

Inasmuch as this Church of Christ has been reproached with the crime of fornication and polygamy, we declare that we believe that one man should have one wife, and one woman but one husband, except in the case of death, when either is at liberty to marry again.

D&C 132:

38 David also received many wives and concubines, and also Solomon and Moses my servants, as also many others of my servants, from the beginning of creation until this time; and in nothing did they sin save in those things which they received not of me.

39David’s wives and concubines were given unto him of me, by the hand of Nathan, my servant, and others of the prophets who had the keys of this power; and in none of these things did he sin against me save in the case of Uriah and his wife; and, therefore he hath fallen from his exaltation, and received his portion; and he shall not inherit them out of the world, for I gave them unto another, saith the Lord.

Explain what missionaries say that attacks your church.

Your problem is you do not want to hear or believe that any other church is the true church of Jesus Christ because Catholicism exists, has been around longer, etc.

I’ve already done it . . . twice. And you still have not replied.

More on my ignorance about polygamy.

D&C 132:

61 And again, as pertaining to the law of the priesthood—if any man espouse a virgin, and desire to espouse another, and the first give her consent, and if he espouse the second, and they are virgins, and have vowed to no other man, then is he justified; he cannot commit adultery for they are given unto him; for he cannot commit adultery with that that belongeth unto him and to no one else.

Please explain if this is wrong. God says that there are three requirements pertaining to the law of the priesthood:

1. The first wife give her consent.
  2. The plural wife is a virgin.
  3. The plural wife is not vowed to another man.

So, did Emma give her consent? The answer from your own apologists is a clear “NO”. Emma didn’t even know about most of them.

Were his plural wives virgins? Certainly, in the case of his 11-14 polyandrous wives, the answer is a clear “NO”.

Were his plural wives not vowed to another man? Does this even need an answer? It’s clearly “NO”.

Egyptologists are now your enemies just because they have opinions based on their skills and education that all confirm that the papyri that Joseph Smith translated were nothing more than common funerary texts?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.