Why do Mormons evangelize in the manner that they do?

What reply do you want? That Catholicism is true and how dare I question it because it exists.

My guess is your hatred for my church and it effort to bring the truth to those seeking for it ---- just because Catholicism exists, folks must convert to it or in my case return to it.

I don’t even know what that means. Hundreds of your leaders in the early Utah church continued to marry and practice polygamy for years after the Manifesto. Ever heard of John Taylor? Why did he live out the last years of his life as a fugitive of the law? Or are you saying that he did not?

I have asked you twice about Joseph Smith’s answer about which church to join and you have ignored me. I asked if you agreed with God’s answer and you ignored me. I’m not going to ask again. I already got my answer.

Your comments about my feelings about the Catholic church are curious at best.

Who said anything about a salary? Are you putting words in my mouth? And your paid ministry extends beyond general authorities.

Odd that a Catholic discussion board would cause one so much angst. I’d propose a solution, but nay, it may be perceived as uncharitable.

There are too many examples. I’ll just give you two to show you that this is not false nonsense.

1 Nephi 11:18 (1830 Edition)

"And he said unto me, Behold, the virgin which thou seest, is the mother of God, after the manner of the flesh

1 Nephi 11:18 (1981 Edition)

“And he said unto me: Behold, the virgin whom thou seest is the mother of the Son of God, after the manner of the flesh.”

1 Nephi 13:40 (1830)

" . . . and shall make known to all kindreds, tongues, and people, that the Lamb of God is the Eternal Father and the Savior of the world . . . "

1 Nephi 13:40 (1981)

" . . . and shall make known to all kindreds, tongues, and people that the Lamb of God is the Son of the Eternal Father, and the Savior of the World . . . "

Doctrinal changes . . .

Uh huh. Does the Church openly teach its investigators about the magic rock put in a hat?

I have answered your reply — you do not like the answer.

That is your choice and unfortunate.

Again, if Catholicism was what it professes, then Joseph Smith would have been told to become a Catholic as a answer to his prayer.

As a Latter Day Saint, I have confirmation that it is true. Agreement has nothing to do with it.

That answer presumes that Joseph Smith even had such a vision, which he clearly did not.

The vision happened.

Bottom line, if it had not occurred, my church would not exist and he would have been told to join the true church of Jesus Christ, if it existed on the earth at the time.

I know that’s what you have to say. I get it. I really do.

I think of it as hardening soft metal into steel

Their goal is to make good/strong/committed future members out of the missionaries. They have a support structure in place while they are being tested daily in their beliefs and living a very simple life. It also gets them out to see other LDS communities in operation. I think if their main goal was to be effective salespeople for the church, they would have different tactics.

Their conversion rate of new members per missionary is extremely low, conversion is not the purpose.

Thanks for your insight in answer to the topic. :+1:

Based on my own experiences with Mormons in person and online, the answer to all of the above is a resounding “No.”

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.