Why do muslims rock back and forth

while reading the koran? Are they making many little bows or is it just for circulation while sitting and reading for so long?

Anyone know?

Probably to help focus their prayers and to symbolize praying with all their being. Same reason Jews do it.

You beat me to it. The rhythmic motion also helps you memorize the prayers or Scriptures.

Jewish people also rock back and forth if you look at pictures of rabbis at the wailing wall. I guess it’s a Middle Eastern custom.

Hi all!

Proverbs 20:27 says, “The soul of man is the candle of the Lord.”

(Orthodox) Jews (myself included) have the habit of swaying/rocking the body during prayer (both seated & standing). This has been documented since ancient times. In the Zohar (which is one of the main texts of Kabbalah, see tinyurl.com/6ydnt, scroll down to the section entitled “Jewish mysticism”), Rabbi Yossi asks Rabbi Abba: “Why is it that among all nations the Jews alone have the habit of swaying the body when they study the Torah?” Rabbi Abba answers: “It illustrates the excellence of their souls. Proverbs 20:27 refers to them: 'The soul of man is the candle of the Lord ’ The light of that candle flickers and wavers in unison with the light of the Torah.” (I’ve culled some of the above from The Jewish Encyclopedia.)

As per the foregoing, our swaying bodies, while we are at prayer, are like the dancing & flickering flame because, “The soul of man is the candle of the Lord.”

Be well!

ssv :wave:

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.