Why do Muslims use the word PBUH

I hear almost all muslims use the word PBUH everytime they use the names of their prophets. Why is it so?

It is short for peace be upon him.

They are commanded by mohamad in the hadiths to always give peace & blessings to him when they mention his name

They do this to other prophets as well.

Abraham and the Angels
"and they say “peace be upon you” and he said “peace be upon you”

John the Baptist
"peace was upon him on the day he was born and on the day of his death and on the day of his resurrection"

Jesus
"and peace is upon me on the day I was born and on the day of my death and on the day of my resurrection"

Noah, Elijah , Moses , Aaron
"peace be upon Noah" , “peace be upon Elijah” , " peace be upon Moses and Aron"

Hadi: Does it offend you (or other Muslims alike) when non-Muslims don’t use the PBUH convention after mentioning a prophet’s name?

I ask due a World Religions course I took as an undergrad as well as general experience talking with Muslims. My instructor of the course was a Muslim and not only did she use this convention for the prophets (even when the particular religion being studied was not Islam) but she insisted that us students follow the convention as well. I did my best to, but often forgot and would be hastily castigated for not following it. She even insisted that the convention be used in our papers, which quite frankly seems rather unprofessional from a scholarly perspective. It’s as immature as insisting that everyone in the class use the Christian convention for dating (BC vs. AD).

Because they don’t know how to spell the sound known as a raspberry or Bronx cheer, usually represented in English as “pbltx”

No, you don’t have to say it …and it doesn’t offend me…but try to say “The Prophet X” instead of just “X” …

In all honesty Hadi I couldn’t bring myself in good conscience to say that when discussing Mohammed as I don’t view him as a prophet and for those who don’t believe he was to refer to him as one would be dishonest.

The instructors behaviour in this example strikes me as distinctly unprofessional and I would absolutely refuse to say PBUH merely to please her.

And what if I don’t believe X to be a prophet? Am I to believe that when you talk about the founder of Mormonism you refer to him as “The Prophet Joseph Smith”, the founder of the Seventh-day Adventists as “The Prophet Ellen G. White” and the founder of the Christian Church, Scientist as “The Prophet Mary Baker Eddy”?

you don’t have to say “the prophet” either…It was only a suggestion for you to say when you talk to your professor.

in this forum,feel free to say “Mohammed” which is what most non-Muslims here say.

during his life time , most polytheists called him “O Mohammed” and he and his companions didn’t object that…his companions usually called him “O messenger of God” …without using “PBUH” in that phrase

Oh I understand now. Thank you.

In any case, the class is long over. I took it some three years ago as a general education requirement. That particular professor is no longer employed by the University of California.

I could not agree with you any more

And now you know where we get the expression the Grand Poobah.

Hahaha. What? That’s not true. I was just reading over the weekend about that term and apparently it comes from a character in Gilbert and Sullivan’s “The Mikado” (1885).

Did Fred Flintstone ever become the Grand Phoobah of his lodge?

Hadi,

Are the verses you mentioned above all from Quran? My question was actually I need to know why this PBUH word is used, what is its significance?

As to what I feel, all the Prophets were used by God to pass on messages, that means He did speak to them, so that makes them holy and as holy, they must be enjoying all the glories of Heaven, so why this Peace? Well if it was Pray for us, than I would have understood. eg Prophet Muhammed PFU

Can you please explain?

PBUH is an acronym for “Peace Be Upon Him”. I have never heard it pronounced as a word. How would it sound?

Dear geometer, yes I do know it means Peace be with you and they also use its arabic equivalent ie SAW, which also means Peace be with You. My asking was why Peace for the prophets? Wouldnt ie have been better if it was Pray for us, as we are sinnners and we need their blessings and prayers, and not the other way round. :slight_smile:

No that would be the pagan way. Middle eastern religions bless God, instead of begging for Gods blessing.

Some families, after praying the Rosary together, add prayer intentions and may, for example, say an Our Father “in honour of St. Joseph” or another saint to whom the family or one of its members has a devotion. Or sometimes people will have Masses said in honour of a beloved patron saint. I am sure the saints are delighted, and the honour reverts to God. “Peace” in PBUH, I assume, means – as so often used in the Bible – blessing, reward, fulfilment in a comprehensive sense.

I strongly take issue with those who made uncalled-for comments about “the raspberry” or “the grand Poobah”. The prophets of the Quran and the Bible are deceased. Since when do Catholics disdain to wish peace upon the dead?

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.