Why do other religins teach things against Catholics

I have a good friend, not Catholic, and he used to always question me about the ways of the Catholic Church. He stated that at his Wednesday night prayer meetings they were telling him that Catholics were not Christians, we pray to Mary and not directly to God. He made a big deal over weather Catholic was capitalized or not. Which I never really understood. I answered his questions the best I could. He seems satisfied for now. Why would a religious church bash the Catholics? He was not just interested in why. He and the teachings of his church were of disapproval and he made me feel they disapproved and were wrong in what we do. I know we all have at one time or another been questioned by non Catholics but this seemed like they were teaching him to go against us. Why?
Thank you all for your comments. God Bless

They feel a threat to their legitimacy. So this is insecurity manifested. You must understand these people are displaying a personal problem. The root of the issue at hand is the “Catholic Church” was the “Church of Christ” or the “Church” (formal nouns). So the “xxxxxxx Church” must either be rooted from “Catholic” and thus Christian or non-Christian. Some people can not accept this so they try to rewrite history. One common version is to rewrite “church” (nonspecific) and “catholic church”(universal group of Christians) this allows them to say the “xxxxxx Church” dates back to the beginning with no link to the “Catholic Church”. In general it is wishful thinking. Another common option is sola scriptura - (only scripture) but again their bible mostly came from the “Catholic Church” except the Jew’s section of the Old Testament. So again they look for ways to deny their own history. Try to understand their problem (insecurity) gets worse when they review the facts- so be patient with them.

What Texas Roofer wrote is true of some Protestants and their particular church, most Protestants, especially Evangelicals, really know next to nothing about the origins of their own church and just accept whatever they are told by their leadership. So, it is simple ignorance on their part, plus a willingness to just go along with whatever they’re told. Many Evangelicals view religion and faith through their feelings more than through facts, and the only facts they accept are those of their particular church group, so it is a cycle that is hard to break. No one, non-Catholic or Catholic ought to be content to just accept whatever he is told, but know what his church teaches, why it teaches what it does, and how it fits into the whole of human history (at least enough to know what is true and what isn’t).

Some of it can get pretty nasty. Some of them even think we are devil worshippers. I find it appalling that one Christian group can spread such outright lies and half truths about another. But it just proves just how insecure some of these denominations can be.

IF your group has to lie about another’s faith to make yours look better, you’re on pretty shakey ground to begin with.

I am a Protestant believer who is considering conversion to the Catholic Church…

I, for one, will refute their arguments by saying this…

Christ said to the religious leaders of the Jews, when they detested Him because they thought that He was doing what He was doing through the power of Beelzebub (Satan), that a kingdom divided among itself cannot stand…

How can it be that God’s Church be divided (not in denominations, but by arguments of superiority, stubborness, hatred, or even differences in doctrine) and continue to strive for the works which He commissioned us to do through Christ our Lord? Not to say, the Church is divided when we look at other denominations as being inferior to another.

Hint: From my research, only a few Catholics WORSHIP Mary and the Saints… but even that is wrong… Catholics PRAY THROUGH Mary and the Saints, as in intercession (as I would ask one of you to pray), and give all the glory and honor to the Triune Godhead.

Peace be with you,
Brian

To add to what the others said, I’ll talk a bit about my experiences with fundamentalists.

I made a friend who was a fundie a couple years ago and decided to start attending his church group. As the months went by, every time I was among them, it seemed, someone would express some anti-Catholic sentiment or other. The “standard stuff” that is just pure cluelessness repeated ad infinitum in their close circles:

• Catholics are “pagan” as they “worship” the saints.
  • Catholics cannot be saved as they believe “works will save them”.
  • Catholicism started with the Bible but drifted from it over time, “adding” all kinds of nonsensical teachings like purgatory, the eucharist, Mary etc.

When this first started I wasn’t as well-educated a Catholic as I could have been, and in fact they were a great motivator for me. I started devouring books by Scott Hahn, Karl Keating, and others, and learning how cool our faith is and just how overwhelming the evidence is that all Protestant objections are baseless and that the Catholic Church is definitely the Church founded by Christ.

During this process, I discovered that all these Catholic bashers had no interest AT ALL in real debate. As soon as a myth was dispelled or true Catholic teaching given, conversation over. I mean, it was quite remarkable. I began to see that these people were quite willing to run and hide from Truth when it threatened their worldview - which included the notion that they were the “true” Christians and everyone else either mistaken or hellbound.

So, basically, it’s ignorance, prejudice, and defensiveness. It took me awhile to really see that last one, but then I realized that the reason they bash the Catholic Church so much is that they do have something to be “afraid” of (that they’re wrong). It’s very silly, as anyone can become Catholic.

The whole situation is simply sad. Look at how Christ’s kingdom is divided. Most of these people are good Christians full of sincere love of Christ. They have weaknesses and have been led astray to some extent, yes, and it’s unfortunate so many are unwilling to listen to anything that contradicts what they believe in.

I too speak as one on the verge of conversion. Although I was raised Lutheran, the anti-Catholic sentiment that is so rampant in Protestant Christianity (non-denominational expecially) was never a part of my upbringing. However, sadly, this is not the case for so many other Protestants. I think the well-known quote applies: Not many genuinely hate the Catholic Church, but they hate what the mistakenly believe the Church to be (paraphrased of course). Anti-Catholicism is ingrained in so many Protestants as part of their upbringing. Just as Church doctrine, etc. is taught and accepted by cradle Catholics from their youth, so too is the anti-Catholic sentiment we are discussing here. And, to be “fair” to those Protestants who are taught this, it did not occur out of nowhere. Mistakes and injustices perpetrated by the Catholic Church and their clergy in the past have certainly not helped things…

2 Timothy 4–3: for the time is coming when people will not endure sound teaching, but having itching ears they will accumulate for themselves teachers to suit their own likings, and will turn away from listening to the truth and wander into myths.

I agree. I recently watched on HOPE( a “christian” network, dunno the denomination though) an “investigative” show on cracking down “biblically” the identity of the anti-christ. I was so shocked when the resulting image on their “educational” LCD was St.Peter’s Basillica! They think and teach we’re the anti-Christ! And through the days they began talks on this very disturbing teaching of theirs… Some talks even show joy of having brothers and sisters who have “seen the light of the true word” and left “Mariolatry” or “Romanism”… As if branding the Catholic church as something of the devil was a part of their very doctrine… It was very disappointing. :mad:

Alot of churches define their doctrine by what they see as wrong with other churches. Some way to define it huh? Anyway, since essentially all christian religions are broken away from Catholics, this makes Catholicism a major target. I always think it is sad when any group defines themselves by what they hate or what they find wrong rather than a profound love for what they do believe.

Why in the world do you think they call themselves
PROTESTANTS!
Their very identity hinges on differentiating themselves from Catholics.

Here’s a response that most who have posted thus far have not taken into consideration: your friend was sincerely concerned for your soul. He truly cares enough about you to engage you in a discussion about what is true and what might possibly be false. All religious beliefs, sadly, do not lead to heaven, no matter how sincerely they are embraced. Many Protestants believe–rightly or wrongly–that Roman Catholicism is severely flawed either in it’s fundamental theology or in how that theology is popularly taught, practiced, and understood.

The biggest concern that Protestants usually have is that Roman Catholics tend on-balance to believe they are saved by good works, without ever coming to a real relationship with God through Jesus Christ. (This is not ‘official’ teaching but is certainly the way a lot of Roman Catholics I encounter believe and articulate). Secondary concerns issues about the veneration of saints–particularly the Virgin Mary, an excessive stress on trust in a Church rather than in Christ as revealed in the Bible, and what many Protestants see as a very bizarre concept of the presence of Christ in the Mass and in the Holy Eucharist. A few Protestants believe that the Roman Catholic Church is in outright apostasy from the Christian faith and that the Pope is the anti-Christ (or similar views). This is rather extreme, but it is NOT unheard of. Just remember that Protestants have real differences with Roman Catholicism–or we would all be part of the same Church.

It is a good thing that you were able to offer some satisfactory answers to your friend. You might consider using this experience to help deepen your understanding and appreciation of Jesus Christ and your Catholic faith. Somewhere on the Catholic Answers website is a list of books recommended for Catholic Christians to read. See if someone can hunt that list up for you–it won’t hurt to do a little reading.

AMEN!! Well put and I agree 100%:smiley: :thumbsup:

Because Catholics and Protestants have differing viewpoints on God, the Bible, Salvation and other theological matters. For the most part, Catholics believe that Protestants are in error regarding the matters where we differ and, for the most part, Protestants believe Catholics are in error on the same issues.

Their religion can only be true if Catholicism is false. The continued existence of the Catholic Church stands in silent judgement of their abandonment of her. So the Church must be proven false, generation after generation.

Here’s another point to consider:

Most fundamentalists are committed to a dispensationalist eschatology, and they believe that the End of the Age is upon us. They think that the end of this age (as of every dispensation) will be characterized by a massive apostasy, which they see happening all around them. They believe that Antichrist will form a “one world religion” of which Catholicism will be an intrinsic part (this is not the same view as the historic Protestant belief that the Papacy is Antichrist, though obviously the one grew out of the other). So they see Catholicism as their greatest enemy. Furthermore, because Catholicism is the greatest ostensible defender of Christian orthodoxy, they see it as a particularly subtle threat. As more moderate evangelicals soften their position and realize more and more clearly that Catholics share the same essential beliefs (this is a statement from a Protestant point of view and doesn’t necessarily work vice versa), fundamentalists become more and more concerned about the need to police the boundaries and protect people from “deception.”

However, it’s easy for Catholics to think they’re being more singled out than they are. Catholics are fundamentalists’ No. 1 target (on the whole), but there are a lot of runners-up–liberal Protestants, charismatics, the U.N., the New Age Movement, psychology. . . and, of course, groups we would all consider heretical such as the JWs and the Mormons. Fundamenalists live in a continual state of siege. That’s one of the reasons I’m so saddened when I see Catholics give in to the same mentality. I recognize that if you live in certain parts of the country, it’s hard not to.

Edwin

It depends what one means by “Christian”.

If it is treated as a synonym for “Evangelical Protestant” - we are not Christians in that sense

Is the CC supposed to be Evangelical ? That’s a harder question. If Evangelical = affirming the distinctives of the Protestant Reformation, we can’t affirm (say) “salvation by grace alone” in a sense which excludes the sacraments; we can affirm salvation by grace alone if by that we include the sacraments.

If Christian = Campbellite - we are not Campbellites

If Christian = behaving in a Christian manner - this is tricky too; because for many people, Christian behaviour involves (say) being teetotal; Catholic moral teaching forbids us to be drunk, but not to avoid all drinking of alcohol.

OTOH, “not being Christian” may be something much broader than this: it may mean “I know several Catholics, and there is nothing about them to show they love the Lord - they don’t show any of the fruits a Christian might be expected to, so if they are typical, that doesn’t say much for the claims of the Catholic Church”.

Only your friend know which - if any - of these he has in mind. I suggest you ask him :slight_smile: ##

we pray to Mary and not directly to God.

This is true - or untrue, depending what you mean by it.

There is a long tradition in Catholic piety of approaching Mary instead of Christ, because she is holy, we are unholy, and Jesus is too Holy for us to presume to come before Him - so we must go through Mary instead. This is the kind of approach to Him that St. Louis de Montfort encourages in his book “True Devotion to Mary”.

An Evangelical Protestant would counter this by pointing out that the NT teaches us to come to the Father through Christ; that we are justified freely by the grace of Christ; that He is our Righteousness - & that in consequence, it doesn’t matter two hoots that we are sinners; that it is true we are sinners, but that to make this an obstacle to our going to Christ is to miss the point. And the Protestant would be correct. If we had to go to the Holy Redeemer through a holy creature, He would not have come to us dead & unclean sinners. But He has - which is how we are of one Spirit with Him. ##

He made a big deal over weather Catholic was capitalized or not.Which I never really understood.

So ask him why :slight_smile: - not us :slight_smile:

I answered his questions the best I could. He seems satisfied for now. Why would a religious church bash the Catholics?

Probably for many of the reasons Catholics bash Protestants.

What is bashing though ? To say “Papists are Fenian scum” (as might be said in some parts of the UK) is bashing; to say “I cannot accept your Church’s doctrine because…” - is not bashing, but principled disagreement. ##

He was not just interested in why. He and the teachings of his church were of disapproval and he made me feel they disapproved and were wrong in what we do.

I don’t think we can complain of this, since this is precisely what we do. They object to devotion to Mary - we object to their having a 66-book Bible. They distrust the political power of Catholicism - we distrust the tendency of Protestant churches to separate like amoeba. And so on.

I know we all have at one time or another been questioned by non Catholics but this seemed like they were teaching him to go against us. Why?
Thank you all for your comments. God Bless

I hope that helps :slight_smile:

veneration of Mary and bizare belief in the presence of Christ in the Mass

We quite rightly revere the womb which carried God and gave Him flesh. have never met anyone who worships the Virgin Mary. We honour her for that great commission she was chosen to do,

Teachings such as JW’s who profess that Mary had 10-children . History and tradition tells us that before she came under the protectorate of Joseph, she was a CONSECRATED VIRGIN. Had voluntarily CHOSEN a life of celibacy. Why would she later rescind it?

In all her aparitions [Fatima, Lourdes, Knock etc etc] She urges humanity to renounce their sins, and turn to her Son. That is her consistent message. If the apparitions were of satan [as some protestants allege] then why is satan so keen that humanity follows Christ?

We do not worship the Saints. We worship God alone. Some Saints are also revered because of the revelations that God has made to them for us.

I have for example a photograph of Padre Pio. Some would call it bizare, idolatrous and unChristian. But if it was a picture of the man next door, that would be ok?? Who is really bizare in their thinking!!

Of the Real Presence at Mass. I have had many experiences and mystical encounters of my Risen Lord as a result.

Is Jesus really present in the Holy Eucharist? Scripture quotes Him as saying I am the true vine’ Is He saying He is a plant? Of course not. He does not intend us to take HIm literally.

But when He told His followers that He was ‘the true bread which came down from heaven’, some stopped following Him. He could have said ‘hey you guys, look I didn’t mean it literally’. No, the very opposite, He told them ‘unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood, you wll not have life in you’.

This led to a fierce debate among the Jews who said 'how can this man give us His flesh to eat and His blood to drink? Jesus replied 'In truth, in very truth, 'unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink His blood you can have no life in you. ‘Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood posseses eternal life’ Jn 6 52-53.‘My flesh is real food and my blood real drink’. ‘Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood, dwells in my and I in him’. Jn 6 55

The Lord took His preaching ministry very seriously. He would not have let those slip away without good reason. If He did not intend to be taken literally, He would have said so. He did not. He let them go rather than change one iota of His teaching.

St Paul took the Sacred Meal very seriously. He instructed believers to ensure they did not approach the table and partake in the sacred meal unless they were worthy 'he that eats and drinks unworthily eats and drinks judgment to himself 1Cor 11 29. Why would they if they were merely eating bread? WHY DID ST PAUL TAKE IT SO SERIOUSLY?

Likewise I have been asked why I confess my sins to a mortal man and not to God alone. But, the Lord told us to confess our sins to one another. In particular He instituted it in Jn 20:23 ‘Whose sins you forgive they are forgiven’.

I often find in my own life difficulty in some areas. No matter how hard I try, I just keep on committing the same old sins. It’s as if I am powerless over them. When I have received the healing of the Roman Confessional, I am empowered to resist future occasions of that same weakeness. What was difficult to resist before, after the healing ministry of the confessional, is easy to resist, I am empowered. From where does this empowerment come?

Confession is also my opportunity to humble myself before God and His holy Church by publicly pronouncing myself as a sinner and asking Christ for His forgiveness. I cannot explain to a non-Catholic how powerful the healing is.

It is also my opportunity to reflect on my sinfulness, to realise the great sacrifce paid for my weakness, to become remorseful and determined never to offend God in that particular way again, and to try to resist all occasions of sinfulness. I believe it is right and proper that we should have a hearty sorrow for our sins, even the most trivial.

The Holy Rosary. Most no n-Catholics have not a clue what is going on. It is a form of meditation which brings us very close to the events of Our Blessed Lords Life and mission. I have had some incredible personal insights and revelations that would not have happened by any other means.It is not like reading or listening to a minister preach, it is about ‘getting caught up in the event and being there’. I fail to see how this is called satan’s beads when the focus is on Our Lord as our Saviour.

I do not have a problem with anyone disagreeing with what I do and what I believe. It matters to me not. It does hurt when I hear the Church that Christ founded and His bride being called ‘a whore’ and I am sure it grieves Him also.

:eek:

GREAT EXPLANATION!!

Wow, now see people… this is what you call having personal proof! :thumbsup:

Peace be with you,
Brian

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.