Why do people ask Mary to Pray for them?

I think you are referring to patron saints…

Revelation 14:13
13 And I heard a voice from heaven saying, “Write this: Blessed are the dead who die in the Lord henceforth.” “Blessed indeed,” says the Spirit, “that they may rest from their labors, for their deeds follow them!”

How Patron Saints Are Chosen
Thus, the patron saints of churches, and more broadly of regions and countries, have generally been chosen because of some connection of that saint to that place—he had preached the Gospel there; he had died there; some or all of his relics had been transferred there. As Christianity spread to areas with few martyrs or canonized saints, it became common to dedicate a church to a saint whose relics were placed in it or who was especially venerated by the founders of the church. Thus, in the United States, immigrants often chose as patrons the saints that had been venerated in their native lands.

Patron Saints for Occupations
As the Catholic Encyclopedia notes, by the Middle Ages, the practice of adopting patron saints had spread beyond churches to “the ordinary interests of life, his health, and family, trade, maladies, and perils, his death, his city and country. The whole social life of the Catholic world before the Reformation was animated with the idea of protection from the citizens of heaven.” Thus, Saint Joseph became the patron saint of carpenters; Saint Cecilia, of musicians; etc. Saints were usually chosen as patrons of occupations that they had actually held or that they had patronized during their lives.

@Pathway2 My husband is in the hospital. Will you pray for him?

Have you ever gone over to a friend’s house or to your grandmother’s house, sat down with her and looked at the family photo album or home movies? To see your friend or your parent when they were a child, hear their mom tell you about events in their life.

The Rosary is sitting on the sofa with Mary as you remember events, both happy and sad events, in the life of your brother & friend, Jesus Christ.

“They have no wine.”

“Woman, my time is not yet come.”

“Do whatever he says.”

yes, I acknowledge why you ask to saints as they are alive and are in Heaven; it is far from Idolatrous , I was wondering that why would I need to ask other saints to pray for me and how come I couldn’t just do it towards God on my own?

Jesus could be stern.

http://biblehub.com/luke/8-45.htm

http://biblehub.com/matthew/9-21.htm

Mary just made it right.

Scripture commands us to pray one for another.

could you tell me why he is in hospital? I want to know which saint I should ask then to them to prayer to God

His heart. Thank you :slight_smile:

so, by asking them to pray for me, what would happen?

This story in scripture is proof that we can trust Mary with our prayers. She is the mediator between us and Jesus.

I have faith that God hears your prayers and that my husband will be comforted in his time of illness.

Have you ever been a kid and you wanted something from dad but mom was around so you asked her

All prayers do go to God. And He answers them. But sometimes it helps when others ask on our behalf; Mary and the other saints will do that.
If we are asked to pray for someone’s need in our daily routines, it is likely we’ll say yes. Additional prayers are always needed.

So how does it affects the LORD’s Prayer?

thank you very much I had realised, sorry

what does it mean by help in question?

it was asking as asking to the saints to help. what does it mean by help, isn’t God all powerful?

You can ask St. Luke, evangelist and patron of physicians.

(It is better for privacy purposes not to ask for information regarding the sick that was not already volunteered, but if you must, I advise you send a PM rather than ask in public.)

God’s all powerful for sure; and only He can answer prayer. But he answers through other people as well. You know when someone asks you to pray for them. Then you do. You are interceding for the person who asked you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.