Why do people of the church not take the Holy Eucharist mouth only?

This post was flagged by the community and is temporarily hidden.

7 Likes

I prefer by far receiving on the tongue. I heard that it was originally an abuse that drifted in from the Protestant churches, and then became so widespread that it was officially accepted as licit.

4 Likes

In the Byzantine Tradition, both Catholic and non-Catholic, the communicant receives both Species from the Chalice. The priest or deacon distributes Holy Communion with a golden spoon.

You tilt your head back, open your mouth wide so the priest/deacon can drop the Body and Blood of Christ in your mouth without ever touching you.

6 Likes

After the [Second Vatican] Council the practice of receiving Communion in the hand became common in certain parishes in Holland, Belgium, France and Germany. Pope Paul VI commissioned a study on the matter and in 1969 suggested that Bishops’ conferences could petition the Holy See for an indult allowing Communion in the hand in their region.[3] During the 1970’s the Bishops’ Conferences of the following English-speaking countries applied for and received the indult: South Africa, Canada, Rhodesia (Zimbabwe), Zambia, New Zealand, Australia, England and Wales, Papua and New Guinea, Ireland, Pakistan, the United States, Scotland, and Malaysia and Singapore. Similar numbers of other bishops’ conferences obtained indults in their own regions so that today it is virtually universal throughout the Church. (source)

3 Likes

I have rarely seen it dropped. But it is more practical in the hand. Some people hardly open their mouths or stick out their tongue. Do you know how frustrating that can be and more apt to drop?

2 Likes

Two years ago, the priest at the local Roman Catholic church near me put a notice in the parish bulletin stating that the Sacred Hosts were found in the pews (!) AND on the floor (!?!).

The last time I was there for Mass (this was 10+ years ago) the priest dropped the Host while trying to give me Holy Communion on the tongue.

After Mass, I asked one of the people in the sacristy if I could have a purificator so I could purify the area. He said: “Well, we don’t do that anymore ( :scream:), but you can if you want to.” “Yes, I want to.” I tried to do it as best I could.

That’s why I can’t go to daily Mass at that church anymore.

7 Likes

Have never seen that

Ever

It you do a search for receiving on the hand versus the tongue, you will find a multitude of threads on this topic.

1 Like

I’ve seen many children drop the Eucharist.

1 Like

How do you purify where a host fell?

1 Like

I don’t think the Apostles received it on the tongue…

3 Likes

This “ using the hands “has been going on for decades… weird it calls your attention…
I haven t seen even one child drop the Eucharist .

4 Likes

Cannot be that weird as I’ve heard two priests from different Catholic Parishes telling all to take bread via the mouth not hands.

1 Like

Ask any Catholic priest or Bishop and they will tell you the same.

1 Like

I have seen the chalice dropped on the carpet - what a mess! And I have seen people take the host and walk away with it. Once I had enough presence of mind to jump up and tell the young woman she needed to consume the host immediately. She seemed surprised, then consumed it.

5 Likes

There is nothing wrong with communion in the hand. It is widespread in the Church and most Episcopal Conferences have approved it.

6 Likes

They aren t on Summer Vacations… looking at the ceiling…without knowing how else to use their time…

1 Like

JOqipy8

7 Likes

Because it’s allowed by the Church to receive in the hand, some of us have been receiving that way for about 40 years, and everybody including the priests and EMHCs are used to doing it that way.

It’s not exactly a new practice in USA and some other parts of the world.

My mouth probably contains just as much if not more dirt and germs as my hand.

5 Likes

Please try the search button. This topic has been covered exhaustively.

In my parish I have seen the host received on the tongue and reverently in the hand. Standing is common but some kneel. It is allowed both ways so it is not worth aguing over. One person’s preference does not a rule make nor should one judge another’s holiness by which licit manner one receives.

I live in the US. Customs may vary by culture, form, or rite.

5 Likes

Where, geographically, are you attending Mass?
And are you attending a traditionalist parish with Extraordinary Form (EF) Mass?
At EF Masses you receive on the tongue kneeling at the rail, only.

In the USA at the usual Ordinary Form Mass in English, you are permitted to receive either in the hand or on the tongue. You can’t be forced to conform to one way only.

4 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.