Why do people refuse to choose LOVE?

Why do people refuse to choose LOVE? With everybody choosing LOVE, which is the most fundamental human spiritual experience that we are all supernaturally inclined to harvest, the world’s problems would disappear, and we would all be destined for Heaven. But what causes our souls to reject LOVE? My own answer is that it’s the ‘strong spell’ that Satan has us under. Under the ‘good’ spirit, every soul would seek to experience LOVE and thus be saved. :slight_smile:

LOVE! :heart:

Everyone does seek LOVE, but seeking LOVE is not a panacea for the world’s ills. In fact, LOVE is the root of all evil, just as it is the root of all good - the will being only attracted by LOVE. LOVE wrongly pursued leads to sin (e.g. extramarital LOVE). Excessive LOVE is a sin (e.g. gluttony or greed). LOVE perverted to a wrong end leads to sin (e.g. love of providing for one child leading to the killing of another in utero). Heck, LOVE of the “Aryan Race” even lead to the Holocaust!

To paraphrase the Professor from The Lion, The Witch, and the Wardrobe, “It’s all in Aquinas, all in Aquinas, what do they teach in schools these days.”

Pax Christi

Because love leads directly to the cross.

And like Sir Gawain, who would be unable to put his head back on, we cannot recover ourselves when we go to the cross.

ICXC NIKA

What you describe as LOVE, is not. Is that stuff really in Aquinas? Please enlighten me!

People do not know what love really is. As GEddie said, Love leads to the Cross. People don’t want that.

Yes, it’s all in Aquinas. Every act of the will is one motivated by LOVE for an apparent good. LOVE is the motivating factor of all of our actions. Adam and Eve LOVED the idea of eating the fruit, and sin entered the world. The Pharisees LOVED their interpretation of the Law and rejected Christ. Pontius Pilate LOVED serving Caesar and allowed Christ to be crucified. LOVE itself isn’t enough to produce moral acts, it must be correctly directed by reason and it must be correctly proportioned.

BTW, how do you define “LOVE.”

A lot of people confuse love with “feelings” and whilst feelings are the icing on the proverbial cake, there’s a lot more to love than that.

Each defines love according to their own interpretation I think.

The best definition of love I’ve ever read;

◄ 1 Corinthians 13 ►
Douay-Rheims Bible

Love

1IF I speak with the tongues of men, and of angels, and have not charity, I am become as sounding brass, or a tinkling cymbal. 2And if I should have prophecy and should know all mysteries, and all knowledge, and if I should have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, and have not charity, I am nothing. 3And if I should distribute all my goods to feed the poor, and if I should deliver my body to be burned, and have not charity, it profiteth me nothing.

4Charity is patient, is kind: charity envieth not, dealeth not perversely; is not puffed up; 5Is not ambitious, seeketh not her own, is not provoked to anger, thinketh no evil; 6Rejoiceth not in iniquity, but rejoiceth with the truth; 7Beareth all things, believeth all things, hopeth all things, endureth all things.

8Charity never falleth away: whether prophecies shall be made void, or tongues shall cease, or knowledge shall be destroyed. 9For we know in part, and we prophesy in part. 10But when that which is perfect is come, that which is in part shall be done away. 11When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child. But, when I became a man, I put away the things of a child. 12We see now through a glass in a dark manner; but then face to face. Now I know I part; but then I shall know even as I am known. 13And now there remain faith, hope, and charity, these three: but the greatest of these is charity.

“Love is worth loving, when one loves others”

God bless.

It’s motivated by desire not love.

Love is giving, not receiving.

The inordinate desire to possess something for self, is not love.

Your definition of love is incorrect.

You’re treating love and lust as being equal, they are not.

Jim

love /luv/
noun
Fondness
Charity
An affection for something that gives pleasure
Strong liking
Devoted attachment to another person
Sexual attachment
A love affair
The object of affection
A term of address indicating endearment or affection (often spelled luv to represent dialect or informal use)
The god of love, Cupid, Eros, etc (mythology)
A kindness, a favour done (Shakespeare)
The mere pleasure of playing, without stakes
In some games, no score

I say it’s charity, in all its forms, which includes God Himself. Aquinas world probably choose ‘An affection for something that gives pleasure,’ which is definitely not what I had in mind. The biblical use of love has more to do with charity.

In the English Language, we only have one word for the various forms of love.

In Greek, there are four different words which give meaning to the various forms
eros, agape, philia and storge.

Here, are the definitions of the four forms of love.

Jim

And, of course, love can also mean not scoring in tennis :):slight_smile:

ICXC NIKA

:smiley:

Jim

This. ^^^^ Excellent answer. Thank you.

Thanks, Jim! I would say agape, but I see that agape appears to include forms of romantic love. What was the ‘love’ as preached in the scriptures? That’s what I was talking about.

See, now we’ve moved away from your original post, “Why do people refuse to choose LOVE?” with the further implication that “With everybody choosing LOVE… the world’s problems would disappear.”

We now see that, for the world’s problems to disappear, everyone would have to no just “choose LOVE” but choose to love the right objects with the right kind of love in just the right degree. The gluttons love for food is disordered and thus not the kind of love that can cause problems to disappear. But saying that the world’s problems would disappear if everyone loved everything with the right kind of love in the right degree is no more than saying that the problems of the world would cease to exist if there was no sin.

The answer then becomes not a mushy-gushy let’s all LOVE :heart: one another, but “repent and believe in the Gospel” which indeed is the only cure for fallen humanity and the only hope for the world’s problems to disappear.

Yes, a specific form of LOVE, like that espoused in the scriptures. Being on a Catholic forum, I would have thought that people would naturally choose to interpret my post in light of the biblical meaning of love.

But it’s not just a specific form of love, love must be in a specific form and that form must be properly ordered to the object. A person with agape love for ice cream would have a disordered love. Further, the type of love must be in proper proportion to the object. A person who loves father or mother more than Christ (even with the right form of love) sins (cf. Matt 10:37).

Or look to the quote you have at the bottom of every post -

“Anyone who loves their life will lose it, while anyone who hates their life in this world will keep it for eternal life.”
-John 12:25

A perfect example of Disordered LOVE :heart: which cannot save.

In many instances I think this happens because people fail to understand what real love is. It is easy to choose if one believes love is easy. But in reality love is often painful and requires great sacrifice. When that aspect of love becomes a reality we get selfish and try to avoid the inconvenience, sacrifice and suffering involved.

For example: It is easy to give up my plans for the day to help my sister, but what about a stranger? Love requires daily sacrifices that mean we give up who we are, what we are doing, how we might do something and so forth. When it comes down to it, we all have a selfish streak that does not yield to this notion of love all that well.

But my contention is that all this is due to Satan. Without the element of evil (Satan), LOVE would abound everywhere. (In reality, I believe that our world could not even exist without evil!)

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.