Why do priests and ministers work on Sundays?

I was thinking a while back, in connection to my criticism of Eric, the Olympic athlete who would not run on Sunday, is it working on Sunday for a priest, or ministers of most churches confessing to be Christian, to do most Masses/services (respectively) on a Sunday? Would it be better they do it on Saturday and they and everyone rest on Sunday as much as possible? Now, if they enjoy saying Mass, which is the best case scenario, then shouldn’t Eric have just done something he should enjoy on a Sunday, being it was, relatively speaking, just a little sprint? Now, if that running for fun involves others working to host the event or tend to him as prep coaches and such, being a part of their laboring on Sunday would be understandably a conscience bugger.

Work? :rolleyes:
Saying mass is NOT work. Giving Praise Worship and Adoration to GOD is NOT work!

Work is to TOIL for your wordly sustenance.
Is marriage work????

Marriage is a VOCATION

Priesthood is also a vocation.

A priest can work for example as a teacher in a school. THAT, is work :thumbsup:

But ANY activity he discharges as a direct result of his vocation is NOT work

Confessing, visiting the sick, the imprisoned, celebrating mass. This is NOT work.

Hope this clear it up for you

Peace :thumbsup:

I work for a parish as a DRE and yes I have to work on Sundays. So does the receptionist, the sacristan, a maintenance person, the rectory cook, the music directors, and the cantors. There are things that have to be done in a parish on Sundays that need people who are working.

Please remember that as Christians we are not required to observe the Law of Moses.

The Christian rule is "Keep Holy the Lords Day" (Not the Sabbath, which we do Not observe)

Jesus demonstrated this by Teaching, Healing, casting our demons, picking grain and many other activities on the Sabbath.

As catholics we are advised to avoid Servile Work on the Lords day, or other activities which detract from the ability to keep the day as a day dedicated to The Lord, and to Restful activities and Family activities.

However it does not state that this is a rule which it is sinfull to break. - it is a guideline. and in fact has been removed from the current code of cannon Law.

For people with Physical jobs it is essential to health to take a day off each week.

For the Spiritual life it is essential to rest and to Worship God, both in the community and privately, and with your Family.

However, how could we come together to worship if our priests were unwilling to fulfill their duties on The Lords Day? or the other people who keep our church buildings operating on those days?

Remember: "God made the Sabbath for Man, not Man for the Sabbath."

The only requirement in the current code of Cannon Law is that you must attend Mass if one is avaialble, and some other form of corporate (community) worship if the Mass is not possible. (E.G. a Eucharistic Service, or a community celebration of the Divine Office )

Remember the work "Liturgy" derives from a word meaning "Work"

This is a bit misleading…

Etymology:
From Latin liturgia, from Ancient Greek λειτουργία, from λειτ-, from λαός (“people”) + -ουργός, from ἔργον (“work”) (the public work of the people done on behalf of the people).

Which makes a Huge distiction from the toil we need to endure to earn our sustenance “work”

Also I take exception to the first sentence in your response, the “LAW” we are NOT required to keep are the ceremonial and dietary laws of Moses. We ARE however required to OBBEY and KEEP the 10 commandments for Jesus did not remove them.
Those are the CORE and foundation of the LAW of Moses, In fact Jesus came to fulfill it and we are required to follow them to the SPIRIT of them not just the words.

Matthews
Chapter 5

17 Do not think that I have come to loosen the law or the prophets. I have not come to loosen, but to fulfill.
18 Amen I say to you, certainly, until heaven and earth pass away, not one iota, not one dot shall pass away from the law, until all is done.
19 Therefore, whoever will have loosened one of the least of these commandments, and have taught men so, shall be called the least in the kingdom of heaven. But whoever will have done and taught these, such a one shall be called great in the kingdom of heaven. 20 For I say to you, that unless your justice has surpassed that of the scribes and the Pharisees you shall not enter into the kingdom of heaven.
21 You have heard that it was said to the ancients: ‘You shall not murder; whoever will have murdered shall be liable to judgment.’
22 But I say to you, that anyone who becomes angry with his brother shall be liable to judgment. But whoever will have called his brother, ‘Idiot,’ shall be liable to the council. Then, whoever will have called him, ‘Worthless,’ shall be liable to the fires of Hell.
23 Therefore, if you offer your gift at the altar, and there you remember that your brother has something against you,
24 leave your gift there, before the altar, and go first to be reconciled to your brother, and then you may approach and offer your gift.
25 Be reconciled with your adversary quickly, while you are still on the way with him, lest perhaps the adversary may hand you over to the judge, and the judge may hand you over to the officer, and you will be thrown in prison.
26 Amen I say to you, that you shall not go forth from there, until you have repaid the last quarter.
27 You have heard that it was said to the ancients: ‘You shall not commit adultery.’
28 But I say to you, that anyone who will have looked at a woman, so as to lust after her, has already committed adultery with her in his heart.
29 And if your right eye causes you to sin, root it out and cast it away from you. For it is better for you that one of your members perish, than that your whole body be cast into Hell.
30 And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it away from you. For it is better for you that one of your members perish, than that your whole body go into Hell. 31 And it has been said: ‘Whoever would dismiss his wife, let him give her a bill of divorce.’
32 But I say to you, that anyone who will have dismissed his wife, except in the case of fornication, causes her to commit adultery; and whoever will have married her who has been dismissed commits adultery.
33 Again, you have heard that it was said to the ancients: ‘You shall not swear falsely. For you shall repay your oaths to the Lord.’
34 But I say to you, do not swear an oath at all, neither by heaven, for it is the throne of God,
35 nor by earth, for it is his footstool, nor by Jerusalem, for it is the city of the great king. 36 Neither shall you swear an oath by your own head, because you are not able to cause one hair to become white or black.
37 But let your word ‘Yes’ mean ‘Yes,’ and ‘No’ mean ‘No.’ For anything beyond that is of evil.
38 You have heard that it was said: ‘An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth.’
39 But I say to you, do not resist one who is evil, but if anyone will have struck you on your right cheek, offer to him the other also.
40 And anyone who wishes to contend with you in judgment, and to take away your tunic, release to him your cloak also.
41 And whoever will have compelled you for one thousand steps, go with him even for two thousand steps.
42 Whoever asks of you, give to him. And if anyone would borrow from you, do not turn away from him.
43 You have heard that it was said, ‘You shall love your neighbor, and you shall have hatred for your enemy.’
44 But I say to you: Love your enemies. Do good to those who hate you. And pray for those who persecute and slander you.
45 In this way, you shall be sons of your Father, who is in heaven. He causes his sun to rise upon the good and the bad, and he causes it to rain upon the just and the unjust.
46 For if you love those who love you, what reward will you have? Do not even tax collectors behave this way?
47 And if you greet only your brothers, what more have you done? Do not even the pagans behave this way?
48 Therefore, be perfect, even as your heavenly Father is perfect.”

Some were saying the main star of Chariots of Fire was right to not run on a Sunday, even though it was something that should be recreation or, at least, not labor. By that reasoning, I wondered if priests should say Mass on Sunday, even if he likes doing so, or should we have Mass on Saturday and so all not working a position that keeps the nation or patients from falling apart could rest on The Lord's Day. Obviously, helping the weak is great, morally, if it's needed to be done on that day, but saying Mass would be quite an effort. I believe in Church teaching, so I don't come here to agitate people into rebellion on any thing, but we should be able to discuss hard subjects like Vatican 2 and was it really necessary without it being assumed the poster is saying Vatican 2 was, in itself, heretical or null. Sadly, that is not the case with some moderators on CA Forums, because, if we stick our heads in the sand about controversial topics and problems, true heretics will be happy to offer answers.

[quote="foolishmortal, post:6, topic:337138"]
Some were saying the main star of Chariots of Fire was right to not run on a Sunday, even though it was something that should be recreation or, at least, not labor. By that reasoning, I wondered if priests should say Mass on Sunday, even if he likes doing so, or should we have Mass on Saturday and so all not working a position that keeps the nation or patients from falling apart could rest on The Lord's Day. Obviously, helping the weak is great, morally, if it's needed to be done on that day, but saying Mass would be quite an effort. I believe in Church teaching, so I don't come here to agitate people into rebellion on any thing, but we should be able to discuss hard subjects like Vatican 2 and was it really necessary without it being assumed the poster is saying Vatican 2 was, in itself, heretical or null. Sadly, that is not the case with some moderators on CA Forums, because, if we stick our heads in the sand about controversial topics and problems, true heretics will be happy to offer answers.

[/quote]

How saying mass or rather moving the Lord's day to Saturday would fix things?
He would still be breaking the "rule" according to your reasoning.
We are Commanded by Jesus to observe a Day dedicated to offer thanks, praise and worship to GOD.
On this day we attend mass as required by the Church HE instituted.
Further at this mass we participate on the mistery and miracle of the Eucharist.
Without the priest this would not be possible. We do this on Sunday because HE rose from the dead on that day.
The Church has been saying mass and breaking the bread for 1980 years, virtually uninterrupted every Sunday, do you think it reasonable to start doubting now?
You need to realize that in the Old Testaments the Israelites would go to the Temple OR a Sinagogue (If you lived outside Jerusalem) to worship GOD on the Sabbath. There (at the Sinagogue or Temple) there were priests or Rabbis that would perform their duties.
Think about it :cool: Where they working on the Sabbath?

A doctor or nurse that needs to be at the hospital because is caring for the patients there is dispensed from the Sunday obbligation to attend mass and can attend either at the Saturday's vespers mass or the next available one.
Though most hospitals will have a chapel and many a priests do say mass there.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.