Why do priests have to go to different parishes?

To be clear:

I do not have a dog in this fight. I simply responded to @Rosie11, the original poster, with the typical reasons the Church rotates priests. I was answering her question. I do not make or enforce the policies.

I was ordained a deacon 14 years ago. Most of that time I have spent working in parish ministry, at two different locations. I studied for the priesthood years ago, for a different diocese. I have many friends who are priests, many who are deacons, and three that are bishops. The info shared reflects that experience and those relationships.

• Everyone who has beloved priest doesn’t want to lose them, I myself, have felt this, too.

• Those who have endured years with a weaker or problematic priest can’t wait for him to be transferred.

Until more of the great priests begin bi-locating (like St. Pio of Pietrelcina), it requires transferring pastors around so the weaker ones get moved, too.

In other words, why should your parish get the best priest forever? Don’t other parishes deserve to benefit from his gifts?

This issue of priestly rotation is a challenge for every bishop, and every priest personnel board. They do the best job they can.

If the purpose of the thread is more about lamenting losing a beloved priest, I get that. But if it’s truly about asking why this happens, it seems to me we have covered the reasons (even if you disagree with them) for the policy.

Being a bishop is difficult, and our prayers are needed to help them in these kinds of areas.

Please pray for our bishops, who themselves, were beloved priests before they were elevated to High Priests,
Deacon Christopher

Forgive me for not being clear.

When I suggested that you give him a chance, I meant to see how it goes over the course of a few months. There could be a number of reasons why a single incident disappoints, so it’s not really fair to gauge a new pastor by one encounter.

As for the confession you mentioned, that has happened to me before. As Dcn. Christopher said above, do interrupt him! He may simply have misread the flow of your confession. Telling him that you aren’t finished is just a clarification. It doesn’t have to be confrontational.

Praying for you and your priest. Try to keep in mind that all this is new for him as well. God bless you both. :slightly_smiling_face:

This topic was automatically closed 14 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.