Why do priests not teach?

Hi! I have a real problem with this.

Our priest and others before that read the gospel which I enjoy and their homilies are really good.
But outside of that they don’t teach about the laws of the church, ten commandments or whatever.
And theres no real interest in the catachism books that are being used. The catachism books teach absolutely nothing other then how to use your conscience.
I don’t see how you can use your conscience if nothing is taught about the teachings of the church.:shrug:
There are many catholics or other that believe do what you feel is right but don’t tell me what to believe.

God Bless Kathy

Do you mean to say that your parish has no on-going religious education offerings for adults, outside of Mass? And the kids are being asked to follow their consciences, but aren’t being given the factual basis for formation of those consciences?

Ask your pastor about this. In the meantime, realize that other parishes near you may offer adult faith formation. If the parish is orthodox, the adult education offerings generally will be, too.

As far as the kids, it is unfortunate that the general state of educational standards are such that it is sometimes difficult to get to the level of rigor in religious education that catechists might like. That’s not an excuse not to try, but when the kids aren’t ever asked to memorize anything in their daily classes, it is like pulling teeth to get them to memorize much for RE. Add to this the problem that all-volunteer RE classes usually don’t have catechists who are trained to teach K-8.

Besides, even a very good RE program can’t do much unless the parents are willing to do a great deal of teaching at home. One hour a week just doesn’t cut it, unless significant initiative is also coming from home, where a child’s primary educators live.

I’ve always felt that it was the parents responsibility to form a child’s conscience, and that it was for the Church (nuns or laity) to fill in the “rules”.

I don’t ever recall getting taught much in the way of Catechism from priests. Actually, if a priest dropped by, it was considered a real treat. And, that was back when each parish had multiple priests.

While it would be wonderful if priests could do more teaching, I just don’t see how they have the time with the workloads they have now.

HI I was asked to become a catachism Coordinator but at first I turned it down because of the catachism books we have to use.
But Father said that I could use other books to complete the catachism books that are in my words are totally useless.
Any suggestions?
I love the Baltamore catachism but the kids need something more to work in.
Any chance is there a site on the internet that you can down load catachism assignments and activities for children.
Or are there some good catachism workbooks out there somewhere?
God Bless Kathy

The fact is that the majority of American priests have been badly formed in the seminary. American priests are lazy. We used to have priests in this country who ran catechism classes, were in the Confessional for hours, visited the sick, provided vespers and benediction, novenas, rosaries, and other services.

The older generation of Catholic priests got off their lazy butts and did the work of the Lord.
These priests knew they were priests all the time, 24/7, and that it was their vocation to give their entire lives to their spiritual children in the parish.

Now that we have been “renewed”, we have all the laity doing everything. The priest is only seen on Sunday, outside of the half-hour he schedules for Confession on Saturdays.

Priests have modern techonology like cell phones and cars and have done less work than the priest on horseback who visited all the towns used to do. American priests have an identity crisis.

I think it is terrible to criticize our Priests that way.

Most Priests are dedicated and tireless workers. Remember in much of the world there is a Priest shortage. 1 or 2 Priests are staffing parishes that used to have 4 or 5. I know of several Priests who are serving as Pastors well into their 80’s b/c there are no Priests to replace them if they retire.

Maybe you don’t see them b/c they are out doing sacramental work that only Priests can do. Other work has needed to be transfered to the laity.

What are you doing to help with the vocation crisis?

God Bless

I am floored. Where on earth did this come from? Do you know any actual priests, or do you just read about them in the bulletin? I know I’m lucky to have the pastor I’ve got, but if you only see your pastor on Sunday, and don’t know how he spends himself the rest of the week, you must be far too uninvolved in your parish to make statements like this.

There are a lot of priests who would be relieved to chuck those electronic leashes they call cell phones and spend more of their time alone on a country road, alone with a horse and a rosary. Do not be so sure that their brother priests of long ago could imagine living the life that a priest has to live today.

Good Grief Charlie Brown!

Every priest I know is worn down to a nub, trying to juggle all the things he has to do in his vocation.

Mass, (keep in mind the funerals and wedding extras) Confession, managing the parish, overseeing the religious education programs, the school, prison ministry, visiting the sick (which is more difficult now because of HIPPA), writing sermons, reviewing annulment cases for the diocesan tribunal, and oh yah, overseeing a mission parish…

Lazy, indeed. :rolleyes:

I have met priests that have come from South America and Mexico. They have all said that they are surprised at how lazy American priests are. A Colombian priest told me that many of the American priests he knew couldn’t cut it as a priest in his home country. He spent hours, up to twelve hours hearing Confessions in villages.

I have looked at many bulletins around the Country. They are pretty much the same in that there is 30-40 minutes for Confession on one day, usually Saturday evening. This is an outrage. They don’t see the danger of mortal sin and what a necessity this sacrament is for salvation.

I know of a Central American priest who was reprimanded by his American pastor because he had the gall to counsel a married couple without an appointment. The Central American priest told me Americam priests are obssesed with appointments. They forget that they are priests at all times and must be ready to minister.

It is well known that heresies and heretical theologians filled most seminaries in the U.S. in the late 60’s and 70’s. Most of the American priests never studied Thomism, St. Alphonsus Liguroi, but were instructed in Rhaner, Von Balthasar, Charles Curran, Kung, etc.

The Faith and Life Series by Ignatius is very good.

Make sure the series youuse is approved for use in your Diocese.

The fact is that most priests are overworked, underpaid and unappreciated. As for the Brazilian priests you mention…remember, these guys are coming from a society NOT suffering the same priest shortage that we are in the US. No comparison. They can spend 12 hours in the confessional because another priest is running the food pantry and someone else visiting the sick, etc.

Many parishes only have 1 hour a week for confession b/c no one comes. I also know many parishes that have confession daily. I don’t know of any Priest who wouldn’t hear confession if someone showed up at the rectory and asked. Or call and make an appointment.

There are some unorthodox Priests in the U.S., but their are plenty in South America and Mexico too. Ever hear of Liberation Theology?

Also, if American Priests are so lazy, why don’t Mexico and South America send us some Priests to help minister to the tens of millions of immigrants from those countries?

When the Irish, the Germans, the Italians, the Poles, etc. came to the U.S., Priests were sent to tend to them.

Today, the burden of caring for all these immigrants falls squarely on the local Church. The help we get comes mostly from India and Africa and Asia which have realtively few immigrants in the U.S. Where are all the Mexican and Colombian Priests coming to tend their flocks?

God Bless

The fact is that the majority of American priests have been badly formed in the seminary. American priests are lazy. We used to have priests in this country who ran catechism classes, were in the Confessional for hours, visited the sick, provided vespers and benediction, novenas, rosaries, and other services.

The older generation of Catholic priests got off their lazy butts and did the work of the Lord.
These priests knew they were priests all the time, 24/7, and that it was their vocation to give their entire lives to their spiritual children in the parish.

Now that we have been “renewed”, we have all the laity doing everything. The priest is only seen on Sunday, outside of the half-hour he schedules for Confession on Saturdays.

Priests have modern techonology like cell phones and cars and have done less work than the priest on horseback who visited all the towns used to do. American priests have an identity crisis

I agree, priests don’t do half of what they use to.
Believe me I do have great respect for them but things are not like they use to be.
My uncle was a priest and he burned the candle at both ends.
God Bless: Kathy

If priests now don’t do half of what priests used to, then God must have shortened the days from 48 hours down to 24, because I know the weeks have always only been 7 days long.

PS Having said that, our pastor teaches a class for the adult education series several times a year.

Hi please don’t get mad at me :frowning:
Maybe priests here anyway need to prioritize on maybe whats more important? I don’t know.
We have confessions aprox once a month on a Saturday evening,
Why can’t they spend 15 minutes in the confessional every sunday?
Once my mom called a priest to hear my brothers confession before he went to jail (he was very scared and had left the church)
The priest lived here in town at the time and refused to hear his confession until he came on sunday.
I don’t know:shrug:
God Bless: Kathy

Once a month? That is an abomination. You have a bad heretical priest.
I would like to see priests spend 3-8 hours on Saturday for Confessions. A good idea for priests would be to get rid of Saturday evening vigil Masses and devote the whole evening and night to Confession. Tell Catholics that Sunday is the Lord’s day.

How in the world are priests supposed to hear Confesion in 15-30 minutes? It might take fifteen minutes for one person to through Confension after being fallen away from the faith.

Wow. Well, I would have to have heard the conversation, but the local priests who put “by appointment” in their bulletins have a reputation for actually meaning that they are happy to arrange to meet people who ask to celebrate the Sacrament outside the scheduled times…and during their homilies, they’re practically begging people to come back to confession. Maybe our priests have a priority that other areas aren’t blessed with.

A “bad heretical priest”? Heresy is a serious word with a real meaning. It should not be thrown around lightly to mean someone who isn’t serious about their duty.

Maybe instead we have a priest who’s spent a lot of lonely Saturday hours in an empty confessional. This is a real problem, but it isn’t a problem that is solved by spending more hours that aren’t used.

I want to point out that I find it very hard to say anything against a priest as they are God’s chosen ones.

One night I had a dream that I was in church and I heard God say
"do not speak against my priests for it is not up to you but to go to my church and worship me".

Also when I said maybe 15 minutes every sunday, I choose that because we live in a town of 1000.

God Bless: Kathy:D

We live in serious times and times of darkness. Catholics need to be realists about the state of Catholicism. His actions reveal serious doubts about his orthodoxy. Confession once a month indicate questions about his belief in original sin, mortal sin, dogma of hell, and the salvation of souls.

Confessionals would be full if priests actually preach sin, repentence, and hell during their sermons. The full Gospel.
A priest must preach about the four last things: Death, judgement, heaven, and hell.

If priests stressed Confession by constantly reminding them of the hours they are available for Confession and encouraged people to go. They also need to remind Catholics it is sacralidge to recieve Communion in the state of mortal sin.
I know most Catholics recieve Communion in a state of mortal sin every Sunday across this Country.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.