- Because that’s how they were raised.
- Because they didn’t like how they were raised, and want something different.
- Because they like that church the best.
- Because they are convinced that their church has the truth.
- Because they are convinced that only their church has the truth.
- Because they like the pastor.
- Because they like the people who go there.
- Because the services are enjoyable.
- Because this church doesn’t require them to donate as much money as other churches would.
- Because it caters to their ethnicity or social class.
- Because it lines up with their beliefs, what they believe to be true, or what they want to believe is true.
- Because this church doesn’t judge you.
- Because this church does judge you, and challenges you to conform to the truth.
- Because it’s a “nice” church.
- Because it’s a prestigious church.
- Because it’s a church where the common man can feel comfortable.
- Because they dress up.
- Because they dress down.
ETA: Thanks to our friend @Phill, I was reminded of the most important reason of all:
- Because they have discovered, in prayer, that this is the church where God wants me to be, and where I can best glorify Him.
Any other ideas?
I am particularly interested in hearing what actual non-Catholics who go to one of these churches have to say, or Catholics who have known people who go to one of these churches.
And I am really interested to know whether any of these churches regard themselves as “the one true church”, and if so, why?