Why Do SDAs View Ellen G White as a Prophet?

So why do Seventh Day Adventists hold Ellen G White as a prophet(ess)? Below are some prophesies that did not work out for her (copied from another website but I found additional sources for each one)

EGW said concerning her writings, “There is one straight chain of truth without one heretical sentence in that which I have written” (Selected Messages [SM], vol. 3, p.52). Nothing could be further from the truth as we have seen from a mere sampling of her contradictions with the Bible (for further information see www.ellenwhite.org). One thing that EGW said that I complete agree with is “If (my) testimonies speak not according to the Word of God, reject them” (TC, vol. 5, p.601). Amen, Ellen, amen!

PROPHECY: “Old Jerusalem would never be built up” (EW, p.75).
REALITY: Since 1948, Old Jerusalem has been greatly built up by the Israelis.

PROPHECY: EGW will be alive at Jesus’ Second Coming (EW, pp.15-16).
REALITY: EGW died on July 16, 1915.

PROPHECY: Some alive in 1856 will see Christ’s Second Coming (TC, vol. 1, pp.131-132).
REALITY: All from 1856 have died.

PROPHECY: The Civil War is a sign that Jesus is about to return (TC, vol. 1, p260).
REALITY: Jesus did not return.

PROPHECY: England will attack the U.S. during the Civil War (TC, vol. 1, p.259).
REALITY: England did not attack.

PROPHECY: The earth will be depopulated soon after 1864 (TC, vol. 8, p.94).
REALITY: The earth’s population has increased greatly.

The Bible warns against “Prophets” like EGW. “Beloved, do not trust every spirit, but put the spirits to the test to see if they belong to God, because many false prophets have appeared in the world” (I John 4:1). *

I want to add that a true prophet is never a heretic, like she was.

Unfortunately they can’t remain being SDA’s without affirming that she is a prophet…
…They are inbetween a rock and a hard place on that one.
…“Cognitive dissonance

“Ellen White always made it clear that she was the lesser light leading to the greater light of God’s Word. I can see in her writings that she was only seeking to bring people to God and did not want to lift herself up above the Bible or call attention to herself.”
She never claimed the title of prophet.

And yet she DID prophesied!

If Ellen White didn’t consider herself a prophet, why is the SDA church calling her a prophet?

She actually considered herself “much more” than a prophet, similar to how Jesus described John the Baptist…
…She also said she wrote things, was given information past that which is in Scripture.

1st there is this,

Ellen White
Early in my youth I was asked several times, Are you a prophet? I have ever responded, I am the Lord’s messenger. I know that many have called me a prophet, but I have made no claim to this title. My Saviour declared me to be his messenger. ‘Your work,’ he instructed me, ‘is to bear my word. … It is not you that speaketh: it is the Lord that giveth the messages of warning and reproof. Never deviate from the truth under any circumstances . Give the light I shall give you. The messages for these last days shall be written in books, and shall stand immortalized, to testify against those who have once rejoiced in the light, but who have been led to give it up because of the seductive influences of evil.’ Why have I not claimed to be a prophet?–Because in these days many who boldly claim that they are prophets are a reproach to the cause of Christ; and because my work includes MUCH MORE than the word ‘prophet’ signifies." (Review and Herald, July 26, 1907)

And unfortunately the following.

Ellen White, SDA Prophet
The Bible is written by inspired men, but it is NOT God’s mode of thought and expression. It is that of humanity. God, as a writer, is not represented. Men will often say such an expression is not like God. But God has not put Himself in words, in logic, in rhetoric, on trial in the Bible. The writers of the Bible were God’s penmen, NOT His pen." (Selected Messages, Vol. 1, Chapter One “The Inspiration of the Prophetic Writers”)

Ellen White
Before I stand on my feet, I have no thought of speaking as plainly as I do. But the Spirit of God rests upon me with power, and I CANNOT but speak the words GIVEN me. I dare not withhold one word of the testimony… I speak the words GIVEN ME by a higher power than human power, and I CANNOT, if I would, recall [retract] one sentence” (1MR 28).

Ellen White
As soon as I take my pen in hand, I am not in darkness as to what to write.** It is as plain and clear as a voice speaking to me**, ‘I will instruct thee and teach thee in the way which thou shalt go’” (2MR 319).

Ellen White
There are those who say, ‘Someone MANIPULATES her writings.’** I acknowledge the charge**. It is One who is mighty in counsel, One who presents before me the condition of things” (1MR 30).

There is an almost endless supply of such statements to be found from Ellen White…
…She is explicit that the people who authored Scripture gave it a good go - but that’s where it ends.
…The Likes of Daniel, Isaiah, St. Paul, etc didn’t get the type of Instruction Ellen Got.
…She claims God told her exactly what to write - thus, she became God’s actual PEN.
…This is why SDA’s call her “the pen of Inspiration”.

Besides, if the SDA’s ceased considering her a prophet they would not have any support for their creature christ doctrine…
…Nor would they be able to defend their Saturday Sabbath doctrine & Sunday the mark of Lucifer doctrine.

Just so there is no mistake about how hard core Ellen White was about her prophetic gift…
…I offer the following gems.

Ellen White
The testimonies are unread and unappreciated. God has spoken to you. Light has been shining from His word and from the testimonies, and both have been slighted and disregarded. (Testimonies, Vol. 5, p. 217)

So, SDA’s can’t dump Ellen White without also destroying their own religion…
…It’s a catch 22.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.