Why do so many smart people not believe in God!

We have the Catholic Church (and the smaller Eastern Orthodox set of Churches) that were founded by Jesus Christ and carried on by the Twelve Apostles and their successors. Across 21 centuries, the history of the Church shows that it has produced much fruit, done many charitable deeds, produced many saints. Across 21 centuries, the Church has produced more than a few martyrs who testified with their lives to confirm what they believed. The Catholic Church is the world’s oldest and largest organization.

There are many believers among people of art.
Among the brilliant artists, sculptors, musicians, composers.
There are also quite a few believers among physicists.
By the way, Mortimer Adler, who had already passed into eternity, turned to God.
He became a Christian.

I offer this quote from Thomas Nagel, famous atheist:

I want atheism to be true and am made uneasy by the fact that some of the most intelligent and well-informed people I know are religious believers. It isn’t just that I don’t believe in God and, naturally, hope that I’m right in my belief. It’s that I hope there is no God! I don’t want there to be a God; I don’t want the universe to be like that.”(”The Last Word” by Thomas Nagel, Oxford University Press: 1997)”

― Thomas Nagel

The question could also be, “Why do so many not-so-smart people not believe in God?”

Why do so many smart people not believe in God!

This is indeed a puzzling question…what’s the connection between smart people and a lower level of religiosity. The answer is no doubt quite complicated, but there’s an interesting corollary question that may offer us some insight…why are the women in small towns uglier?

The answer to the second question may give us some insight as to the answer to the first question. Unfortunately, if you don’t live in a small town this may be difficult to figure out.

I know…you’re all going what the heck is lelinator talking about? Years ago, if you were a girl in a small town, you were born in the small town, you went to school in the small town, you went to church in the small town, you got married in the small, you raised a family in the small town, and you died in the small town. Now the boys, they might’ve gone off to college, or off to war, but the girls they tended to spend their entire lives in or around this one small town.

But times change, and nowadays girls tend to go off to college just often as the boys do. And an odd selection process seems to take place while those girls are off at college. Many of them discover that they like college life, they’re popular, and they find boyfriends, or even get married, and many of them never come back to the small town. But some of the girls do come back, but they tend to be the one’s who didn’t find college life quite so appealing, they weren’t quite as popular, they weren’t quite as pretty. They didn’t find boyfriends or husbands, or perhaps many friends at all. So the tendency in small towns, is that when the girls go off to college, the pretty ones are less likely to come back.

But what does this have to do with why smart people are less likely to be religious? Well, smart people tend to go to college. And consequently they may lose a bit of the connection that they had to their roots. They may not be quite as inclined to go to church as regularly as they used to. And being young and impressionable, and with a new found freedom, they may begin to question what they were taught in those small towns. Maybe a lot, or maybe just a little. But either way, colleges, with their sense of freedom, differing worldviews, and an encouragement to question the status quo is a great place to lose one’s religiosity.

But you know…maybe that’s a good thing. Maybe people need to question the status quo. To paraphrase an old saying about setting a bird free, if it comes back to you, it’s yours for life, if it doesn’t, it wasn’t yours in the first place.

Never be too afraid, or too stubborn, or too proud to question what you believe. And never, ever be too afraid to be yourself. You don’t have to be perfect. You don’t even have to be Catholic. You just have to be yourself. God ain’t stupid, he knows what your heart is telling you. Heck, it’s probably Him…so listen.

1 Like

I don’t believe this.

Ah…don’t live in a small town I guess.

But hopefully I gave you something to think about.

Take the small town test:

Does your town have a grocery store?
Does your town have a bank?
Does your town have a school?
Does your town have a post office?
Does your town have a gas station?
Does your town have a bar?
Does your town have a church?

Depending upon which of these you have, you can figure out fairly closely how big your town is. Generally, from my experience, anything with a population much greater than 3500 doesn’t qualify as a small town.

That is more of a village, No? Yes, it is true that many young women will leave the village to improve their lives. I know of some beautiful girls from an Eastern European village who went to Italy to continue with their education. I was thinking of a town the size of 90,000 or so as i know an extremely beautiful young woman who lives in a city of that size.
Novo Mesto, where the beautiful Melania Trump was born, has a population of about 24,000.

Indeed it’s a matter of perspective. But to me 10,000 is a big town. A town that size is a lot different than a small town. Heck, they might even have a Walmart. You’re not quite as anonymous in a small town.

1 Like

I don’t disagree with anything you said or that Catholicism, along with many other religions, exists, has believers, etc. I’m just saying that there is no true evidence for any God’s existence. As time goes on, there will be less and less believers.

You would do well to remember your Creator in the days of your youth and all your days. Take a breath and say “thank you” to your Creator. You will never take a breath and enjoy anything that doesn’t have its ultimate source in your Creator.

Vital Christian living depends upon remembrance. We remember Creation. If you can believe and remember Noah’s flood, Almighty God delivered eight people from destruction (and buried many fossils in the related sediment). In the Exodus and Passover, Almighty God delivered the Hebrew / Israelite nation from slavery in Egypt. God commanded the Jews to remember this annually in the Feast of Passover. By His Crucifixion and Resurrection, Jesus Christ delivered believing humanity from the guilt of sin and made grace, mercy, pardon to be available. Daily, at the celebration of the Catholic Mass and Eucharist, we remember His Cross and Resurrection, when we “eat his flesh and drink his blood” in the form of the Eucharistic bread and wine. Jesus commanded His disciples to “do this in remembrance of Me” and the Catholic Church does this daily (except for Good Friday when we remember His Crucifixion in other ways).

I don’t think any of the devout and faithful on this forum are among the smart people who don’t believe in God. Every devout and faithful person in any religion can/will find evidence for the god of their religion. It’s the people who aren’t, as you and I probably were, raised in church from birth that find difficulty in believing. If you’re a non-religious observer, what do you point to as your basis for believing?

Of course it does, it means there are no natural causes for the cure of the person. It proves that forces beyond our natural world worked to help cure him, reviewed by a panel of medical experts.

There is the mother of the cured person testified as many others have that this happened while the person was asking Carlo Acutis to “stop vomiting”, while assisting Mass

You misunderstand, the teaching has not changed, however circumstances around it have.

One more time. It only means that the interviewed persons have no natural explanation.

It may be difficult to generalise. I was raised with what was then, I guess, a not unusual upbringing among the better off of the working class: at home, grace before meals, prayers before bed; at church, a Sunday service, Sunday school, church Scouts; at school, a religious service to start every day. When I lost my faith I didn’t tell my parents. They would have been hurt. I am sure they went to their graves as believers.

1 Like

The teaching has not changed? So it was always the teaching that “the death penalty is inadmissible because it is an attack on the inviolability and dignity of the person.” Was the death penalty an attack on the inviolability and dignity of the person 500 years ago or is it just today that it is an attack on the inviolability and dignity of the person?

1 Like

Danger: Relativism ahead. Proceed with caution.

3 Likes
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.