Why do some Catholic Churches not have rectories on their grounds?

I've noticed that some Catholic Churches no longer have Rectories on their grounds. Especially the brand new suburban churches. Where do the priests live?

It's been a recent practice of some Catholic parishes (at least in the US) to not build the rectory next to or even very near the Church because, as I've been told, the priests are constantly bothered and "get no rest" from visitors at all hours.

My last parish actually removed the rectory and now the priests live in a neighborhood house, which is owned by the parish and used for the priests' dwelling.

At first this bothered me, but I understand the idea that the priests need at least some solitude and peace; nonetheless, it seems to break from tradition.

Not every parish has a resident pastor. Some parishes share pastors. A diocesan priest can have his own house or apartment.

It might just be a space issue. If a church is built in an already developed area, they might not have been able to buy enough land in one parcel to put a rectory on it.

Our rectory fell into disrepair and needed a major remodel. Instead of completely remodeling it, and to utilize the space for a fellowship hall/classrooms, a house behind the church was purchased and has stairs connecting it to the church grounds. It is a part of the neighborhood and the church which I think is cool.

[quote="KimberlyCat, post:1, topic:342755"]
I've noticed that some Catholic Churches no longer have Rectories on their grounds. Especially the brand new suburban churches. Where do the priests live?

[/quote]

I'm sure that if they had a "rectory' a tow truck would have hauled it away by now. Some priests live in houses near the church. Our pastor lives in an apartment in the building that houses the Church offices.

When we built our new church, it was more expensive to build the Rectory than it was to buy a house in the neighborhood. So they bought the house.

In the future, they may build something, but for now the pastor and associate pastor live in a house across the street from the church property.

Because my church is located in a downtown area, it was not unusual for the rectory doorbell to ring at all hours of the night. When the land was needed for a new parish hall and office space, the rectory was torn down. The priest now lives in a house a few miles away. The house is also used by visiting priests who come to the area to fill in for my priest or for the priests of other area churches when they are away.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.