Why do some folk still believe they will enter in to heaven after death? (Its wrong teaching)

The acts of the apostles is very clear in the bible that NO human enters in to heaven.

The Lord came from heaven and he is there now.

As we await his return to earth. To form his new kingdom in Jerusalem.

King David’s body is still in the grave. His soul is in heaven awaiting the return of the Lord so we like him can be resurrected from the dead.

:thinking::thinking: Last time I checked King David was definitely human. So if he is in heaven then logically …

8 Likes

Love to answer you in an acceptable form, but I’m not a Jehovah’s Witness.

p.s. “the bible is very clear” AYKM? It is NOT NOT NOT always clear and needs someone in authority to interpret and hand on what the Apostles taught.

Unless one subscribes to some man-made religion, that is.

10 Likes

I am genuinely intrigued that you are identifying as Catholic in your profile and saying this is wrong teaching.

Here is what the Catechism says :

1022 Each man receives his eternal retribution in his immortal soul at the very moment of his death, in a particular judgment that refers his life to Christ: either entrance into the blessedness of heaven-through a purification or immediately, – or immediate and everlasting damnation.

Maybe what confuses you is the distinction made between the particular judgment on individual souls, happening after death, and the Last Judgment, marking the return of Christ in glory, and where the deceased ones will be resurrected in their bodies.

(That’s a clumsy way to put it, sorry for that.)

7 Likes

These two sentences contradict. If King David’s soul is in heaven, why can’t ours be in heaven? The Bible says:

Hebrews 12:22 But ye are come unto mount Sion, and unto the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to an innumerable company of angels,

23 To the general assembly and church of the firstborn, which are written in heaven, and to God the Judge of all, and to the spirits of just men made perfect,

24 And to Jesus the mediator of the new covenant, and to the blood of sprinkling, that speaketh better things than that of Abel.

3 Likes

@englands123, are you a Seventh Day Adventist?

4 Likes

No Roman Catholic.

I was taught when we die our souls will be judged by the Lord.

Our body returns to dust.

Our body does not enter in to heaven after death.

We hopefully will be resurrected from the dead when the Lord returns to the Holy City of Zion and our bodies and Soul will be reunited together but not before.

This is not Catholic teaching. There are people, aka souls, in Heaven right now. In the case of canonized saints, the Church has formally declared that they are in Heaven right now enjoying the beatific vision of God. Furthermore, Catholics generally have hope (though not certainty) that many other persons besides canonized saints are in Heaven now. They are not in their human bodies but they are there.

If your point is that souls do not go to Heaven in their human bodies and are waiting for Christ to come again so we can be reunited with our bodies, the Virgin Mary is one big exception to that as she was 100 percent human and was assumed body and soul into Heaven; this is a dogma of the Church.

3 Likes

Yes I am saying our body does not enter heaven. Only our soul.

So what is it exactly you have an issue with ?

Most Christian people I know do believe they will go to eternal life after their death, that is, that their soul will, while their body waits for the final resurrection.

I don’t know anybody who claims they will enter Heaven body and soul, as Mary did, directly after death.

3 Likes

Okay, so if you’re not talking about Mary, which Catholics do you know who claim our body goes to heaven?

I don’t know anybody who thinks their physical body is going to Heaven with them…only ever happened for Mary and she is a special case.

6 Likes

Some Christians believe they will go to heaven or hell after death body & soul. I have heard them saying such things in general chit chat.

I say no our body does not and nor will it ever enter heaven.

I think the OP is interpreting the Holy City - the heavenly destination at the resurrection - as a literal kingdom that will be founded upon the physical Jerusalem as it exists now in the Middle East. Thus, our bodies do not enter into the spiritual kingdom of heaven so much as they are physically resurrected to live in the earthly New Jerusalem.

Hence, the OP’s quote that:

I say no our body does not and nor will it ever enter heaven.

Which is somewhat inconsistent with the Church’s position of the New Jerusalem as a spiritual kingdom into which our physical bodies are drawn (although I don’t want to be quoted on eschatology, one of my weak points).

1 Like

I think what the OP is trying to say is that at and after the Last Judgment we will all be on the New Earth and not in the New Heaven. You often hear people talking about “being in Heaven” after the Last Judgmentwhen we’ll be on the New Earth.

Granted, God at that time will make his dwelling among men, and the righteous shall have an unending vision of him, so one could say that we will be both on the New Earth and in the New Heaven.

1 Like

Yes sorry my literature is not great. But that is what I was trying to explain in a chat with others. One was a JW.

1 Like

Your list omits an important item, the so-called Four Last Things.

2 Likes

Because you are not taking into account the Particular Judgment, your contentions are not in keeping with the dogma and teachings of the Catholic Church.

So, if you are raising the issue as a Catholic, you are wrong; if you are raising the issue as a non-Catholic, you are arguing against beliefs that you have not accepted.

The former may be acceptable to a non-Catholic, but the later doesn’t hold any credence for Catholics.

Maybe you should ask them why they believe that in the aforementioned chit chat. This forum has absolutely no way of knowing why they believe this.

2 Likes

Yes, only Jesus and Mary have a glorified body in Heaven, the rest just have a spirit body , until they get their glorified body in the future.

I’ve always appreciated Pope Emeritus Benedict’s statement, in “Jesus of Nazareth”, I believe, “God is heaven.”

1 Like
DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.