Why do Some Folks Love to use the word "Hate"?

I’ll make this short and sweet. I’ve lost count of the threads with titles such as "why do x’s hate y’s? Must we toss the word “hate” around with such abandon? Dislike, disagree with, whatever. But “HATE”? Ins’t this a bit strong in the language department when you consider what true hatred really is? Or is the use of this term simply designed to stir up emotion and animosity? :confused:

Its a handy label.

Racism is another one that is used very often in the media.

Considering Webster’s definition of the word “hate”…

1 a: intense hostility and aversion usually deriving from fear, anger, or sense of injury b: extreme dislike or antipathy : loathing

its easy to see why the word is used. In many cases its probably appropriate…but in others not. Depends on the the who, what and where…and when.

Racism is much the same…except its based on “ethnicity”.

I know it’s stylish to use “hate” to mean anything from noticing the distinction between one statement of fact and another, mutually exclusive, one, to disapproval of an action or choice, to disagreement on matters of lifestyle preference, whereas loathing and hostility are worlds away from such issues. I don’t know why. I guess it must be a pendulum problem: Maybe the style is now to call anything short of full agreement and unlimited affection “hate” in reaction against the fairly cold attitude of past generations. Just trying too hard to avoid the mistakes of other people long ago. I think that makes some sense but it does get irritating to try to pin down what people mean who keep answering everything with “But don’t you think the time for hate is past?” when no one but them ever said anything about hating anyone. Is that what you refer to?
maybe the word “hate” should be reserved by social convention for those who can point to what they mean specifically.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.