Why do true christians view each other as in separate churches?

Hi all
I don’t understand the consept of a false christian. If you believe in the lord Jesus Christ and are baptised and repent of your sins…well you are Christian, and you belong to Christ.
You aren’t baptist…pentecostal…methodist…
etc…etc…you are christian. A baptist dose not love a different Jesus Christ then a pentecostal.

Its human to break up into groups.
We have national groups, social class groups, christian groups…it just never stops.

The truth is that we are one big human family,no national group is anymore human then the other.

The same is true for christians.

I don’t like it.
Because man benefits from segregation, have you seen some of those preachers cars?!?!?!

every last one of us have the bible in common.Loving one another, not lying steeling etc…etc… we all have that in common.
every christian will have to leave there denomination and join Gods one family in heaven anyway, may as well start getting along now.

Well, there are churches out there that have an extremely skewed view of who Jesus was altogether.

People like the Mormons, for example, who while claiming to love and follow Jesus claim things like that all men become gods and that Jesus was a different god entirely to the Father and the Holy Spirit, for example. They really can’t even be said to follow Jesus since they have such a completely wrong understanding of Him.

They aren’t baptised just like the rest of us - they use completely different wording and ceremony in their ‘baptism’ and believe that the dead can be baptised.

And they DON’T have the Bible in common with us - they added their own ‘New New Testament’, the Book of Mormon.

As for having the commandments in common? Sheesh the Jews have those too! That does NOT a Christian make.

So there are at least some groups out there that are on the fringes to say the least.

Let me ask you this question.
What exactly are you going to do about a christian who has less understanding then others?

Some are BORN in these groups, there desire is to be christian.
And God knows that.

my question is this, why do we allow cults to begin with?
If a person was open to mormonism then that person was also open to main stream christianity, so why didn’t we evangelise them?

I think we allow these groups to exist, simply because they are more active.

I don’t like cults, but we allow them. For example how are the people in your neighborhood? Are any in your neighborhood searching for God? If they are,we should know…if we don’t a Jehovah’s witness will or a mormon will.

The problem is bigger then we are
willing to deal with, because if we attack mormonism…we will also have to rebuild the faith of all those people…I don’t think people want to do all that work.

Would you rather have a strong christian Jehovah’s witness family living next door to you, or one of the many lukewarm mainstream christians.

If I needed food,or a tragedy happened…I would like someone next door to me that would do something about it.

There must be a reason that God sees a persons heart searching for him…and he allow’s them to be contacted by mormons.

Yep! I agree. :thumbsup:

Don’t Christians believe in the divinity of Christ? That is, he was the Son of the living God. Being the Son of the living God, Jesus is God.

If people who claim to be Christians don’t believe Christ to be God, but merely a holy man, it would be the same as saying all men who believed Hitler existed are nazis. I don’t believe either to be true and therefore exists a wide division among men claiming to be Christian.

As for helping one another through hard times, a Christian is to show compassion for one another and appreciates a helping hand in hard times. Merely believing in good works will not get everyone into heaven. There are many atheists who believe we should treat each other kindly and with compassion.

There was one Church that Christ started. Man made decisions, through private interpretations, to abandon the Church over the actions of other men. That’s like throwing the baby out with the bath water, in my opinion.

Christ wanted us to be united, through His Church.

Joh 10:16 And other sheep I have that are not of this fold: them also I must bring. And they shall hear my voice: And there shall be one fold and one shepherd.

This is confirmed by the teachings of St. Paul.

1Co 1:10 Now I beseech you, brethren, by the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that you all speak the same thing and that there be no schisms among you: but that you be perfect in the same mind and in the same judgment.

I agree the division never stops, but I believe the divisions should have never started. There was only one Church started by Christ and there are many started by men. Which one do real Christians believe in?

I have bolded and underlined part of your quote that I can totally agree with. Outside of that, I’m afraid we are quite different through our faiths. That does not mean I reject people who believe differently, it does mean I pray for our unity though…through the one true Church.

May the peace of the Lord be with you,
Prodigal Son1

There were more than one Jesus, (word omitted out of good manners) more than one crucified Jesus, even now there are Jesus’.

Which Jesus?

I know people who do many things, and say they believe in Jesus, many Baptist I know do not do trinitarian baptism, as with other spiritualists, this makes them in a separate category in the See’s eyes…

As for “false” - well, that’s an oft abused word, less correct? incorrect? materially heresy? perhaps, false- hard word to define…

Anyhow, if we are to interpret it Catholic way- they’d have to acknowledge the pope to acknowledge Jesus, luckily God does not judge by our knowledge, but our efforts based on what is given … :slight_smile:

Anyhow, not defining Christian, just the Catholic view of what the Christian is :slight_smile: This does not refer to belief alone, which would mean nothing if not refering to specific beliefs…

“Christianity
In the following article an account is given of Christianity as a religion, describing its origin, its relation to other religions, its essential nature and chief characteristics, but not dealing with its doctrines in detail nor its history as a visible organization. These and other aspects of this great subject will receive treatment under separate titles. Moreover, the Christianity of which we speak is that which we find realized in the Catholic Church alone; hence, we are not concerned here with those forms which are embodied in the various non-Catholic Christian sects, whether schismatical or heretical.
newadvent.org/cathen/03712a.htm

As for Christian, well- it refers to a big grouping, but is oft abused- it is not those who believe a Jesus lived, died, or rose again, but what it is is hard to know- the church sets specifications involving baptism- which makes one “Christian”, but it is complex…

kindstuff.googlepages.com/(bibleonbaptism)

In my Evangelical days an old pastor once said that denominational differences will blow off if one goes to Heaven and they will burn off if one goes to Hell.

P.S. Catholics believe the following dogmatically

extra ecclesiam nulla salus - “Outside the Church, no salvation”

It also relates to denominations being schisms, and one church- catholic meaning universal- all encompassing- wherein it is considered material heresy or schism to reject it or it’s gospel, but only proper heresy if willful etc… doctrinally… so it is important :slight_smile:

We believe in One Holy (separated by God, righteous), Catholic (Single, general, All-encompassing), and Apostolic (Traceable to the Apostles, with one gospel, and interpretation against which none can be allowed to appose) Church (body of people).

Lukewarm mainstream Christian, or maybe a non-practicing pagan, no contest.

The idea that “We’re all one big happy family of Christ followers so we should all just learn to get along” sounds really nice from a viewpoint of the world. The world is all about unity, and coming together, and breaking down laws. However, this philosophy is NOT compatible with the Word of God.

“But I have written unto you not to keep company, if any man that is called a brother be a fornicateor, or covetous, or an idolater, or a railer, or a drunkard, or an extortioner; with such a one, no, not to eat” (1 Corinthians 5:11)

“And what agreement hath the temple of God with idols? for ye are the temple of the living God; as God hath said, I will dwell in them, and walk in them; and I will be their God, and they shall be my people. Wherefore come out from among them, and be ye separate, saith the Lord, and touch not the unclean thing; and I will receive you.” (2 Corinthians 6:16-17)

"Would to God ye could bear with me a little in my folly: and indeed bear with me. For I am jealous over you with godly jealousy: for I have espoused you to one husband, that I may present you as a chaste virgin to Christ. But I fear, lest by any means, as the serpent beguiled Eve through his subtilty, so your minds should be corrupted from the simplicity that is in Christ. For if he that cometh preacheth ANOTHER JESUS, whom we have not preached, or if ye receive ANOTHER SPIRIT, which ye have not received, or ANOTHER GOSPEL, which ye have not accepted, ye might well bear with him” (2nd Corinthians 11:1-4).

As seen from that last scripture, there is, indeed, another Jesus. God’s people have no business fellowshipping with others who “claim” to be Christian but teach a different doctrine. For example, should true believers fellowship with “gay” churches that promote homosexuality and have homosexuals in the ministry?

You might as well be asking, Why did God allow Adam and Eve to sin and the world to fall into ignorance in the first place? We’re all groping to find our way to the light and who’re the “we” who could stop someone else from creating or following the latest cult anyway? We certainly have the right to try but God respects our freedom to err even though He hates sin and desires unity in our faith.

Most of this is irrelevant.
Yes there SHOULD be unity…no there SHOULDN’T have been a break from the original group.

But there was.

looking back now is a bunch of…woulda shoulda coulda stuff.
The fact is there was a break of from the original, and the Catholic church is broken in two between east and west and even oriental…so how can we blame protestants.

And as far as good athiests, there fait is up to God, the same with those that don’t understand the trinity…there fait is up to God.

This prodestant stuff is old, most prodestants aren’t protesting anything…they were born without the knowledge that they don’t have.

Therefore God must judge.
And I doubt he will judge based of what people DON’T know.

My first paragraph is very important and shouldn’t be overlooked. Without it, one must realize the gates are even more narrow than our Lord said.

Don’t Christians believe in the divinity of Christ? That is, he was the Son of the living God. Being the Son of the living God, Jesus is God.

Woulda, shoulda, coulda still applies…the doors are always open for re-unification and the Church would welcome everyone back.

Prodigal Son1

So if Christianity is based of knowledge…what is the point in baptising babies? Why not wait till they get old enuff to understand the trinity?

No human understands the Trinity.

Can’t talk to a person of a different sect?!?!?!?

How will we ever unite with the orthodox?

40,000 different Jesus’s!!!
No I think its far less complicated then that.

And explain why Catholics mary outside of catholosism so much, if they can’t talk to those of another faith.

It makes no sence.
Im not sure you understand…its catholics that the majority say are not christian.
This is a different time period…people don’t know didely squat about the catholic church…now a long time ago, people knew they were protesting…but now they are BORN in different faiths.
And a reunification is not even close, The Catholic church has to reunite with itself, before all non-catholic christians can be blamed…even if one choses to look for the original church, they have to listen to rome and orthodox go back and forth on who is right…it just never ends.

Right…so how can any human become christian, if one dose not have full knowledge of God.

Or is knowledge, not more important then a human using there free will to serve God…and most of the time they will serve him in the sect they were raised in.

Am I mistaken or doesn’t your profile show you as Jehovah witness? I didn’t know Jehovah witnesses were trying to unite with any other belief.

Isn’t it also true that Jehovah witnesses do not believe in the true divinity of Christ, that is He is the Son of God, therefore He is God? Christians believe in the triune God; the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. Do Jehovah witnesses accept the Trinity?

Prodigal Son1

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.