Why do unintentional sins need a sacrifice?

Meltzerboy, you rightfully mentioned more than once during several talks about Temple times and/or sacrifices that only sacrifices for unintentional sins had to be offered, and so I hope you know more about this.
Now, I was told that we could always be assured of Gds’ forgiveness, and that we would only be held accountable for transgressions that we were aware of. If the Rabbi is right, how comes sin offerings for unintentional sins were necessary at all if someone transgressed without having been aware of transgressing? :confused:

Good question, Katrin. I would imagine (but don’t know for certain) that atoning for unintentional sins shows respect for G-d since it says we are willing to go the extra mile to ensure we are forgiven even when our intentions might have been good. It shows that we are willing to admit we are only human and make mistakes and commit sins unbeknownst to us but nonetheless known to G-d. In this manner, we show G-d that we are striving for perfection, or at least improvement, although often falling short of the mark. It also shows the importance of continuous studying of the Law so that we can have more knowledge and awareness to safeguard us from falling into unintentional sin over and over again. That’s my perspective on the issue.

Fantastic. Makes perfect sense. Thank you! :slight_smile:

Wait, I thought that the wording was that as soon as we realized we sinned, we should make sacrifices?

To me, that also covers the times when we just get caught up in our own thing and forget that what we are doing is sinful, like when people commit a sin of pre- or extra-marital sex and say, but we were so in love! They committed the sin intentionally but were or allowed themselves to be overwhelmed by their emotions and the fact that this is sinful kind of got drowned out.

Now, I was told that we could always be assured of Gds’ forgiveness, and that we would only be held accountable for transgressions that we were aware of. If the Rabbi is right, how comes sin offerings for unintentional sins were necessary at all if someone transgressed without having been aware of transgressing? :confused:

Altho I did not mean to break your vase, should i not still pay for it? Sin causes damage to the world whether intentional or unintentional.

it’s apparent you didn’t understand my question. No worries, you didn’t brake my vase.
My question came from a question I asked the Rabbi which was, what if I upset Gd and don’t even know about it, can I still be assured his forgiveness.

I just got back with the Rabbi (once again :blush:). He clarified “unintentional sins” for me. What’s meant here is temple property. If you accidently use something that belongs to the sanctuary and that is sacred to Gd improperly you have to bring a ram as a sin offering. If you took something from the Temple you must pay back what you took plus 1/5th of its value and the Priest will then make atonement for you. This is what was meant. I just checked my book and Rashi says the same.

Glad you got that cleared up; sorry I originally misunderstood you.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.