Why do we believe in Purgatory?

Hi. I’m new at this so please forgive me if this is not the right section.

I first want to make clear that I 100% believe that Purgatory is real. So I’m not trying to “challenge Catholicism” or anything like that. But I was asked about it by a protestant friend, and had no idea how to respond. I was hoping yall could help me out.

So,

Where does our belief in Purgatory come from? Is it somewhere in the bible? Does it originate from some kind of vision from a Saint?

Thanks!

This may help

And Welcome to the forums.

Peace
James

Thank you!

No catechism handy? They are an excellent resource. Here is just one response to such questions.

I would stress 1 Corinthians 3:10-15, as they may not pay much attention to anyone other than Saint Paul.

Ask them to explain just how:

1. After death,
  2. On the day of judgment
  3. Before the seat of Christ,
  4. One’s work (NOT faith!) is tested.
  5. During that test, one’s work may burn up, not being of gold or even silver.
  6. Yet, even if it does burn up, that person is still saved!
  7. But saved only as though passing through fire.

Ask them to explain just what Paul was speaking of.

It is not the fires of hell, from which there is no escape. It is the refiner’s fire and the fuller’s soap (Malachi 3:2), the fire of purification (1 Peter 1:7). We are invited to the banquet in the Father’s house (Matthew 8:11, Luke 13:29). Yet, nothing impure will enter that house (2 Chronicles 23:19, Revelation 21:27). Purgatory is God’s mud room, where we are cleaned up and made spiritually perfect and presentable to Him.

I would also stress that purgatory is not a place, but a state of our soul on our way to heaven.

catholic.com/tracts/purgatory

catholic.com/magazine/articles/whatever-happened-to-purgatory

catholic.com/blog/matt-fradd/the-logical-case-for-purgatory

catholic.com/blog/tim-staples/is-purgatory-in-the-bible

Purgatory and Praying to the Dead

Then too there is Biblical and Jewish Traditional Beliefs About Purgatory

Then from CA there is the following links.

[LIST]
*] Whatever Happened to Purgatory?
*]Purgatory
*] The Roots of Purgatory
*]Do Catholics still believe in purgatory?
*]The Logical Case For Purgatory
*]Where Is Purgatory in the Bible?
*]The Bible Blueprint for Purgatory
*]Is Purgatory a Catholic Invention? No Way
[/LIST]

Church Militant, your posts are always correct, to the point and soothing to the mind. it is a pleasure to read them,
pray for me till we meet in church triumphant, as the prayer of a just man accomplishes much. james 5 16, i think.

:blush: Thanks Jack…I am an unworthy servant. I have only done what is expected of me. (See Luke 17:10)

You can count on my prayers.

O Lord God of Hosts, have mercy on us all and grant us the graces we desperately need to follow Your Son and come into Your kingdom.:signofcross:

Amen

This would also explain the Jewish roots of purgatory…catholiceducation.org/articles/apologetics/ap0091.html

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.