Why do we go to church to pray?

Hi. I have a really weird question. Why do we go to church to pray?

I’m not talking about the Mass. I get why we have to go to church for Mass. I was just wondering why we also, in times of particular difficulty, also go to church to, for instance, light a candle and pray before the grotto, or saying a Rosary before the Blessed Sacrament in the chapel. Is it just an instinctive need to be closer to God in a literal House of God, or is there some theological reasoning behind it?

Thanks.

Two reasons. A Church is a Sacred place. Everything in it from the art to the architecture points us toward God.

Second, it allows us the opportunity to pray in the precense of the Blessed Sacrament.

We go because God willed tthat the work of Jesus continue through the Church after the ascension. God willed that Jesus' work of healing, teaching and saving be continuted by the Church on Jesus behalf.

Because Jesus is there, in repose in the tabernacle and exposed in the monastrance.

We go to the doctor's office because that is where the doctor's are. We go to the Church because because that is where Jesus is, that is where he is made present in the world, and that is where his work is continued.

-Tim-

I’m sure there are theological reasons behind it, but for me I like praying in church simply because it is a safe and peaceful place. I can concentrate on prayer easier there than I can at home with the many distractions of family life. I can feel closer to God because, as someone said, I am in His house. I also like praying with other Christians present for that feeling of community and shared belief.

Two reasons. A Church is a Sacred place. Everything in it from the art to the architecture points us toward God.

Second, it allows us the opportunity to pray in the precense of the Blessed Sacrament.

Yes. Also, prayer is stronger as a gathered community.

Jesus told us "And behold, I am with you always, until the end of the age.” We are with him at mass as you said, but sometimes we need him anytime. Through his magnificence, he is with us in the blessed sacrament, where many graces are poured out to those who seek them. Isn't that wonderful!!!

[quote="MJJean, post:4, topic:332215"]
I'm sure there are theological reasons behind it, but for me I like praying in church simply because it is a safe and peaceful place. I can concentrate on prayer easier there than I can at home with the many distractions of family life. I can feel closer to God because, as someone said, I am in His house. I also like praying with other Christians present for that feeling of community and shared belief.

[/quote]

That is my reason too.

[quote="MJJean, post:4, topic:332215"]
I'm sure there are theological reasons behind it, but for me I like praying in church simply because it is a safe and peaceful place. I can concentrate on prayer easier there than I can at home with the many distractions of family life. I can feel closer to God because, as someone said, I am in His house. I also like praying with other Christians present for that feeling of community and shared belief.

[/quote]

That's the same for me. It's something about the vibe of a Church (the sounds, smells, etc.) that can get me in that space to focus and pray. Not that I don't pray elsewhere, but it's easier in a Church. I love the quiet...

[quote="Aphraxus, post:1, topic:332215"]
....] Why do we go to church to pray? ....] I was just wondering why we also, in times of particular difficulty, also go to church to, for instance, light a candle and pray before the grotto, or saying a Rosary before the Blessed Sacrament in the chapel. Is it just an instinctive need to be closer to God in a literal House of God, or is there some theological reasoning behind it?

[/quote]

Maybe it's instinctive and theological...

[quote="TimothyH, post:3, topic:332215"]
....] Because Jesus is there, in repose in the tabernacle and exposed in the monastrance.....]We go to the Church because that is where Jesus is ....]

[/quote]

Sometimes I just want to go and be with my Friend and pour my heart out. And since prayer starts with God, I think He wants to be with me too. :console:

There is another Catholic parish a few miles away that closes it’s doors at 9pm. I’ll stop in sometimes at night and pray for a while. It’s a House of God, a sacred place where the monstrance is present for all to see. This parish means a lot to me as well. It’s where I was baptized as an infant. I feel comfort just being there.

When I was a Protestant I would not have even considered going to our church building to pray when there was not a worship service scheduled, and if the pastor saw anybody there, I'm sure he would be surprised.

Most of the Protestant church sanctuaries I've been in were not particularly beautiful and inspiring, especially the converted store-fronts!

But the big difference is the real presence of Christ in Blessed Sacrament. I stop into a Catholic Church building to pray and be near Jesus in a unique way.

[quote="Aphraxus, post:1, topic:332215"]

Hi. I have a really weird question. Why do we go to church to pray?

I'm not talking about the Mass. I get why we have to go to church for Mass. I was just wondering why we also, in times of particular difficulty, also go to church to, for instance, light a candle and pray before the grotto, or saying a Rosary before the Blessed Sacrament in the chapel. Is it just an instinctive need to be closer to God in a literal House of God, or is there some theological reasoning behind it?

Thanks.

[/quote]

Most people need spiritual retreats from their mundane activities. When you go to work, for example, your mindset and actions (e.g., eating breakfast, scheduling tasks, organising paperwork) prepare your work performance. Of course God hears you perfectly well in the office, but by nature of where you are, your mindset and actions are not as focused on prayer as you might be in a church.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.