Why do we have Evening Prayer one and two on weekends?

I am trying to learn how to participate in the Liturgy of the hours (shorter Christian Prayer version) - I am confused as to why it goes from Saturday morning prayer to Sunday evening then to Sunday morning and then back to Sunday evening - could some one tell me what we are supposed to do on Saturday evenings - thanks for your help

Hi,

Saturday night is considered the beginning of Sunday. This is why we are able to have the Sunday Vigil Mass on Saturday night. So there is no “Saturday night Evening Prayer.” On Saturday night we have “Sunday Evening Prayer 1.” On Sunday we have “Sunday Evening Prayer 2.” In the past when we used the original names for the Hours, we had 'First Vespers" on Saturday night and “Second Vespers” on Sunday night. This is a very old practice. This holds for the celebration of solemnities (All Saints, Immaculate Conception, St. Joseph, etc) as well.

Fr. Vincent Serpa, O.P.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.