Why do we have holy days where they should not be?

Some events in one Gospel are not how they go in another, but some are clear, such as Mary’s assumption, tough not in the Bible, would not happened shortly before Holy Week. Why not have it after Easter.
BTW Why is her queenship not a holy day? come to think of it, why is that not a 5th Marian dogma, followed by her being Coredemptrix, Mediatrix and Advocate or the latter could precede the former? Why have we stuck with only 5 in our minds? I hope that ties with the Protestants, Jews or whoever isn’t stopping us. I think that would show a profound lack of faith on the part of our leaders. I went to my brother’s non-canonical wedding, fearing some Catholic family would become guilty of mortal sin, if they knew why I wasn’t attending. I should have put it in Mary’s hands. We should let God, through Mary, work on interreligious relations. Anything different is false ecumenism, in my opinion.

can you clear this paragraph up a little, i dont follow? the assumption is aug 15. the annunciation is on march 25, 9 months before christmas day.

I think you’re confusing ANNUNCIATION (which is 25 March; 9 mos before Christmas) with ASSUMPTION (15 August).

As for the rest of your post, it makes no sense at all. What are you talking about?

Assumption is August 15.

Annunciation, which most definitely IS in the Gospel, is celebrated March 25 and that makes perfect sense since it’s 9 months before we celebrate Jesus’ birth.

Mary’s as co-redemptorix is not something that all theologians agree on and it has been rejected before.

When we celebrate her as Mary, Mother of God, doesn’t that say everything?

Yeah, I meant Annunciation. Why is it placed so close to Holy Week. Start it after Easter, as that’s when the first act that leads to our salvation begins.

Not all theologians may agree, but something of the kind has been conceived in the acient past of the Church. If you bring in advisors of another belief system to a council, are you not going to worry what they think? Other Christians should be kept out of the Church’s business, interpreting the Bible. God gives us the knowledge he wants to give us, when He wants to give it to us, through the Church. Ecumenism is about being nice to others not of The Faith and working on clearing away their misconceptions; not being concerned how they feel about how we honor Mary, other saints, the angels, etc… I know of non-traditionalists who feel ecumenism has prevented any deeper understanding of Mary’s role on Mary to be declared formally. Then again, I guess Pope St. Pius 12th never consecrated Russia so I don’t know. Still, it seems it would be harder after the '60s. I’ve even read a pretty important rabbi’s (Levin, I think) comments about how liberals are hindering our Church from reuniting with the SSPX . blogs.telegraph.co.uk/damian_thompson/blog/2009/02/12/prominent_orthodox_rabbi_backs_pope_over_lifting_sspx_excommunications

Well, you will hear quotes from Protestant authors that do not violate Catholic doctrine, before you hear anything good written by the SSPX. Clergy are fallible people. Infallibility is just a grace given the Pope at choice times. We’ve had corrupted clergy in the Church’s past. Who’s to say it isn’t happening now, though maybe to a lesser extent in recent years. I still believe in the Church and that even corrupted clergy can confect the host and absolve, provided they have the right matter and form and, in some cases, jurisdiction.

so you’re saying christmas should be moved to late january early february as well?

Annunciation (the day Mary became pregnant) is exactly where it should be, 9 months before Jesus’ birth. Moving Annunciation means moving Christmas.

The Annunciation is exactly 9 months before Christmas which is the birth of Christ. This shows Christ’s perfection.

If the Annunciation is moved then Christmas must also be moved.

Also there were no non-catholic “advisors” at any council. What there was is non-catholic observers which is a totally different thing.

Annunciation has NOTHING to do with Lent or Holy Week. It’s only accidental that it seems to fall so near to it.

On the Revised Julian Calendar (followed by most Orthodox and some Eastern Catholics), Annunciation can fall before Lent begins.

The whole point of the Annunciation is that it takes place 9 mos before Christmas.

Just like the Immaculate Conception of Our Lady takes place 9 mos before her Nativity on 8 September–or did you know that?

:hmmm:

Have you considered auditing the RCIA program as a refresher?

A good ‘sit-down’ with a priest you trust for an hour once in a while would help too, if you do not already do so.

[FONT=Arial]Good luck,*
Michael*[/FONT]

:hmmm:

Have you considered auditing the RCIA program as a refresher?

A good ‘sit-down’ with a priest you trust for an hour once in a while would help too, if you do not already do so.

[FONT=Arial]Good luck,*
Michael*[/FONT]

It occurred to me that foolishmortal might be under the impression that the liturgical year is arranged according to the order of the mysteries of the Rosary.

It’s not.

This is one of those issues where I am just obedient to the Church and “just do it.” I’m sure that the Pope and Bishops have their reasons. I trust that they know what is best for my soul and that they know best when to put the Holy Days.

Somethings I just have to accept on faith when I don’t understand or comprehend them.

I’m not trying to change something this insignificant. I’m just thinking that, though some things are not in the same chronological order in The Gospels, it was just strange. I guess it cannot be arranged so that 9 months before Christmas would come after Easter. Easter does come in late March, sometimes, but I don’t know if it’s ever come before The Annunciation feast day.

The earliest it can occur is March 23, but that doesn’t happen often, only twice since 1900 (in 1913 & 2008). It occurred on March 24 back in 1940 and exactly on the same day as Annunciation in 1951, and will occur again on that date in 2035 & 2046.

“So you’re saying there’s a chance?” from Dumb and Dumber

I think my birthday fell on Easter. I’m going to check that out. It did fall on the farewell episode of “Cheers”.

In the Western computation of Easter, it can fall between 22 March and 25 April.

March 22, 23, and 24 are before Annunciation.

It’s rare, but it can happen.

Sometimes Easter and Annunciation coincide.

A few years ago Annunciation fell on Good Friday.

Have you thought that the Gospels have roughly 33 years of history to tell (from Christ’s birth to his ascension) while the Church has exactly 365 days to fit all those events into? Sometimes you have to have the “story lines” run concurrently so you wind up with the Annunciation during Lent and right before Easter.

The Church tries to make things flow correctly (i.e. Annuciation falls nine months before Christmas) with the chronological year that she is given.

Would you prefer that we define one liturgical year as being 33 chronological years? That way you can have Biblical accuracy. However, we’d only have Christmas and Easter once every 33 chronological year.

I’m not saying to change anything. I’m just saying I can’t get into an Annunciation frame of mind during Lent. I think Easter, for the Western Church, is like the first Sunday after the first full moon after Spring. If Easter were made to be the first Sunday after Spring, you might fit Easter in first more of the time, but I think the Western Church likes it to fall on the Passover weekend. I don’t know how Eastern rites schedule Easter, but it doesn’t fall on Passover if it’s like 2 weeks after ours. I had pondered joining an Eastern Catholic rite so I could have my Easter be all about Jesus, as opposed to it being shared with the bunny god of some ancient pagan religion. Do Eastern rites have Divine Mercy Sunday and is it a week after their Easter Sunday?

And there would be an awful lot of dry spells, since we have no record of what Christ was up to most years of his life.

DISCLAIMER: The views and opinions expressed in these forums do not necessarily reflect those of Catholic Answers. For official apologetics resources please visit www.catholic.com.